Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 11 Inverse Mask Puzzle
Frankc1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 21, 2012 11:46 Messages: 64 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys. Can someone answer a quick question. This is what you have to do to see what I mean...

Put something in the timeline, photo whatever. Click modify. Click mask. Pick any mask, say a heart for example. Everything disappears as it should except the area covered by mask. Everything outside the mask is black. With me so far? Now if you click top right in the selection box where it comes up as 'Inverse mask' I would have thought everything that was black you could now see and everything that you could see is now black. This is what I was expecting. Except all that happens is my mask disappears. You can now see everything as if the mask was not there. Sometimes the reverse is true, everything goes black, though I cant quite recall how I managed that.

Is this how it should be? Or am I doing something wrong? I tried this with two layers and just the single layer same thing happens.

I was working on a text mask and was playing with the mask and this was not the result I was expecting.. Is it me?
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have put up the screen with the heart mask and with the heart mask inverted. As you can see all that happens with the inverted one is the mask 'disappears' but does not 'invert'
[Thumb - Inverse Heart.jpg]
 Filename
Inverse Heart.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
With the mask inverted.
 Filesize
145 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
157 time(s)
[Thumb - Heart Mask.jpg]
 Filename
Heart Mask.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
With the heart mask
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
173 time(s)
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frankc,

Welcome to the forum... Here are the results I get by following your directions. See attached images
[Thumb - mask inverse.jpg]
 Filename
mask inverse.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
183 time(s)
[Thumb - mask normal.jpg]
 Filename
mask normal.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
110 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)
HP Envy 17
Win10 Pro (64-bit) Intel i7 Core - 4510U @ 2.00GHz 2.60GHz
16GB ram
PowerDirector 11 Ultra 64-bit ver. 11.0.0.3625
Cyberlink Power2Go Deluxe 7.0.0.1827
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes those are the results I expected to get. I do not know why that does not happen on mine. I have all the latest updates and patches etc
Dave456
Senior Member Location: Youngstown, Ohio Joined: Oct 30, 2010 06:46 Messages: 280 Offline
[Post New]
On the inverse mask, are your transparencies set 100%? If I change the transparency to 0% the mask doesn't show.
Also provide full screen shot of your work space of the inverse/modify work area.

Edit: ask second question

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2013 06:19

HP Envy 17
16GB ram
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried setting to 100% and 0% it seems to be the inverse button it does not like. Will try screen shot.
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
These are two pics with mask inversed
[Thumb - inverse at 0 transparancy.JPG]
 Filename
inverse at 0 transparancy.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
167 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
160 time(s)
[Thumb - inverse 100 pc trans.JPG]
 Filename
inverse 100 pc trans.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
173 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
158 time(s)
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Without inverse at 0% and 100%
[Thumb - same but with 0 transparancy.JPG]
 Filename
same but with 0 transparancy.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
176 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
157 time(s)
[Thumb - without inverse.JPG]
 Filename
without inverse.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
174 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
161 time(s)
Dave456
[Post New]
This is your screen shot. I can't explain why it isn't highlighted but other editors may chime in with additional help.
[Thumb - without inverse edit.JPG]
 Filename
without inverse edit.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
455 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
154 time(s)
HP Envy 17
16GB ram
PowerShot SX40HS
Canon Vixia
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think its 'un-highlighted' because I deselected as I went into getting a photo clip of the page. Have since run the program again and even with it highlighted it still does not work.

I have run dxdiag and a few other programs and everything seems to be ok.

Its not the end of the world if this does not work, I was just curious as to why it did not. As I said I have updated everything and checked all the files I can think of.

Mine is the ultra version 3026, which I assume is the latest. Before you suggest re-installing, tried that. I bet its something really simple.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank -

If I understand it correctly, when you apply a mask it displays correctly in PiP Designer and in the main preview screen. Yes? But when you invert any mask, all evidence of the mask disappears... in PiP Designer and the main preview?

You're right to be confounded by that behaviour. You should rightly expect the masks to behave as Dave showed in his screen shots.

Dave - here, the mask only remains highlighted while it's being applied. After it's done & I go back into PiP Designer, no mask is highlighted (even though it's been applied).

Frank - it's a long shot, but it may be just a display issue. Re-installing the latest driver for your GPU might correct the problem.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes you are correct. However the area highlighted in brackets and movable brackets is still visible. The mask itself is not evident. If I inverse the inverse, if you see what I mean, the mask does re-appear.

By re-installing the latest driver for GPU you mean graphics processor unit? If so yes mine is all up to date. Its not just a display problem. I inversed the mask then produced a AVI and there is no sign of the inversed mask on the AVI so it cannot be just a display problem.

I tried re-installing all my PD 11 files, yet again. This time I get a message :- "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid. " It points to a file called 1033.mst Can this have anything to do with it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2013 16:22

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I've never seen that message before and couldn't say whether it's related to your issue.

1033.mst is part of the installer files, but I don't know what it is.

The display suggestion was just a stab in the dark, but if it produces without the mask applied it does rule that idea out.

When you uninstalled previously, did you do it via the Control Panel? or using a dedicated uninstaller? There's something horribly wrong in there somewhere. I'd be blitzing it with Revo Uninstaller then re-installing.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Frank,

At this point can you attach your Dxdaig.txt file so we can have a look at if you don't mind.

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dxdiag found nothing wrong. Also ran a couple of codec checker programs, again nothing. As for uninstalling I do use Revo uninstaller and used it to remove all old traces of PD11.

Looks like I am going to have to live with it. More of a puzzle than anything else.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
696 time(s)
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Frank your video graphics driver is way out of date from 2010.

Try updating it here is the link to the new drivers: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63462

R
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep I agree. But I updated the driver to the latest one and it did not work. So I did a roll back to see if that made a difference. It didnt. However that is a good link and thanks for it
RobAC [Avatar]
[Post New]
The latest Nvidia 320.49 did not work on your system? Interesting. (Make sure you use the full version not the Beta.)

Have you tried the lower, but still modern one v320.18: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/62795

Also doesn't VAIO have an update site for their laptops.. wait here try this link: http://esupport.sony.com/EN/VAIO/

Click the drivers upper right corner. Your other files and drivers are also dated. Sometimes manufacturers mess around with the drivers and using only their internal drivers will work 100%

Your latest 1033.mst points to something in the system that is missing and needs to be re-installed. Don't know what.

Anyway- just a thought hope it points in a right direction to solving your issue.

R
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Vaio computers seem to be made on the sell-and-forget system. I bought the, at the time, latest and most upto date computer I could find. But since buying Sony has produced no updates that I can find. Because it uses a unique graphics card set up in the screen the driver updates never work. I have written to Sony many times in the past and basically got nowhere.

But I do thank you for trying. I shall try those links you put up. Perhaps I am getting to sceptical. As I said will keep trying.
Frankc1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just had a little thought. Is there perhaps a set of inverse images stored in my cyberlink files? So instead of inversing images it simply calls apon the reverse image as it where?

Tried, yet again, to re-install pd still not working. Now to make it worse the Premium content pack wont load, though I must admit I dont even remember whats is in there.

The new error message I am getting is :

"Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are Valid" It then gives the path to RarSFX0\1033.mst.

I think I am doomed to not getting this in working order. I got it as a gift so I am relutant to say anything. Apart from this it works ok

Whats in the Premium pack that I am missing?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 30. 2013 10:55