Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cut/Paste between Title Designer Windows ??? -- POSSIBLE BUG
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 26, 2013 09:16 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not able to do a cut/paste between Title Designer windows and I'm not sure why. Running Win7 PRO. Can anyone confirm that cut/paste is NOT working between Title Designer windows? If so, that's definitely a bug, so hopefully it can be fixed.
[Post New]
It really does not show the Cut option in the menu, Title Designer.
You can use the keys Ctrl + X (cut) that is the same.
Also Ctrl + C (Copy) Ctrl + V (Paste)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 24. 2013 10:22

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've been using CTRL-C / CTRL-V and that is what is NOT working. I can cut/copy WITHIN a single Title Designer window but PD doesn't appear to save the clipboard contents if I close one Title Designer window and open another to paste into. In this case, CTRL-V pastes nothing.
[Post New]
Sorry my mistake, the right is Select the text to cut and press the keys Ctrl + X (Cut)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 24. 2013 10:46

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi SeaLyon99 -

There must be something wrong at your end, I think.

Here both options - right click copy/cut/paste & Ctrl+C/Ctrl_X/Ctrl+V - work, whether you're copying the whole title (unselected text) or copying only selected text to paste within the same title.

The only thing sadly missing is Ctrl+A

Se attached screen capture.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Title_Copy Paste.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
708 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
279 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Here both options - right click copy/cut/paste & Ctrl+C/Ctrl_X/Ctrl+V - work, whether you're copying the whole title (unselected text) or copying only selected text to paste within the same title.

...and here as well, Tony. Yet, as SeaLyon99 notes: "...but PD doesn't appear to save the clipboard contents if I close one Title Designer window and open another to paste into."
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ah borgus! Thank goodness one of us is reading it properly!

I took "Title Designer Windows" to mean text boxes within Title Designer.

OK Sealyon99 - take back what I said. Sorry I misunderstood. It's not a bug. That's just how it is. You can copy text from Notepad, Word etc into Title Designer, but you can't copy text from TD and paste it elsewhere.

All you need to is:
1. Make your title and save it
2. In the timeline - right click on the title and copy.
3. Place timeline marker and paste
4. Open the pasted title and modify.

Cheers - Tony
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the clarification but that does not make sense. I'd certainly say this should be considered a BUG. Why should cut/copy/paste NOT work within Title Designer windows? I've rarely seen such a problem in any application for many years, standard windows cut/copy/paste is too easy to implement and is not typically screwed up.

The process you outline allows you to copy a complete text title (and I've used that before when needed). But what needs to be done is to gather sections of existing text (formatted) and re-build a new title from that gathered text (without have to re-type & re-format everything!). It's not just the text, all of the associated formatting are also things that should be able to be moved between Title Designer windows. Having to re-type & re-format everything is just wasting time and that can be alot of time!

This problem actually goes deeper. I can't even use cut/copy/paste to BRING IN external text into Title Designer. I typically script-out text segments for my videos BEFORE physically entering them into my video application. So I have external text files with a good part of my text (i.e. titles, sub-titles, descriptive text, etc.) already put together. I want to be able to copy that text from my external source and PASTE IT into PD. It's not letting me do this. So now, I have to re-type everything, yet another huge waste of time. And if I edit text within PD and want to COPY IT OUT of Title Designer and paste into another windows application, I can't do that either. Again, standard windows cut/copy/paste shouldn't be something PD (or any professional application) has trouble with.

I guess people can just accept this as "that's the way it is" but think about it for a second and there's no way it should be this way. Can anyone point out another windows application that has this type of problem with cut/copy/paste operations? This is just causing users to waste valuable time and that SHOULD NOT be a design goal of any application, especially a video editor.
[Post New]
I agree with almost everything vove spoke, however which you say I can not copy text from an external editor and paste in title designer is not true, use the Ctrl + V do it all the time.
To use the same templante in the same project folder to Split the text block as many times, you can also save as templante the library Titlos.
The only thing that really bothers me is that the scrolling does not work properly, you need to drag the text box to become visible in typing, so for long texts, I add the previously typed text in Word or Notepad. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SeaLyon99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, my mistake. Yes, you can paste text from an external application INTO Title Designer. But you can't get text out of Title Designer nor copy/paste text & formatting between Title Designer windows. PD just has very odd support for standard windows cut/copy/paste operations. It shouldn't be that way.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi SeaLyon -

I'm sorry if I gave the impression of defending the way PD's titles function (or not). I wasn't. I was just trying to clarify what PD does and how.

I agree it's not very clever design because it doesn't align with standard windows functions. i.e. whatever you copy remains on the clipboard and remains "pasteable" in an appropriate application.

... just as you would agree with me that the inability to use Ctrl+A to select all text within a text box ought to be included as a basic function.

I would describe it more as a design flaw than a bug. It works as intended - it's just that the intention isn't very good.

Cheers - Tony
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
These are the little things that might be a good idea to log into CL and place a support ticket with that suggestion.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]

This is one of my pet peeves about PD.

I already submitted a ticket about this and many other issues.
Any issue you find- submit it. The only way to shake the trees and hopefully get things fixed.

See Issue # 9 in this quick vid I made:

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be