Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pre-Production: i.e. planning your video
[Post New]
Do y'all use any aids to help plan your video? Such as a word processor, a spreadsheet, something like Celtx?

For example, you are going on a trip to the shore, do you plan ahead of time what you will film? Loading the car, driving 3 hours along the highway, the beach, the pier, etc.

And how about stills?

When I first got my camcorder I tried just shooting everything in sight and then attempted to make a decent video in the edit. I now have tons of Grand Canyon clips and stills and have no idea what they show. There must be a better way.
Custom computer: 8 processors, 16G Ram, ,C: drive 250G solid state. F: (Scratch drive) 2x 500Gb raid (0). G: (Data drive) 2Tb raid (1)
Power director Ultimate 12.0.2230.0
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I do it both ways.

If I am making a video for given subject, I write a script.

Otherwise, for very short videos, i just shoot. But I usually have an idea of what I want to show.

Do y'all use any aids to help plan your video? Such as a word processor, a spreadsheet, something like Celtx?

Yes.

I like Microsoft Word.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
For my YouTube videos I make an outline and write a script. For home videos, like vacations, I film whatever catches my interest. I try to catch the spirit of the trip without filming every little detail. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
When I used to use a film camera I became adept at taking just a few key shots and they turned out well when printed.

I transferred that ideal to the camcorder which I only got into late last year.
Look for the good shots, light etc. take em and move on.
Too much hesitating causes missed shots.

In the age of digital- people now take a gazillion shots and video of damn near everything. To me that's a waste of time. When people are snapping away at something I do two maybe three takes from different angles, including really good still pics using the camcorder I have, then move on. In a crowd- especially amongst other irritating tourists who like to block good shots, I have already got in, did my take then bolted.

Which leaves me wide open with no one around me and I can take my time and keep ahead of everyone else. It takes discipline, focus, a steady hand and knowing your camcorder's capabilities and most importantly what light does to any given subject.

Even before getting back to home base I am already looking through the days take and nuking the irrelevant / blocked crappy shots.

I sometimes use the Storyboard mode of Power Director to lay out in chronological order my days shoot and then decide how to proceed with the story and the highlights I want to show others. Then off to the edit screen to make even more cuts.

My mantra has always been: Don't think too much- just get er done.

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
[Post New]
What helped on the Grand Canyon project was shooting or snapping signs that told me where I was. "You are here" is my friend. The daily review/edit/cull is a great idea Rob. Custom computer: 8 processors, 16G Ram, ,C: drive 250G solid state. F: (Scratch drive) 2x 500Gb raid (0). G: (Data drive) 2Tb raid (1)
Power director Ultimate 12.0.2230.0
Chris Tayler [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Sep 07, 2011 02:34 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
Most of my work is holiday videos (more stills than actual video)
Given I tend to travel for a day to get to the USA or Canada etc - and am booking 6 to 12 months in advance
I pre do titles - graphics etc, before I go

I tend to do a basic plan using a spread sheet - and getting reviews form various area via the interest to make sure we see what is he best / popular sites In the areas.
I take notes (handwritten) and use the data feature on my camera to ensure that I know where the shots are from - I also grab any tourist or other sign to assist - digital pics are soooo cheap

Chris Tayler
taylerchris@gmail.com

My Work
http://youtu.be/IBwkyXLGdUw
http://youtu.be/6qspu0oDp8U
http://youtu.be/7qvuQ4zXxII
http://youtu.be/lZqWQfcn_PQ