Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to test Hardware Acceleration?
BryanOKC98 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2010 13:57 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I've become pretty computer dumb lately.

I bought a new Dell inspiron 1720r laptop. Core i7; 8G ram 2G video & Win 8

I stupidly upgraded to 8.1 as I heard it brought the start button back; but didn't realize it was going to have some incompatibilities with some software. Not realy sure I'm ready to do a system reset/restore to go back to 8.0 tho.

Anyway I had PD 10Ultra; decided to make a quick movie yesterday; go to 'produce' it, an no matter what method I picked, it basically stopped at 5seconds into the video. (AVG, MP4, AVI, etc) Made sure I had the latest updates, restated laptop a few times; no go.

So I decided to upgrade to PD11 (I tried the trial on a desktop months ago & it doesn't work with my video files) An low & behold go to produce & same thing!

So out of curiosity I turned of HW acceleration and it processed!

So how do I test if I just can't use HW on my laptop; or if maybe I need new drivers (Did chech Nvidea & Said up to date), or ???

Thanks for any tips.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps this will help:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29236.page

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BryanOKC98 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks; I see how to turn it on/off (permanently or for each produce) But how do I know if my hardware is compatible?

Not sure why when I go to device manager I have 2 display adapters (in a laptop) Intel HD Graphics 4000 & Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Not sure why when I go to device manager I have 2 display adapters (in a laptop) Intel HD Graphics 4000 & Nvidia GeForce GT 650M

Are they both shown as enabled and "working properly?"

Consider disabling the Intel graphic via the BIOS. Then run your tests again.
BryanOKC98 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Before I read this; I did a update driver on the Intel (Previously I only checked the Nvida) and rebooted. So far it seems it may have fixed it!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Bryan,

Both display adapters are ok and should show up in your Display adapters.
As long as you right click on your desktop and get the "Nvidia Control Panel" option then you know your laptop is using the 650 GT as the main graphics card.

Upgrading to Win 8.1 for the Start button eh?

I use Classic shell- all the goodness of Win 8 with the option to get some of my old start menus back when I need them... though after using Win 8 for a while now I mostly use it to get a quicker Shutdown.

D/l here for free open source: http://www.classicshell.net/

There are a lot of tweaks and settings to set it up just the way you want it to look.

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
BryanOKC98 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Lesson learned. Just bad timing. I would rather have classic shell now vs 8.1; but afaik to 'uninstall' 8.1 I have to do a system reset (factory wipe).
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The latest Classic Shell works with 8.1 preview release, and as such should not be installed as a primary O/S.

It may not 'play' the same with PD as does 8.0 or Win7.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2013 11:43

[Post New]
After I updated Windows from 8 to 8.1, the checkmarks to enable the HW acceleration no longer work. I also have the Intel 4000 and the nVidia 650M. Using the nVidia control panel, I always have PD11 set to use the nVidia video card.

I would like to know if this is an issue with nVidia or PD on Windows 8.1.
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: After I updated Windows from 8 to 8.1, the checkmarks to enable the HW acceleration no longer work. I also have the Intel 4000 and the nVidia 650M. Using the nVidia control panel, I always have PD11 set to use the nVidia video card.
I would like to know if this is an issue with nVidia or PD on Windows 8.1.

Testing W8.1 here as well, with a NVidia 650. HW acceleration is available and active on this system.

Again, assuming that Intel video is on the motherboard, test with it disabled in the BIOS, if allowed.
If performance degrades or shows no improvement, revert to your prior settings.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2013 19:21

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: but afaik to 'uninstall' 8.1 I have to do a system reset (factory wipe).
Just so you know. When the official 8.1 update is released, you WILL have to wipe your system. The released version will not update or install on the Win8.1 preview.

If you have Western Digital or Seagate hard drive in the laptop, they have limited, free version of Acronis True Image software. I use it to make a boot drive image on my desktop and laptop BEFORE I install previews or beta software. That way I can easily and quickly restore my system. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA