Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Very blurred snap shots or freeze frames in finished video
LoisPallister
Newbie Location: London Joined: Aug 11, 2012 13:58 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have been trying to find a solution to this since March. No matter what I do every time I take a snapshot so that I can linger on one aspect in the tutorial video I am trying to create it comes out so blurred that it is useless. The rest of the video is sharp but the snapshot is totally blurred.

Anyone any ideas please?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lois -

Do you possibly have shadow files enabled in Preferences?

This was the cause of poor quality snapshots here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28400.page

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have been trying to find a solution to this since March. No matter what I do every time I take a snapshot so that I can linger on one aspect in the tutorial video I am trying to create it comes out so blurred that it is useless. The rest of the video is sharp but the snapshot is totally blurred.

Anyone any ideas please?

Hi lois,

Can you comfirn for me that you are seeing this blurriness during editing? Or do you see this blurriness after you produce and watch your final produced video?

If you answer yes to either of these questions....

1. Do you know what your "preview resolution is set to?" Full HD, High, normal?

2. What file type did you produce to and what profile did you select? Do you need help answering this question?

3. What was the original resolution of the video clips you were using? 1920x1080? Something else?

4. And when you linger on an aspect, have you zoomed in on the video clip or picture?

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 18:22

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
LoisPallister
[Post New]
Thank you so much for the replies

I think I finally found an answer.
The frame rates of the original file and the output were different.

I am completely new to this and am assuming that I should be exporting as PAL25
The program I used to get the footage of me using the program was set to 30 fps I have changed it to 25 and re-recorded the actions and now the stills seem to be fine.

As this has solved my problem I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any other solution that will not mean re-recording the other 8 files I have for this project which were originally done at 30fps?

Tony - I have read before about turning off shadow files - I must be blind because I couldn't find the option in Preferences

Kevin
I see the blurriness during editing, not only for the stills but also for the whole clip as I run it through. But after exporting as MPEG4 the video is sharp and it was only the stills that were blurry. However, now that I am using a source file with a frame rate of 25 the stills are ok.

1. Do you know what your "preview resolution is set to?" Full HD, High, normal?
I just checked with the 25fps clips and the preview is a nightmare at high resolution, not much better at HD but fine at Full HD so that is how I have left it.

2. What file type did you produce to and what profile did you select?
I don't think I need help, to answer this but maybe as I am new. I think the answer is MPEG-4 - Default.

3. What was the original resolution of the video clips you were using? 1920x1080? Something else?
It was 1920x1080 but now that I have realised I can get away with it the new clips that I created at 25fps are full screen, which in my case is 1920x1200.

4. And when you linger on an aspect, have you zoomed in on the video clip or picture?
No. No zooming just a freeze of the full frame.

Any further advice would be gratefully received but if I have to re-record all the actions for my tutorial video I will. Just really glad I can get on with creating the videos I want to create now.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Lois,

Just curious- what program are you using to record ?

Have you tried a conversion program to convert the 30fps files to 25fps?
(there should be free programs on the web. I use one called Freemake, but not sure if it will do PAL video.)

Here is the link for reference: http://www.freemake.com/

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have read before about turning off shadow files - I must be blind because I couldn't find the option in Preferences

[Thumb - 2.jpg]
 Filename
2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
342 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 10:44

LoisPallister
[Post New]
Duh! It was in brackets!
It was switched on.
I have now turned it off.
Seeing as I have solved my problem with the initial video I guess I don't need to go find them and delete them
I'll try again to see if it makes any difference
Thanks for that

RobaC
I used Replay Video Capture 6 to record what I was doing in Gimp for a tutorial video.

I haven't tried to convert the files in the way that you suggest but I did try to export the whole clip with PowerDirector and then tried to use that and the same thing happened!

Have to admit that did baffle me a little once I realised that changing the setting in Replay to 25fps did seem to work.