Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview video wont play? (Solved)
joebiv318 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: NEPA Joined: Jun 30, 2013 21:47 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I'm just starting to play around with PD11 and am having this issue. I imported a video that I took and when I try to play it in the preview window (upper right screen) it says rendering 0-100%, plays for about 1-2 seconds, then repeats.
I tried changing the preview quality, real time preview and also NTSC from 60frs to NTSC 30fps, still get same issue. The video clip is MP4 60fps.
I listed the computer specs in my signature. I hope this is not normal and I'm just not doing something right. Thanks for any help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 12:25

ASUS windows 8 64b, Ci7 3.40G, 1TB, 4Gx2
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Not enough info. What did you use to take the video, what was it set at, will it play in your OS media player...... ect.... ect....

Please see info at bottom of my signature... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok I recorded video with a Canon HF r400 set at MP4 35Mbps-hope that's what your asking?
It plays fine in what ever windows based player is on this computer, not sure what it is?
Also if I play the clip from the Media room, it plays fine in the preview window. When I place the video on the time line track it only plays for a second at a time.
Maybe I'm not doing something right? The time line is where you would "edit" the video right? ASUS windows 8 64b, Ci7 3.40G, 1TB, 4Gx2
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
First blush it sounds like your computer is struggling with it in the timeline.... How long is it? When in the timeline PD renders your clips on the fly for the preview... Some computers choke on it some....

Yes the timeline is your edit window.... Your video drivers up to date? A DXDIAG would tell you (and us) whats going on.... how much drive space you have? You need a LOT..... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok I hope I did that DxDiag right?
This computer better work for editing videos! I just bought it and I told the guy at Best Buy that would be my #1 priority for it! I brought in the specs for running PD11 and he assured me that this would be more that plenty.
 Filename
chrisDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
451 time(s)
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
In the preview have you got preview 'CLIP' selected or the "MOVIE' selected? If you have the 'Clip" selected you only preview the selected 'clip" (the one you have highlighted on track one, if you have "movie" selected it plays whole of track one.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2013 00:24

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried it both ways and no difference. Also the recording is 3.5 minutes long. ASUS windows 8 64b, Ci7 3.40G, 1TB, 4Gx2
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi joebiv318 ,
I think we need a couple more bits of data from you please.
1. A sample mp4. Point and record 5 seconds with your camera and then place the file from your camera onto your hard drive for uploading as an attachment to your reply. Members here can then look at and try out your file.
2. A screenshot of the Edit Workspace with your project insitu. Full screen and to a jpeg or png format. See guide Part E & F. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

I'm interested in looking at the file and your screenshot. I take it, you're able to add the sample media to the tracks and edit them, yes,no?

Dafydd
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
JoeBiv318:

I had a look at your dxdiag file. Your NVidia graphics driver is a year old. You should go to the NVidia website and download and install the newest, non-beta, driver for your graphics card. Do not rely on Window Update for that. Also ensure that you have the latest QuickTime installed. Other than that, your computer configuration looks good for PD11. A lot of folks have resolved a lot of strange issues simply by downloading and installing the latest video drivers.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok I went to the NVidia website and did an update and nothing changed. Also when I was installing PD11 It installed quicktime at that time so unless they had an update in the last 3 days I should be good. I made a very quick video with my phone on what its doing. You can see it plays fine from the Media room but at the 30 sec. mark it starts to "start/stop" and that's what i'm having a problem with. Tried a video from one of my gopros and same thing. Also could this be an issue of not having a graphics card? The guy at Best Buy assured me I would be fine if I wasn't a gamer...
Thank you guys for your help, I'm sure that we can get this figured out!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Joe:

According to your dxdiag file, you have a NVidia GeForce GT 620 video card installed in your computer with 2 GB of dedicated video RAM. More than enough video RAM to keep PD11 happy.

I watched your video. When you drag the clip to the timeline, you get a warning message. I can't read it. What is PD11 telling you? There might be a clue there ...

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 02. 2013 14:05

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Its a TV formant warning. Clip is 30fps vs. 60fps in setup. If I change it in setup to match I still have the problem, just don't get the warning.

