Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stop button change
Cybersonic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2013 08:49 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
After several attempts with the CyberLink help desk, they are not budging. (Response: it works as intended)
I need the community support for a change.

There is no need for me to go back to the very beginning every time I press stop. I've wasted so much time trying to find the clip I was viewing/editing in a 2 hour+ timeline. Stop should always go back to the location I first started playing the video.

All my other editors (Sony Vegas, FCP, music editors, Corel Video Studio, Ulead Video Studio & etc) work this way. Why can't they change this to make it easier. When I'm mixing music, I need to replay the same section dozens of times.

Note: I do know that when you are editing in clip mode, stop will go back to the beginning of the clip. But, it will not play the continuous to the next clip unless you switch back to movie mode. So this change will eliminate the next to switch to clip mode.

It's so frustrating that I want to uninstall this otherwise nice editor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2013 10:06

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: After several attempts with the CyberLink help desk, they are not budging. (Response: it works as intended)
I need the community support for a change.

There is no need for me to go back to the very beginning every time I press stop. I've wasted so much time trying to find the clip I was viewing/editing in a 2 hour+ timeline. Stop should always go back to the location I first started playing the video.

All my other editors (Sony Vegas, FCP, music editors, Corel Video Studio, Ulead Video Studio & etc) work this way. Why can't they change this to make it easier. When I'm mixing music, I need to replay the same section dozens of times.

Note: I do know that when you are editing in clip mode, stop will go back to the beginning of the clip. But, it will not play the continuous to the next clip unless you switch back to movie mode. So this change will eliminate the next to switch to clip mode.

It's so frustrating that I want to uninstall this otherwise nice editor.

Press pause and the time line slider stops (short cut on keyboard "space bar"), the video stops.
To play the video one can use the keyboard controls - "space bar" and the video will play, to pause, repeat the keyboard control. This applies in Clip and Movie modes. You can also switch between Clip and Movie mode while using the keyboard control and the cursor - at no time did the video go back to the beginning of a clip/movie when I used the "space bar" and the cursor to control the Clip/Movie mode.

If you press the stop option in Preview (Ctrl+/) the video returns to the beginning.

Does that help?

Dafydd

Edit Added a bit more.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 19. 2013 10:19

Cybersonic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry that doesn't help. Pause does not bring you back to the location you were previously viewing.

Sorry for my ignorance but you guys are so use to doing it the CyberLink way that it doesn't bother you.

Example: I have zoomed into the timeline editing .5 second photos flashes or fine tuning music mixing. Want to play over the section that I'm working on. Because I'm a perfectionist, I'm zoomed a lot. Playing a few seconds turns the page and does not fit on 1 screen. I would need to PAUSE then SCROLL timeline back, locate the beginning of were I was working, approximate and click the location of the beginning (because they are .2 to .5 seconds), then finally press play. Now try doing that a dozen times when it only takes 1 STOP button to perform all those tasks.

Cybersonic [Avatar]
[Post New]
How many times do you really need to start back from the very beginning after you start editing?

Once I'm finished editing the beginning of the video, I never need to go back to the beginning. I keep working and moving along the timeline.

As far as the stop button goes, its useless and I'd rather have that button removed. So I don't accidentally press it.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

This is one of our pet peeves about PD that needs to be fixed: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28758.page

1.) Have you tried setting the Seek by options to fine tune what they do?
See pic below.

2.) Also adding Timeline Markers can help out in multiple situations see here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29164.page

Rob
[Thumb - Seek by Options.png]
 Filename
Seek by Options.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1201 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 19. 2013 11:43

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cybersonic -

I can see how, in your situation of editing/timing large numbers of short duration images, that switching to "Clip" mode wouldn't help. That's designed for editing video (methinks).

Rob's suggestion of adding timeline markers (which can be named) is the simplest way to give yourself a reference point.

Using the "Seek" idea, if you were working at (say) 00;00;02;14, just type that in the Time Code box & hit Enter. The cursor/timeline slider will snap to that point.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cybersonic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow people been asking for this change since version 3! Unbelievable!

ROBAC Thanks for the link.

Yes, I use the Seek to precisely move from 1 frame to the next using reconfigured arrow hot keys.

