Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hitting ESC while in Title Designer closes editing session WITHOUT save ... ;-(
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
Why does hitting ESC close Title Designer WITHOUT saving your editing session? Has anyone seen this before? Is it a repeatable bug? NEEDS TO BE FIXED ... very frustrating!!!
[Post New]
If I understand right.
You must close Title Designer at Save button to update your editing or Cancel to exit without saving. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
If the ESC key is hit accidentally, Title Designer just shuts down without SAVING and you lose your editing session.
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just to protect your editing session, SAVE really shouldn't close Title Designer. I think it would be better to allow SAVE to just save your current session and leave Title Designer open so you can continue editing work. Having to close the window to just save your session (and then have to re-open) is just wasting time.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Just to protect your editing session, SAVE really shouldn't close Title Designer.

Use SAVE AS.

ESC = cancel

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 24. 2013 15:45

SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Title Designer should NOT automatically close when ESC (or any key sequence) is hit, especially when text entry or formatting changes have been made. From a programming perspective, the standard mechanism for addressing this is to pop-up a confirmation dialog asking if you want to SAVE before exiting. All of your text entry work should not automatically disappear because you mistakenly hit a pre-defined key sequence.

SAVE AS does keep Title Designer open BUT it is saving a text template not the actual text slide that is being generated. So it's use here really doesn't apply.
SoCalDude
Member Location: Sunny Southern California Joined: Aug 12, 2013 20:48 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
I vote for having a confirmation before the window closes because of an errant <Esc> key press.

The confirmation should ask if you want to close the window without saving, providing two buttons, "OK" and "Cancel". If you don't want to close without saving, then clicking on the "Cancel" button returns you to that window so you can save it. ---
- PowerDirector 13 Ultimate
- DJI Phantom 4 Drone
- GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition (two of these)
- Kodak Zx5 HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera
- Canon PowerShot SD1300 (HD video & stills
- Canon EOS 40D DSLR w/lots of lenses--my favorite being a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If the ESC key is hit accidentally, Title Designer just shuts down without SAVING and you lose your editing session.

If it hurts when you do that...don't do that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2013 21:37

SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, ESC is a typical cancel key in Windows and when editing a specific text portion and wanting to quit that specific editing portion, I instinctively hit ESC. Can I "un-learn" that, sure, but should I have to? And no matter what, PD should NEVER cancel anything that is lost forever without getting confirmation.

I've posted this problem to CyberLink and they confirm it is an issue but gave no indication of when/if it will be fixed. Not good ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2013 21:48

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not saying it ain't a good idea, just ain't good today. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well, ESC is a typical cancel key in Windows
So all editing SHOULD be lost if you cancel. I see no issue here as you are cancelling all edits.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
So all editing SHOULD be lost if you cancel. I see no issue here as you are cancelling all edits.

Quote:
Quote: If the ESC key is hit accidentally, Title Designer just shuts down without SAVING and you lose your editing session.

If it hurts when you do that...don't do that.

Hi SeaLyon99,
This is a unique post. Ever since the PowerDirector forums started I cant recall ever reading a post about hitting the Esc button on the keyboard. I've quoted the latest two succinct opinions and they're really spot on in my view.

Please go to Edit/Keyboard Hotkeys/Customize and see if you can add Esc to your Keyboard controls - as you want it to perform in PDR11.

Dafydd

[Thumb - SD-2013-02-170.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-170.png
[Disk]
 Description
Customize Keyboard - Alt+H
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2013 04:39

SoCalDude
Member Location: Sunny Southern California Joined: Aug 12, 2013 20:48 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

If your logic is valid, then if I choose "File > New Project", why does PD ask me if I want to save my currently loaded project if it has changed? I told PD I want a NEW project, so it should just take me there (and discard all my current changes), right? I disagree--and apparently CyberLink disagrees, also.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2013 14:05