Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transition Glitch/Behaviour
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
It's never occurred to me before, because I'm usually inserting transitions between different clips, but I'm working on a project where I need to fade (transition) from one clip to a modified version of the same clip.

At first I though this glitch was a result of producing different versions of the same clip... but NO! I've replicated the problem using exactly the same (unmodified) clip.

If you feel at all enthused, try it and see what happens. The steps are as follow:

In steps 2 & 3 above, the timeline plays correctly & the produced file is right. When transitions are inserted, there's a sloppy overlap between the clips, whether cross or overlap transitions are used.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't figure out why that would happen.

Cheers - Tony

[Thumb - Transition Glitch.png]
 Filename
Transition Glitch.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
282 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1074 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 07. 2013 23:05

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

How long is your clip?

I tried an unmodified 5 sec. and an 8 sec repeating clip of my own and could not replicate this.
I used the standard fade and also tried blur fade transition. I even did the modified cross as you show in pic #4 and removed the blue audio transition.

(For those following along you just modify your transition to cross and then select the lower blue audio transition, then right click remove. This leaves the upper video fade still intact and removes the lower blue fade transition. This only works for cross not overlap transitions though.)

Can you attach a produced vid. showing what you mean by "glitch" or better yet the raw clip for us to play with?

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob -

Thanks for taking an interest. I appreciate that.

The clips I'm using are about 15 seconds, but it doesn't make any difference. Obviously, I can get around this "glitch" by not splitting the clips and using the opacity keyframes to fade from one clip into another... but (to my way of thinking) this way should work too.

I figured the easiest way to explain it was with a screen capture - http://youtu.be/fBByeFlEYXA

This is what I get during the transitions...

The clip used here is a panorama of buildings - very obvious - but the glitch even occurs where there's no pan or zoom with a static tripod shot.

You can download the clip here http://www.mediafire.com/?0l9cs48s391il3n

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Trans Glitch.png]
 Filename
Trans Glitch.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
409 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1054 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2013 13:42

wh7262
Member Location: Carrollton, TX Joined: Apr 25, 2011 10:07 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

I downloaded your file and tried your file on the following programs with the same results:
CyberLink PowerDirector 10
Corel VideoStudio Pro X4
Corel VideoStudio Pro X5
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9
and yes even on my MAC using iMove6 and Final Cut Express 4 (can't afford the Apple Final Cut Studio 3 - about $1400.00 US dollars. ). BTW: Can you help in getting about a $1300.00 discount????
All programs had the same effect.

Yes there is always going to be a sloppy overlap between the clips, when using the Fade or Cross transitions are used.

Now one can edit whether or not they want to use the Overlap or Cross Transition Behavior effect.
Here is how:

I first placed the Pano.m2ts file into Timeline
Then selected the “Fade Transition”.
Placed the transition onto the clip.
Then right click on the transition and select "Modify Transition Behavior”, Ooops wait, wait and wait, found out before one can click on the "Modify Transition Behavior” selection., the placement of the transition is very critical or you cannot modify the transition. The transition first has to be placed on top of the two adjoining clips (at the end of one and the beginning of the next clip) in order to modify the transition. If the transition is placed onto just one clip, the transition has no Blue Audio area in it. Also this transition can not by right clicking select the "Modify Transition Behavior” option, for it is now grayed out.

If one places the Fade Transition to where it is between the two clips, then the Blue Audio is shown and one can now right on the transition and select and the "Modify Transition Behavior” option.
Now right click on the transition in the timeline and select "Modify Transition Behavior” and select either Overlap or Cross Transition Behavior option to use.
If the Overlap Transition Behavior is used as shown in the “Overlap Option.png” file, the transition just stays at the end of that clip and has a slight blurry transition to the next clip.

Now if the “Cross” option had been selected, it moves the Fade Transitions to where it is exactly between the two clips. This produces a double blurry effect appears, one at the end of first clip applied to and the beginning of the next clip. However, only one frame at the beginning of the next clip is clear, with no blurry effect, but who just sees one frame while viewing the video?

Now click on the Blue Audio area and Right click, then select Remove. This has no effect on the transition for the video part.

Let’s move on over to selecting the “Cross” transition and use it to see what effects occur. The same steps above were applied to it as with the “Fade” transition. The “Cross” transition has a Zoom In-Out and a dark contrast between the two clips.

The PD-10 manual states: “After you drag a transition between two media clips, the transition is set as an overlap transition by default. The transition icon moves to the end of the first media clip. When you modify the transition behavior to a cross transition, the transition shows up between the two media clips. You can tell which type of transition you are using by judging where your transition is located.”