So there is a difference between a "video" card and a "graphics" card right? The next level up computer had a graphics card and maybe some more memory but it was more than $200 more and I was told I wouldn't need. ASUS windows 8 64b, Ci7 3.40G, 1TB, 4Gx2
joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I think that I was able to do everything that you guys asked for to help trouble shoot this problem. (Other than a sample video clip because it does it with the sample videos on the program) So what do you suggest?
I guess its one of two things, the computer or the program? What would you suggest would be my next step? I really want to get this working so I can get learning how to use this editor! Thanks. ASUS windows 8 64b, Ci7 3.40G, 1TB, 4Gx2
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm just starting to play around with PD11 and am having this issue. I imported a video that I took and when I try to play it in the preview window (upper right screen) it says rendering 0-100%, plays for about 1-2 seconds, then repeats.
I tried changing the preview quality, real time preview and also NTSC from 60frs to NTSC 30fps, still get same issue. The video clip is MP4 60fps.
I listed the computer specs in my signature. I hope this is not normal and I'm just not doing something right. Thanks for any help!

I looked at your Youtube video example and from what I can see you have the "Enable HD Video Processing (Shadow file)" which is found in PowerDirector's preference settings under the General tab, is "enabled".

This might be causing your problem and it might not. But with your PC I personally don't think you need to have it enabled. So when you import your HD footage from your GoPro camera, with this setting enabled, your PC is now very busy generating the lower resolution shadow files that will be accessed when you bring your "Media Room" clips onto the timeline. This is indicated by the shadow edit icon located on the sample clip in the Media Room in your example. See the little film clip icon on the thumbnail? (see my attachment). The icon on each clip in the Media Room will be Yellow in color while the shadow file is being generated and then turn to green when the process is complete.

I would first start off by turning off this option and then see if this makes a positive difference in the pausing in the Preview Screen.

[Thumb - Shadow Files are on.PNG]
 Filename
Shadow Files are on.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
681 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
481 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 09:43

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
The "Other Problem" you have going on is, as you mentioned

it says rendering 0-100%, plays for about 1-2 seconds, then repeats.

is that PowerDirector is "pre rendering" the sample file, which it shouldn't be doing, unless of course you had intentionally highlighted this portion of the clip and selected the "Render Preview" button. Did you do this? Or did it happen all on its own?. This is indicated by the GREEN line located above the clip on the timeline. (see attachment). Since it instantly is visible when you place the tram sample clip on the timeline also indicates that this pre rendered portion is now in the temp file area. This file can be deleted by opening up your preferences and under the GENERAL tab select the "Manual Delete" button. I would then choose the "Select All" and then select the "Delete Files" button.

Please Note: That you should start a NEW project before deleting these temp files. You wont be able to delete the temporary files that are involved with an open project. But in your case you might have to "remove" the Tram sample clip from the Media Room first, then it will allow you to delete that associated temp file.

This indicates to me that you might be using an older build of PowerDirector 11. There was a problem with this rendering while editing and was corrected with a patch. If you open PowerDirector and click on the words "PowerDirector" in the upper right hand corner it will display a popup window showing the version build you are using. Mine says Power Director Ultimate 11.0.0.2812, with the 2812 being the build number.

What does yours say?

[Thumb - Shadow Files are on.PNG]
 Filename
Shadow Files are on.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
683 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
599 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 10:04

joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok my Version is Power Director Ultimate 11.0.0.2027
Maybe I need a patch?
I only get that green rendering bar if I match the fps. So if I match the fps in settings I don't get that warning box but when I try to play the clip I get that green rendering 0-100% bar. I don't think I selected "render preview"?

So maybe I should try that patch first and if that doesn't work I will go and follow your steps above? Please advise, thanks! ASUS windows 8 64b, Ci7 3.40G, 1TB, 4Gx2
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
BINGO!

You are using a build that is before the patch that corrected the rendering problem. Build 2215 corrected this problem.

Here is a link to the patches. Just download the latest 2812 patch, which has all the previous fixes from earlier builds, and then install it.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

Now start over and see what the performance with your footage is like in the preview window.

Crossing my fingers that this will fix your problem!!

Kevin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 11:10

joebiv318 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That patch fixed it! Thanks you guys so much, I knew it would come down to something like this. Now as soon as I get some time I'm going to start working with this and figuring out how to use it! Thanks again so much! ASUS windows 8 64b, Ci7 3.40G, 1TB, 4Gx2
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: That patch fixed it! Thanks you guys so much, I knew it would come down to something like this. Now as soon as I get some time I'm going to start working with this and figuring out how to use it! Thanks again so much!

Well that is certainly EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!

Thanks so much for providing excellent information to help in tracking down the cause of the problem. Your YouTube video was a great way to see what the problem was.

Happy Editing!

Kevin