Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MOVING PROJECT FROM EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE BACK TO COMPUTER
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bend, Oregon USA Joined: Apr 25, 2010 03:27 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 11 build version 3026
I am new to the forum and earlier posted this topic in the wrong category and apologize. I am reposting it here for additional information.

I have been working on a project for quite some time and have saved the 1 hour and 40 minute file to my C hard drive. I wanted to a save a copy of the project to my external HD and saved it like a normal file not knowing it had to be Packed. I just now Packed the project on the external drive in preparation to move ti back to the C drive... but got to thinking I might mess something up if I moved it back to the C drive... so I haven't.

As you can tell I am now a bit confused in the proper procedure of saving versus backing up (or is there a difference?). This is a very important project and hope I didn't lose the links to photos and video files. Please give me advice what to do and the proper procedure to now save back to my C drive (what do I do with the Packed project on the external drive)? Also advise proper way to save, name the file, and how to properly back up the project to the external drive.

I do have another question. I normally manually save the file every 5 minutes. Should I save it w?th a different version number each time and does that create another huge file each time I do this. Also each time I render the file and burn a dvd does that save that huge file too? (I posted this question and a Senior Analyst responded with the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are going to store the project on an external drive, you should pack the project and copy the packed project folder to the external drive. Pack project copies everything on the timeline to the packed folder. If you have additional assets you should also copy them to the Packed project.

You should also save your project As using a new number.

Project managment part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

Project managment Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CYLYIynB0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I responded to his information with the following situation:

Please be aware I did do some editing and import pictures while on the external hard drive.

"Even though I have packed the project on my external HD, it is not big enough to move all my assets from my computer to it. So I need help in moving the necessary packed project and or files back to my computer's hard drive. Do I need to move the packed project or just do a SAVE AS into the directory where my assets or PDS file is on my computer. Please keep in mind that my main project directory has a number of sub directories.

After I move the information should I try to render and produce a DVD to see if it works? If it does, wouldn't it be a back up copy of the project?

I would really appreciate if some could give me a helping hand."
Guido 5052
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guido,

You should just be able to double click on your Project.pds file on your external HD and it will open and load up all your clips and files that you used in that project. No real need to move it back to the C: drive.

I have all my finished projects backed up on external drives and this is how I do it if I need to re-open an old project.

You can also add new things and update and re-save However- you will need to Repack the project again to a different directory to make sure all the new stuff and any updated stuff gets packed in so you can use in the future.

Also - best practice- save different numbered .pds files as shown in the video. When you are happy you can rename the .pds file the final name. Like "MyProjectFinal August 7th 2013.pds" or whatever name you decide.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
[Post New]
Adding you do not need to name each time you save the project in progress, only the 1st time, then click disk icon (or menu File / Save Project) or Ctrl + S saves the same name automatically.
PD11 also has autosave every 10 minutes by default, but here has not been reliable I save manually every two, three minutes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2013 18:27

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bend, Oregon USA Joined: Apr 25, 2010 03:27 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Rob thank you for the quick reply. I was just a bit confused as the project file on my C drive is around 10gig. As I said I just saved the file to the external HD not knowing I had to pack it. I just want to make it clear I did some editing and saved the file. then I packed the project. So if I click the pds file it not only looks on the external HD but back on my C drive where all the original assets are. Is that correct?

thanks again for your help Rob. Guido 5052
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I believe if you created a project and packed or moved some (or all of the files) PD ask if you want to 'Browse' for the files. and once located will import them. PD just creates a script of the location of the files and effects incorporated, it does not save the actual video clips.
Jim
p.s.I refer to a script but it could be an XML file...
Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
[Post New]
James1,

Thank you for the quick response. I very much appreciate your advice and input.

Please be advised that I don't recall every being asked if I wanted to browse for the files. Is there a setting I need to turn on?

Thanks again... Guido 5052
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Playsound,

Thank you for the tip about saving. I am very impressed with the quick response all you folks have made.

Guido 5052
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guido S 5052 ,
1. Saving a pds to a connected external hard drive is not a problem so long as you don't disconnect the drive.
2. Using the external HDD as a source location for media files has the same restriction - don't disconnect.
3. The Properties/File/Export folder location and the last place you saved a pds file to, is retained as two distinct addresses, they don't have to be the same.
4. Packing a project is used to store the data and move between computers. File/Export/Pack Project Materials.
5. An external hard drive can be slower to recall media data and go into sleep mode.
6. To save your project and to prevent over-writing corruption, select to save project to a new name each time. Ctrl+Shift+S. 001.pds, 002.pds for example

Just 4 pennies worth.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 12. 2013 04:02

Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko,

After reading your message it appears that you prefer the PDS be saved to the computer hard drive for the reason of speed and I see your point due to the large size of the project. Then there is the problem of the sleep mode.

Did you notice in my original posting that I originally saved the pds to my external drive without packing it? But now I have packed the external drive in preparation to save it to the computer HDD. Would you be so kind to repeat the steps I need to take to save it back to my computer. I want to make sure this is done right. I have hundreds of hours invested in this project.

Thank you, Guido 5052
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko,

After reading your message it appears that you prefer the PDS be saved to the computer hard drive for the reason of speed and I see your point due to the large size of the project. Then there is the problem of the sleep mode.

Did you notice in my original posting that I originally saved the pds to my external drive without packing it? But now I have packed the external drive in preparation to save it to the computer HDD. Would you be so kind to repeat the steps I need to take to save it back to my computer. I want to make sure this is done right. I have hundreds of hours invested in this project.

