Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
saved projects open and nothing works
RedDog224466 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2013 15:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I recently bought Power Director 11 and am having trouble opening saved files. I save often and when I go to reopen them none of the videos, photos, or sound is there. There are simply black slides where the video and pictures used to be. The only thing that works are text templates that I have created in the program. What I'm told is that an error occurred trying to open this media file...and it does this for every photo, video, or audio clip.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I recently bought Power Director 11 and am having trouble opening saved files. I save often and when I go to reopen them none of the videos, photos, or sound is there. There are simply black slides where the video and pictures used to be. The only thing that works are text templates that I have created in the program. What I'm told is that an error occurred trying to open this media file...and it does this for every photo, video, or audio clip.

Hi RedDog224466,
From the information you've provided I would guess you are importing media files from a moveable drive and when the program opens up (re-opened) the address or location isn't found.

1. Edit media from an internal hard drive and not from a moveable drive.
2. If you use a n external USB drive, do not disconnect it and make sure the drive doesn't go into a sleep mode.
3. When opening up the saved pds file (Use Ctrl+Shift+S to save) you would have been asked to browse for the location for the files - locate the first one and all subsequent media if at the same location should in theory come in correctly.
4. When saving a project do so by using File/Save project as, browse for a suitable location and retain the pds file. Name files in numerical order and to a new name each time. 001.pds, 002.pds for example. In the method outlined you will not cause overwrite saveing issues and you'll have a back up. Save very regularly - best practice.
5. Recovering a project can be achieved using the Auto-saved pds files. Hidden folder address is: C:\Users\Your Computer Name\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\11.0\AutoSave Look to the latest pds saved.

If you have further problems please provide the following:
a) Diagnostic
b) Screen shot of the Edit Workspace.
See guide Part A, B, E & F: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

Dafydd
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RedDog224466,

You indicate that you are new to PD? Perhaps this tutorial may help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOnn8g0C_o

At 00:28 into the tutorial, it addresses and offers an option on how to avoid future instances of...
Quote: There are simply black slides where the video and pictures used to be.

_____________________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Reddog,
Well as Dafydd says you may have imported the files from a removable source and when re-opening the source is not responding. Power Director doesn't actually save the video clip till a produce function is initiated, it creates a script outlining where the sources are located, and if the source is removed then the script is redundant, this may be due to the source external device (if it is a drive ) being in sleep mode, or is a camera not being present.
There is a program (free) that keeps external drives from going to sleep called NoSleep if you apply that you can limit the drive from going into sleep mode.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Use Cranston's link on Project management and always Pack / Export your files to a Dedicated directory to save everything together when saving your final edit.

That way you can open up the project even if you move the original files elsewhere years from now without this issue happening again.

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be