Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
FYI re Google Chrome
[Post New]
When installing an update CyberLink adds a download for Google Chrome and pre-checks the boxes to install it and make it the default browser.

All fine and dandy. Now, if I want Google Chrome I will get it and install it myself. I don't (let's not debate this now).

Here is the issue. when I uninstalled Chrome I forgot to make IE my default browser first. Subsequently none of the hyperlinks in Word and Excel worked. It took a while to find the solution, namely, re-install Chrome, make it the default browser, then make IE (or another browser) the default and finally remove Chrome. This fixed the hyperlink problem.

You're welcome. Custom computer: 8 processors, 16G Ram, ,C: drive 250G solid state. F: (Scratch drive) 2x 500Gb raid (0). G: (Data drive) 2Tb raid (1)
Power director Ultimate 12.0.2230.0
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Amen and WELL SAID!.

Unfortunately this is becoming quite common.After all they get $$$ for every download.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
As said, this is becoming very common. I always choose custom install and check for stuff like that, when that option is presented. A few weeks ago some POS software I got from a download web site that used to be trustworthy ignored my request and installed a bunch of junk. I am happy to uncheck a box for a browser. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When installing an update CyberLink adds a download for Google Chrome and pre-checks the boxes to install it and make it the default browser.

All fine and dandy. Now, if I want Google Chrome I will get it and install it myself. I don't (let's not debate this now).

Here is the issue. when I uninstalled Chrome I forgot to make IE my default browser first. Subsequently none of the hyperlinks in Word and Excel worked. It took a while to find the solution, namely, re-install Chrome, make it the default browser, then make IE (or another browser) the default and finally remove Chrome. This fixed the hyperlink problem.

You're welcome.

Hi Raputtak,
Are you sure it was PowerDirector's up-date that install that junk? I just ran the patch when I installed it and I may have "automatically" unchecked "junk" options without a great deal of thought.

Always chose as James has written already, "Custom" install and uncheck junk content (for me that includes Chrome, if it comes with a software I actually wanted). No-one should be forced to install junk programs whatever software program you have. I detest junk inclusions and remove every darn one!

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 23. 2013 08:23

[Post New]
Actually, Dafydd, it was some other update where I failed to uncheck the boxes that caused the hyperlink issue. By the time I got to do the PD11 update I had grown older and wiser and remembered to uncheck them. But it was Google Chrome that was the culprit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 22. 2013 11:42

Custom computer: 8 processors, 16G Ram, ,C: drive 250G solid state. F: (Scratch drive) 2x 500Gb raid (0). G: (Data drive) 2Tb raid (1)
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Is Google Chrome evil or something? ~Tom~
[Post New]
Quote: Is Google Chrome evil or something?

No, Tom, it is not evil. Many people assert that it is a very good browser. What I am objecting to is Chrome, or the Asktoolbar, or any other software being thrust upon me if I forget to uncheck two boxes on a download page.

I use IE as a browser as I am trying to not install a lot of software. I have found in the past that many products leave the registry in a mess and thus affect the speed of the computer. (I may breakdown and go back to Firefox)

I use duckduckgo for searches as I am not comfortable with the way Google tailors search results based on what I have searched for in the past. Custom computer: 8 processors, 16G Ram, ,C: drive 250G solid state. F: (Scratch drive) 2x 500Gb raid (0). G: (Data drive) 2Tb raid (1)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Raputtak -

At first I didn't believe you I'd never seen any optional installers included with any CL update before.

BUT - I happened to be setting up a new PC here with a fresh install of DirectorSuite, re-downloaded the 3026 patch & there it was! How tacky. Screenshot attached.

Tom - nothing wrong with Google Chrome except that, in this case, it's completely unsolicited!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Chrome CL installer.PNG]
 Filename
Chrome CL installer.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Aw come on guys- don't you want "extra" stuff slowing down your computer and tracking you?
And it's free of charge ! .... lol

The Asktool bar is one of my biggest peeves! Hate that thing. At least with the Google Chrome it has an opt out that you can de-select. Sometimes Ask just sneaks in for no reason at all. Whatever prgm does that gets nuked immediately.

Btw- I use WaterFox - which is the 64-bit open source variant of Firefox. It plays nicely with all my favourite extensions and is faster all around. Chrome is my backup if a website for some reason has a hard time opening with my locked down Waterfox browser.

R
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be