I wish it would let you make a mark and use a key to go directly to that mark or next mark (like seek). Unfortunately they do not move with the timeline if you delete anything. (that needs fixing also)

Is there a way to use markers to jump back so I can play from the same point over and over? That way I can mark where I was working and not have to zoom all the way out and find the place where the marker is located.

YNOTFISH Thanks for the tip on typing in the time to go to an approximation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2013 14:56

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Once you have your timeline markers set, you can right click on the timeline ruler (top) and choose "View All Timeline Markers". Select the one you want - click OK - and you're there!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Marker_Show.png]
 Filename
Marker_Show.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1174 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2013 15:06

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
This might be a slightly cumbersome, but pragmatic, workaround.

Import a blank or outline only .png with a transparent background to act as a marker.

Place in a timeline below the last needed or maybe in Track 1?? depending on choice and/or workflow? and extend to the end of longest track??

Uncheck playback in auto movie mode in preferences, allowing clip only playback,

Keep dragging the "marker" .png to the start point of your desired editing play back, and play it - not the clip being edited.

The timeline plays from your "start point" and when you hit stop it returns to the start of the marker clip which equals your start point.

Not ideal but better than nothing??

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cybersonic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks!!!

This helps a lot!

This didn't bother my as much before until my projects started getting longer and more intricate. Someday they will fix the stop button, until then, we need to put in the extra effort with multi-clicking workarounds.

I'll still open tickets on this issue.
Cybersonic [Avatar]
[Post New]
After playing around with the markers more, I've found that Shift+Left Arrow or Shift+Right Arrow moves you quickly from 1 marker to the next.

If I only have 1 marker, I can use that as my current editing point and slide it over as I work my way down the timeline.

I have right and left arrow already reassigned to prev or next (frame, second, minute, etc) seek. So this make it easier to jump markers since I only need to press shift.

I've reassigned shift to control for more ergonomic 1 handed navigation.

Now I'm happy!
ynotfish
[Post New]

bherd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2014 08:55 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I too find the function of the Stop button aggravating also; its like hitting the brakes in your car and it drives itself home and puts itself in the garage (and closes the garage door).

When working on a transition or fixing something I want to keep starting at the event until I have accomplished the editing I want, and then move on to the next timeline event. It is really aggravating when I get the cursor exactly lined up with a frame and then bump the stop button and have to start over.

I have yet to use the loop markers, where in Vegas they are always in your way, I haven't seen an intuitive use of the marked region for the kind of editing I mentioned.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Has nobody in this forum heard of Pause?

If you do not want your cursor to jump back to the beginning, click the Play button in the player or press the space bar on the Keyboard. Click Play, pauses the video if already playing, click Play will start from the pause position. (Play is a Toggle). Play, Pause Play, Pause and so on.

In Clip Mode, Stop jumps to the beginning of the clip.
In Movie Mode, Stop jumps to the beginning of the Movie (timeline).

The Marker is good for marking a spot in the video.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Cybersonic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Has nobody in this forum heard of Pause?

If you do not want your cursor to jump back to the beginning, click the Play button in the player or press the space bar on the Keyboard. Click Play, pauses the video if already playing, click Play will start from the pause position. (Play is a Toggle). Play, Pause Play, Pause and so on.

In Clip Mode, Stop jumps to the beginning of the clip.
In Movie Mode, Stop jumps to the beginning of the Movie (timeline).

The Marker is good for marking a spot in the video.

No, I don't think we have heard of the Pause. What does that do again?

Neither the Pause or Play takes you back to your editing location. Obviously you have not worked in super zoom mode looking into every millisecond for high detailed editing. STOP should always take you back to your starting location, so you can easily replay your current editing position over and over again. This saves a ton of time.

Try zooming into the milliseconds, play 10 second and you already 25 pages away from where you started. Now being zoomed in that closely, see how easy it is to replay the location you started again and again. A little slip of the mouse will moves you hundreds of pages away. Now if you mistakenly click stop from movie or clip mode (forgettaboutit), you need to zoom all the way out, find the estimated location, zoom back in and find your starting point again.

When you decide to do more professional detailed editing with long timelines, let me know how that pause and scroll back option is working for you.
Cybersonic [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't know anyone who is editing a video needs the stop button to take you back to the beginning, unless you are finished and want to view the entire 2 hour video.

If you need to go back to the beginning then you are viewing the final project and no longer editing.