Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New to PD. So far, so good! But....
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
So far, I'm loving it, but I'm a little thrown off by one odd thing: The timeline track ordering is reversed! Is there a way to 'reverse' the ordering so that it behaves more intuitively? I mean, if I want to place a video track 'on top' of another track (so that it will be displayed on top of it - like text over a background), then it is just more intuitive to place the track actually on top of it, not under it.

If this is not an option, then I formally submit it as a preferences option in a program patch or near future version of the program.

Does this bother anyone else?

Anyway, besides that I'm having fun learning the program and look forward to future possibilities! For example, a built-in python-like scripting language interface to allow end-users to expand the program's capabilities without resorting to a C++ SDK approach would launch this baby into the stratosphere! Let the end-user community come up with lots of new effects that are not possible with the current available tools. Look at how the Blender 3D community has exploded with new functionality for that program.

Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Hi Russell 1967,

Unless something very surprising happens when PD12 is released
(which is probably round the corner), the timeline will most likely stay as is.
You’ll get the hang of it

Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Russell,

just to add my two cents- it never occurred to me. I just accepted it this way. I played around with other NLEs and they had similar setups. (Unless I am missing what you are saying.)

How about sticking your clip in say track #2 and then you can add another one on top in track #1 ?

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The order of the tracks is higher numbered tracks are on top of lower numbered tracks.

I.E. Track 2 overlays Track 1.
Track 3 overlays Tracks 1 & 2.
The TITLE track overlays all the other tracks.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, it's no problem, just counter-intuitive (to me). I can adapt. It's no biggy, but pretty much every other NLE I've ever seen or used does it the other way (top tracks on the screen = the top tracks in priority - This just seems, to me, the more logical way to represent track priority).

Everything else, so far, is great, fast (it's nice to be able to scroll the timeline cursor pretty much as fast as I want without worrying about borking the program - there are several other NLEs out there that don't react well to this) and reliable.

Looking forward to creating my own effects, too. Stay tuned...

Russell1967 System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Russell1967,
I know what you mean. re the track numbering. I have used other software where one was similar and another where it was opposite.

When PDR first came onto the market everything was Storyboard in presentation, other software had tracks. The PiP* feature was added as a no audio, image only addon and if used carefully the Title track could be used as an additional image overlay. Both of these overlays, PiP and Titles forms were under the main single track. Later the PiP track became a video track. More recently the PiP tracks expanded to multiple ones. As we see it today the tracks content is moveable between all. Tracks to can be moved around. The definition of PiP has really been lost, all tracks act as a continuation of an overlayed PiP, overlaying by the highest number track. PDR11 has evolved from those early days with the layout structure being carried forward.

PiP = Picture in Picture. A PiP was an expandable thumbnail image placed on a video in the beginning. It later became an expandable video, later with audio.

Dafydd
Russell1967
[Post New]
Yeah, the CLPD's definition of PIP is a little different from what I envisioned: Like on a television PIP is the ability to have one or more additional broadcasts shown on top of the main broadcast (great for the sports fan!): It was, literally, a "picture" in a picture. But with CLPD I guess any kind of image or video object arranged on top (well, underneath ) of another is considered a PIP. I can live with this definition, though.

Really, though, these are minor quibbles. I'm just glad I don't have to put up with Pi**acle Studio's frequent crashes and botched DVD burns (after several hours of rendering) anymore...

Take care,
Florent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2013 10:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
i am new with PD 11 ultra, i just updated yesterday, i would like to know if i should removed power director 9 and 10 from my computer since i will be working with PD 11 from now on?

Thank you

Flost
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: i am new with PD 11 ultra, i just updated yesterday, i would like to know if i should removed power director 9 and 10 from my computer since i will be working with PD 11 from now on?

Thank you

Flost

Only if you want to. There is no harm in having more that one version of Powerdirector on your computer.

I have Powerdirector 9 and Powerdirector 11 on my computer. There are differences in the two versions. Since I am answering questions on the forum, I need to check the different versions for answers.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Please don't answer an issue/problem in a hijacked post on the forum. Guide a new member to post as a new topic. PM sent out

Keep the thread focused on the OP's issue.

As the OP's issue has closed, the thread has been locked. Hijacked content has been left insitu but would have been removed if the thread was still active for the OP.

Forum Moderator

Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24769.page

New Topic: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=110

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13. 2013 03:32