Thank you,

Hi Guido S 5052,
Basically you've messed up the storage of your project - correct?
You want to open your project but the locations are split between internal HDD and external HDD, correct?
You're now in a panic as to what to do without losing your data - correct?

Questions:
1. Do you have sufficient room on your C drive for ALL your project data (every single media file you have used or is in the Library room?
2. Can you identify every single files location?

Without precisely knowing what you're facing, I'm going to assume and answer how I'd consider resolving everything.

1. Make a copy of all files (media and pds) and place (paste them) them to a single folder (on your desktop). The worse thing is scattered files being all over the shop. Re-locating to a single place is easiest all round. DO NOT rename any file, you are copy and pasting the same named files, OK? ALL files should be placed on C drive.
2. Make an additional copy of your pds file. Open the copy pds and when the pop up asks you to locate (browse for) the individual project files - you go to the one location (on your desktop, for example). Subsequent files should do the same.
3. When you have completed the task use File/Save project as and save to a new name. Save a project to a new name each time. This is good practice. I use Crtl+Shift+S to save pds file. Example 001.pds, 002.pds etc.

For the record. I have media files on an external HDD. I use a ping software to keep my external awake. I use mainly internal drives as I have sufficient duplicate storage HDD. SDD drives are much faster than HDD, even internals are sluggish compared to SSD's.

Dafydd

Edit. Item 3 added.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 12. 2013 05:14

Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,
Before attempting anything I am going to try to burn the project to a dual layer DVD and see if that will work ok. If it doesn't I will proceed with your instructions. I have answered your questions below. Would you be so kind to answer the questions below so I can proceed if necessary.
1. Yes I have messed up the storage on the project with some files on the C drive and external drive.
2. Yes I have enough room on my C hard drive to save all files (including the external hard drive).
3. For your info the main directory on the C drive is MOH (for Medal of Honor) and it has eleven directories and many photos and videos. In one of the directories is the pds file. There are not as many on the external hard drive. I believe I have all the files identified. If not can't I can find the few if any missing.

4. You said to save all files (that includes directories correct?) in a single folder on the desktop correct? Does it make a difference what it is named? Do I have to have something in the settings that points to the desktop folder?
5. You said to make an additional copy of the pds file. Do you mean one from the c drive and one from the external drive?
6. I just noticed in the settings that the default export directory is pointed to a different project named Bataan (that was for another project. Do I leave it there or do I have it point to the MOH folder? Will this have an effect on this whole process?

I think I understand and have everything. Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Guido 5052
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Dafydd,
Before attempting anything I am going to try to burn the project to a dual layer DVD and see if that will work ok. If it doesn't I will proceed with your instructions. I have answered your questions below. Would you be so kind to answer the questions below so I can proceed if necessary.
1. Yes I have messed up the storage on the project with some files on the C drive and external drive.
2. Yes I have enough room on my C hard drive to save all files (including the external hard drive).
3. For your info the main directory on the C drive is MOH (for Medal of Honor) and it has eleven directories and many photos and videos. In one of the directories is the pds file. There are not as many on the external hard drive. I believe I have all the files identified. If not can't I can find the few if any missing.

4. You said to save all files (that includes directories correct?) in a single folder on the desktop correct? Does it make a difference what it is named? Do I have to have something in the settings that points to the desktop folder?
5. You said to make an additional copy of the pds file. Do you mean one from the c drive and one from the external drive?
6. I just noticed in the settings that the default export directory is pointed to a different project named Bataan (that was for another project. Do I leave it there or do I have it point to the MOH folder? Will this have an effect on this whole process?

I think I understand and have everything. Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Hi Guido S 5052,
So long as you're ok with finding media when asked to browse for it then you can create the directories, named as you wish. Warning, when asked to browse, the full local address doesn't display. It make it a pain to locate "missing" project media. Short addresses help and that's why I didn't mention additional folders etc.
The pds (you previously saved) - I just want you to try opening a pds - when you have everything on your C drive. I wanted you to try opening a copy - in that way, you always have a fall back, if you mess up.
Export location. Temp files are placed in that location by PDR11 - change it to what ever you like. I have my export location as the same place I save my multiple pds files.
You need to try an rescue the situation - don't over think the matter and WORK ON A COPY pds. You can alway make more.

FYI There are Auto save pds files which can provide a back up but you'll need to have all your files in the same directories as you previously had for them to work... does that make sense?

Best of luck

Dafydd
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd ... (FYI...Due to an extended illness, it has been last December since working on this project). FYI part of the confusion on my part is originally when the project was on the C Drive I thought the file could be saved (and backed up) to the external drive by doing a simple Save As to the external drive with the same file name. Then while on the external drive would continue to add media and save. When I was finished for the day I would do a Save As back over to the C drive. The process would be repeated the next day...the last time the project was saved was to the external drive.

I didn't know until later I had to PACK the files on the external drive and paste them to the C Drive (I just observed on the C drive, that I previously Packed the project from the external drive and pasted it onto the C Drive into a directory named PACKED which is under MOH directory). Sorry...How does this complicate the situation? Should I just proceed like you said or does this change the process?

Dafydd... After reading your posts, it will be difficult remembering where each photo, video, sound file, music is located especially if I can't see the full file name. (BTW...I checked the auto save file location and it is not saving the project. I am sure for the reason you mentioned).

I apologize for all the confusion...just trying to get this done before my friend passes. I very much appreciate your assistance and understanding. Guido 5052