Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Question on Packed Project
SoCalDude
Member Location: Sunny Southern California Joined: Aug 12, 2013 20:48 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
So, after watching the video (see link below) on PowerDirector project management, if I were to follow those tips by putting all my project assets into this new working folder scheme, what is the difference between that working folder and the packed project folder (other than the various sequentially saved PDS files as the video recommends)?

When I see the word "packed", I automatically think "compressed/zipped", but it appears this is not the case.

http://youtu.be/FAOnn8g0C_o
---
- PowerDirector 13 Ultimate
- DJI Phantom 4 Drone
- GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition (two of these)
- Kodak Zx5 HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera
- Canon PowerShot SD1300 (HD video & stills
- Canon EOS 40D DSLR w/lots of lenses--my favorite being a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
The key to appreciating the difference in a packed project is understanding the structure of a .pds file.

The .pds file holds the "editing instructions" and asset status of the project at the time of saving.

As regards the assets, which are the usual source/cause of problems, the .pds file hard codes the asset locations. This is very useful if the assets are scattered over multiple locations including local and external drives.

However, it is useless if those assets are re-named, re-located or the external drives are re-addressed. Then the .pds file cannot automatically find them and the browse facility is triggered. All is well if all the assets can be manually located but sometimes that is not the case.

Placing copies of all the assets in a project folder minimises the problem, but does not address the potential problem caused by the hard coding of file locations. This is particularly important if a project needs to be transported to another system or drive, which may have different drive letters.

Packing the project, to a location of choice, removes the hard coding and allows the .pds to "assume" all project asset locations are within the local packed folder - in effect giving a portable project.

It should be noted that this applies to project assets only, rather than any customised aspects of PD itself - titles etc. - which may be used in a project on one system but not available on another.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
SoCalDude
Member Location: Sunny Southern California Joined: Aug 12, 2013 20:48 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...the .pds file hard codes the asset locations ... Placing copies of all the assets in a project folder minimises the problem, but does not address the potential problem caused by the hard coding of file locations.

So, if all the assets, including the PDS, are in the folder, "c:\foo\", then what you are saying is that the PDS still refers to them with an absolute path (e.g. "c:\foo\some_asset.avi") and not by relative path--in which case just the asset name would suffice?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 16. 2013 17:20

---
- DJI Phantom 4 Drone
- Canon EOS 40D DSLR w/lots of lenses--my favorite being a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if this helps, but here's an entry from two versions of the same project. The first is from the packed project & the second from the (same) unpacked project.

The entry refers to a .png file "HL_Open". The packed project points only to the name of the asset. The unpacked project contains the file path.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Packed-unpacked_PDS.png]
 Filename
Packed-unpacked_PDS.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
193 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 16. 2013 18:28

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
SoCalDude
[Post New]
Thanks.

If the asset was in the same folder as the project file, then what does the SRC= look like? Does it still have the full path? ---
- DJI Phantom 4 Drone
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
In the packed project shown above, all assets & the PDS file are in one folder.

In the unpacked project, the PDS file & the assets are in separate locations & in various sub-folders. That's why the entry is SRC=C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\ABC\GFX\HL_Open.png"

Adrian's far more "all over this" than me and may be able to explain it better.

Cheers - Tony
SoCalDude
[Post New]
Understood.

But if all assets are in one folder, but not as a result of packing the project, is the path (or lack thereof) the same?

I guess I should just test this myself. I'll try it out later... ---
- DJI Phantom 4 Drone
ynotfish
[Post New]
That's the best way!

Even if you store the .pds file in the same folder as your assets, it will still include the file path. It's only when you pack the project materials that the .pds file only refers to the name.

Cheers - Tony