Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No 6x speed BD burning in Director 11?
Sabineko [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2013 15:17 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Does Director 11 support burning BD-R discs faster than 4x?

I've got a Sony BDRW BDX-S500U USB2.0 drive (firmware 1.D1) that is supposed to be able to burn BD-R discs at 6x speed. I'm using TDK 6x speed media but when I burn a BD project in Director (using the "Create Disc" tab) it only lets me select 2x or 4x from the speed options.

Discs created are fine and work but I want to burn faster.

Director pre-encodes the entire disc image to the SSD hard disk first and then spools it out to the burner.

Win7x64, Core i7 machine, 8GB RAM

Anyone managed to burn faster than 4x?
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Well in my finding that by burning DVD at the maximum burn speed of your DVD burner causes skips, stuttering and other problems. I have a DVD burner capable of quite high burn speeds and I NEVER burn at the maximum due to the mentioned reasons.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Sabineko [Avatar]
[Post New]
Checking the details of the Sony burner, it uses CAV burn mode for 6x BD-R (single layer) but Z-CLV for 4x and CLV for 2x, so maybe Director doesn't support switching to CAV burning mode?
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Well you could select burn to 'Folder' then use another software to burn the DVD from that folder as PD creates all the necessary files.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Sabineko [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll just put up with the 4x burning speed until they fix it. 6x is only 50% faster and out of the 95 mins it takes to make a disc, the burn time is only about 35 mins, so it's not worth faffing about with another burning package to gain a maximum of 12 minutes.

So much for having bought an 'all in one' integrated solution

I had expected the burner software to work at 6x though, as Sony bundled Media Suite 8 with the burner and I upgraded it to MS11 to get the newer Director with more options for video format. But maybe Sony had Cyberlink tweak the MS8 software they bundled to get a special OEM version that works at 6x.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Before I retired one of my weekly activities was duplicating CD's and DVD's with an average run of 500 discs and I've burnt many 10's of thousands of discs. I could guarantee that when the duplicator started to churn drink mats out, it was because I had accidentally got it running at max speed. Whether I was doing a run or an odd disc, I always burnt at 50% of the drive capability and I found it saved time in the long run.

Just my 2p's worth...