Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD deletes Start Menu programs
Marcel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 08, 2007 17:13 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

Since having installed PowerDVD 8 every now and then all my Start Menu programs which are not in a folder simply get deleted (actually the shortcuts, not the programs). Rather annoying! Things like Internet Explorer, Media Player, Media Center, DVD Maker, etc. Then I slowly and painfully get them all together again and copy the shortcuts into the Start Menu folder and then next time I boot up they're all gone again.

I was looking on the web and other users seem to have the same problem. What is the solution to this? Any help appreciated.
SR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2007 05:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This also happened to me when installing V8, luckily I had a Ghost backup to copy all the shortcuts back, other people might not be so lucky. However on reboot my shortcuts are still in place, this only happened to me while installing.
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2008 05:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Yep this happened to me on XP SP2. Very annoying Cyberlink!
sth270355 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2006 11:48 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Happened to me also - on Vista Ultimate. Steve
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

Could you provide these files to support team?

1. C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\Language\Language.exe
2. C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\Language\ Language.ini
3. C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD8\Language\ShortCut.ini
4. Dxdiag.txt
5. PowerDVD8 vesion?

PS:
(DxDiag.txt: You can use the steps that follow to create this file:
1. Start->Run
2. Type in DXDIAG and press Enter or click OK, this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.
3. Click on the Save All Information Button (save this file to your windows desktop and name it dxdiag).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2008 21:40

Marcel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 08, 2007 17:13 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Ok the same thing just happened again. out of the blue all the start menu shortcuts disappeared. didn't even install or reinstall PowerDVD.

I sent all the info requested above, but haven't heard anything back.
Jimmy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2008 23:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem as Marcel.

I tried to install the powerdvd 8 trial on my system , a few times , once
from a clean fresh format and install. Everytime I install (XP SP2 / or SP3) it removes all my shortcuts from the all programs taskbar. I guess this was not tested properly, or most likley there is a scirpt error somewhere and/or possible conflicts. It is very inconvenient and I usually un-install then do a system restore as short-cuts are pre-requiste. The problem lies when you run the installer it deletes all the short cuts in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs for all
programs .....(researching shows its a generic problem of the
installers which has not been corrected for a while). I raised this through a customer support a few times, but it seems the support team were having a problem understanding my English and state "there is no any known issue with this software".

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 09. 2008 07:44

Stock [Avatar]
Member Location: UK Joined: Jul 08, 2006 11:43 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
Exactly same happened to me on installing the trial edition of PDVD8, hallelujah for backups. Occurred in both XP64 Pro and Vista64 Premium, I'll be staying with PDVD7.3Ultra for the time being.
Cherieston [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2008 05:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Has any 1 found any way to get all the shortcuts back... this is really annoying.
Stock [Avatar]
Member Location: UK Joined: Jul 08, 2006 11:43 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
The way I see it is remove PVD8 until its sorted, then either:

1 Restore missing links from a system backup if you have one.
2 System restore point if it goes back that far.
3 The most tedious way manually restore the missing links .

or,

If you need PDVD8 on your system, then one of the above everytime the links go missing or live with it.

Afraid that's the best I can suggest.
Cherieston [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2008 05:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
i did system restore copied all shortcuts on to flash drive and then restore backto normal date and pasted the shortcuts in the directary

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25. 2008 06:57