Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Project Recover - How?
Reeltripp [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2013 11:41 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a program that can recover a project that does not open? What program can open the *.db files in a project? PhD pop ups a message that the project is being checked, but then it crashes.

Project Copy #9 12,240 pictures started crashing after I tried to backup project, and Export Project (failed to copy face data) using PhD4 v3926 that Tech Support had me to install on 8/22.
Project Copy #8 9,094 pictures opened but after trying an Export Project ( failed to copy face data) will no longer open. It did successfully Export Selected Pictures (7 pics)
Project Copy #7 8,430 will open but I don't dare try to backup or Export Project.
I have not lost any pictures but if I start with copy 7 then I have to import, tag and face about 400 pictures again. And it looks like the odds are good that the new copy (10?) will fail.

So that's why I'm looking for a stand along program to check and fix a project.
[Post New]
Hello Reeltripp,

When I first started using the early release versions of PhD4, I was having issues with project files becoming "corrupted". At the time, the only way around it was to delete the project from my system. Those issues haven't repeated themselves since the official launch (for me, at least).

I understand you're facing a more difficult problem because your projects contain large numbers of files, with tag & folder organisation.

From what I understand, PhD is crashing during the backup process and the Export Project function isn't transferring face tags to the exported project. When I started reading your post I wondered whether "Export Project" might help you, but it obviously doesn't.

I'm really sorry I have no answer for you. As far as I know, PhotoDirector doesn't make auto-save backups or that might provide us with a solution.

I'd strongly urge you to contact technical support. I will refer your issue to CL contacts to see whether there may be a way to help.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
You may have alerted us to a side issue, Reeltripp.

I've just exported 3 projects, leaving the default options checked (include originals, face tags etc). In all three tests, the exported projects opened with incomplete tag information. Not face tags.

I'll test further and refer the issue to CL.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Reeltripp [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have a Support Ticket in Tech Support. They have been very cordial but can't figure out the problem. When I updated my graphics driver at their suggestion, things seem to work as far as opening projects, but Project Export and Backup would not save face data. They had me re-install PhD (same version but a newer build). Since then every Project I open gets corrupted. I've lost all copies back to a project where I have less than 800 pictures.

I am waiting on a new release before I start building back my main project. I will use the Export Selected Photos capability that I just posted about.
Reeltripp [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried opening my main project this morning, like I do several times a day, and to my surprise, it opened! I Exported Photos in approximate 1000 picture groups, until I got 9,180 saved with tag and face data. I then tried to Export the project but that failed to save face data. I used Backup and when finished there was no face information in the backup. And now the main project will not open. Still waiting on Tech Service.
Reeltripp [Avatar]
[Post New]
30/8/2013 - Failing to get my main project open, I started with a blank project and started to import the pictures I had saved with tag and face data. When my total picture count hit 1951, Backup did not save face data. When I got to 4478, Export Project would not save face data. When I got to 5861, the project and a copy of the project opened. I ran Tag Faces on the last group of pictures imported, shut down, and made a copy. When I came back the project would not open and the copy would not open.
1/9/2013 - My new project still will not open, but my old main project with 9144 pictures opened. Made a copy of it and the copy works. Tagged some faces, deleted some duplicate pictures, imported a few pictures and tagged faces on them. Seems like PhD is working but I don't dare try to Backup or Export Project. I think that corrupts large face databases. Still waiting on Tech Support to figure that out.

I have increased my preview cache to 32gb, I don't touch anything until the program stops loading, and I turn off face tagging before I shut down. And then I make a copy.
Reeltripp [Avatar]
[Post New]
For two days PhD has worked. I've imported, tagged and faced about 900 pictures to where my new record is 10,030. I shut down like normal and made a copy. Now neither the main project or the copy will open. Neither will the previous two copies. I have to go back to copies in the 6,000 range to successfully open a project.
I watched memory usage when opening different projects and it looks like the successful projects slowly build up to 300mb while the projects that crash slowly build to 300mb then start grabbing large chunks (100-200mb) until memory usage reaches 930mb, then crash.
There may be a limit of 1 gb on memory in my PC. I'll look into that.
Morris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 17, 2015 13:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Reeltrip - I'm having the same problem. Were ever able to resolve this and how did you do that?

Thanks,
Morris