I tried your file on the following programs with the same results:
CyberLink PowerDirector 10
Corel VideoStudio Pro X4
Corel VideoStudio Pro X5
Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9
and yes even on my MAC using iMove6 and Final Cut Express 4 (can't afford the Apple Final Cut Studio 3 - about $1400.00 US dollars. ). Can you help in getting about a $1300.00 discount????
All had the same effect.

And yes it will be blurry whenever a fade or cross transitions is applied, whether it be an Overlap or Cross Transition Behavior. This is due to the fact that the transition merges the two media clips, by overlapping them at the same time.

Personally, I enjoyed the panorama view.

Hope I did not cloud up the water even more than it already is, but this is the best I can do for you.

Bill in Texas - it's hot here.
[Thumb - Overlap Option.png]
 Filename
Overlap Option.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
524 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
161 time(s)
Thanks,
Bill in Texas

PD-12, PD-14 and PD15 is installed on this iMAC computer under BootCamp, and PD's are running great:
DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
System Model: iMac11,2
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4022MB RAM
Page File: 2031MB used, 6010MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

PD-12 PowerDirector Ultra: 12.0.3403.0

PD-14 PowerDirector Ultra: 14.0.1728.0
SR numbers: VDE14

PD-15 Power Director Ultra
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

I forgot to ask - what timing are you using on your transition?
I have mine set to 0.5 seconds (00:30) and I do see the ghosting.
Even faster 0.2 seconds (00:12) there is ghosting but at a quicker rate.

But aren't we are over thinking things here ? Transitions and fades in and of themselves are designed to give a ghosting look between clips. When we use normal none repeating clips we see this- but the brain associates this with scene changes. (Which is a deliberate thing for effect. Otherwise just use clips chained together without any transitions between them for faster switching and scene change.)

Hopefully I explained that right- and hopefully I am actually understanding what you are driving at.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It's never occurred to me before, because I'm usually inserting transitions between different clips, but I'm working on a project where I need to fade (transition) from one clip to a modified version of the same clip.

At first I though this glitch was a result of producing different versions of the same clip... but NO! I've replicated the problem using exactly the same (unmodified) clip.

Tony, I think this is just the nature of the beast. Please see the attached snippet of your clip, with one split and a three-second diss which more clearly demonstrates how PD is handling the cross.
 Filename
trans.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2248 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
312 time(s)
[Post New]
Hi Tony.
For me the transition Fade always worked this way at all, okay for still images, moving images happens to what you showed.
I used for these cases (moving image) using the transition Grid Sliding, other than the effect of this.
Always use overlap video with audio works fine. crofade and ruin the audio for this video. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
[Post New]
Bill, Rob, borgus & playsound -

Thank you for giving this some consideration. I kind of half accept what's being suggested, along the lines of "well - that's just how it is so we learn to live with it."

OK - maybe it's not a glitch. Maybe it's just how the transition works. I just don't think much of it. Clearly, it's more obvious in a fade transition where the next frames are "dissolving" rather than being planted on top of the previous ones (like a slide transition).

Anyway, without properly understanding what's happening in the transition, I just think it's primitive. It's like previous frames are played again after the frames that have replaced them. Hence the ghosting.

Playsound - yes - it is more obvious on a pan shot, but I get the same thing with a static tripod shot.
Bill - thanks for the time you took investigating. I suppose it feels better knowing we're not alone!
borgus - thanks for testing & sharing your thinking. Good to know it's not just me.
Rob - I was deliberately using slow (2 seconds) transitions for the project because I wanted one clip for fade seamlessly (ha!) into the next. i.e. not a sudden switch. Typically, I use none or very short ones. Maybe that's why it hadn't occurred to me before.

In the meantime, I've processed the whole batch of clips using the rubber band method. Much smoother.

I suppose I'd better get out the sandbox & the blower and try to make a transition that doesn't give me ghosts.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2013 23:03

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Anyway, without properly understanding what's happening in the transition, I just think it's primitive. It's like previous frames are played again after the frames that have replaced them. Hence the ghosting.

My sense is...
As the FROM clip begins its fade out the TO clip is frozen until the halfway point of the dissolve.
Then the FROM clip freezes and the TO clip rolls until the diss is complete.
This wouldn't be objectionable when using disparate clips and short transitions.

An A/B roll overlap is bound to be smoother. In lieu of the sandbox, that's likely your rubber band. ^_^