Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
shifting of track items when editing within video
Steph0412 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2013 21:55 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
How do you make video material stay aligned on tracks when going back to insert or change something? Everything shifts when changes are made within the tracks.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How do you make video material stay aligned on tracks when going back to insert or change something? Everything shifts when changes are made within the tracks.

That's the nature of non-linear editing - similar to a word processor. Add material to the timeline and it expands the existing material; remove a clip and the timeline contracts.

Please provide an example of precisely what you have in mind; perhaps I have missed the point.
Steph0412 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I think you have. Say I have overlapped 3 things on 3 separate tracks that are lined up and timed together within the video. If I go back into the video to edit, add, or change something on any track then it alters the stuff that line up on 2-3 separate tracks. For instance a background color (on track 1), picture (on track 2), and a frame for that picture (on track 3) - they would all be aligned together. But, if I had a picture on track 1 then tracks 2 and 3 no longer line up with the background on track 1. I have to manually adjust everything to line up again. Make sense? So, is there some way to make overlapped items stay together...by snapping or locking them?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 01. 2013 21:44

[Post New]
Quote: Make sense? So, is there some way to make overlapped items stay together...by snapping or locking them?

Besides the response in this topic http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29328.page
You can group several items that should be together mater.
Select the various items with right click and choose Group Objects
Steph0412 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I attempted that, but I'm not sure what you mean by selecting the items I want to link with the right click. I didn't see the "group items" come up. Sorry, can you explain it more in detail. Just so you know what I'm linking...I have 2-3 objects aligned on the tracks (overlays) and then there's music in there, too. Can I just "snap" the aligned objects together so they move together if I insert or delete something within the timeline?
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Two ways:

1. Hold down ctrl key and left click each object / file and then right click on the selected files you will see the option "Group Objects."

2. Hold down left mouse key and drag over all the objects you want to select and then Right click select "Group objects."

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Steph0412 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Awesome...thanks R. That worked. That will keep them grouped while I add/delete other objects within the timeline, right?