Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving projects from one computer to another
XG-300 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2013 14:27 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone, and I hope someone could help me with my issue:

Would I be able to move my unfinished work onto new computer - moving just the pdf files ?

If not, would I have to produce first, then move the produced files instead ?

My problem is, I am having problems producing any of my unfinished material.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Pack the project on the old computer before you move to the new computer.

File > Export > Pack project materials.

only the 'Stuff' on the timeline will be copied to the Pack Folder. You can copy the rest of your assets into the same folder or create a subfolder of the Pack folder.

The Packed Folder can be moved and opened anywhere, even on a different computer.
Just click on the PDS file to open the project.

Copy the Packed folder to a USB Drive of sufficient size. Copy to a folder on the new computer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 30. 2013 18:23

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

XG-300 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2013 14:27 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you so much for your quick response. This helps out so much, and your advice and help is most appreciated!

Chris
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bend, Oregon USA Joined: Apr 25, 2010 03:27 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 11 build version 3026
This is my first time posting so forgive me for any mistakes. I have been working on a project for quite some time and have saved it to my C hard drive. I wanted to make a save a copy of the project and saved it to my external hard drive. Was I suppose to Pack the project before saving to the external drive? I just now Packed the project on the external drive in preparation to move ti back to the C drive... but got to thinking I might mess something up if I moved it back to the C drive... so I haven't. As you can tell I am now a bit confused in the proper procedure of saving versus backing up (or is there a difference?). This is a very important project and hope I didn't lose the links to photos and video files. Please give me advice what to do and the proper procedure to now save back to my C drive (what do I do with the Packed project on the external drive)? Also advise proper way to save, name the file, and how to properly back up the project to the external drive.

I do have another question. I normally manually save the file every 5 minutes. Should I save it w?th a different version number each time and does that create another huge file each time I do this. Also each time I render the file and burn a dvd does that save that huge file too? I very much would appreciate some help and apologize for the inconvenience. Guido 5052
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have PD 11 build version 3026
This is my first time posting so forgive me for any mistakes. I have been working on a project for quite some time and have saved it to my C hard drive. I wanted to make a save a copy of the project and saved it to my external hard drive. Was I suppose to Pack the project before saving to the external drive? I just now Packed the project on the external drive in preparation to move ti back to the C drive... but got to thinking I might mess something up if I moved it back to the C drive... so I haven't. As you can tell I am now a bit confused in the proper procedure of saving versus backing up (or is there a difference?). This is a very important project and hope I didn't lose the links to photos and video files. Please give me advice what to do and the proper procedure to now save back to my C drive (what do I do with the Packed project on the external drive)? Also advise proper way to save, name the file, and how to properly back up the project to the external drive.

I do have another question. I normally manually save the file every 5 minutes. Should I save it w?th a different version number each time and does that create another huge file each time I do this. Also each time I render the file and burn a dvd does that save that huge file too? I very much would appreciate some help and apologize for the inconvenience.

If you are going to store the project on an external drive, you should pack the project and copy the packed project folder to the external drive.

Pack project copies everything on the timeline to the packed folder. If you have additional assets you should also copy them to the Packed project.

You should also save your project As using a new number.

Project managment part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

Project managment Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2CYLYIynB0

This was a hi-jacked thread, you should have posted a new topic.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2013 12:15

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bend, Oregon USA Joined: Apr 25, 2010 03:27 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I apologize for making the original post as it was not my intention to hi jack the topic. I am very new to the forum. Having that in mind I will repost my question and your answer under a correct topic. (The forum administrator told me earlier to do this).

Thank you very much for your time. Guido 5052