Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best Version of PD11?
Wid0wmaker123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 26, 2013 20:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am a newbie, so I figure most would say to get the deluxe edition. But I don't want to be cheap if I can spend $25 more, get a better version, and have a much better experience? What would you recommend?

Also I plan to upgrade my computer soon. If I bought today, could I install on this computer and then reinstall it once I build my new computer?Thanks in advance for your help!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there -

Hre's a version comparison - http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/comparison_en_AU.html?&r=1

Ultimate & Ultra are effectively the same basic software, but the Ultimate version has some extra effects & packs. Apart from that, you can import, edit, produce & burn in the same way. The ultra version (see the table) has diminished features, but might suit your requirements.

The answer to your other question about installation is YES. Just uninstall from your current computer first.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Wid0wmaker123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 26, 2013 20:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks! So I shouldn't even bother with the lowest costing "deluxe" version and just choose between ultra and ultimate?

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I would go for the Ultimate Suite..you get colordirector, PhotoDirector and audioDirector in the suite not just the PowerDirector Ultimate program.
You may not need them now but later you may...and it cost you more buying separate.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2013 22:33

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
PowerDirector is a complete video editing solution, but Ultimate Suite which has AudioDirector and ColorDirector is very handy.

If you also need photo editing solution, you should buy Director Suite to get PhotoDirector. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Wid0wmaker123,
You will need to address your computer spec as well, re: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/28911.page#158168
To have a great video editing experience a 64bit system with sufficient power, is a must have.
Dafydd
Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
This is my opinion for someone starting out:

Between Deluxe and Ultra, choose Ultra if you have a 64-bit machine for the 64-bit support.

Between Ultimate and Ultra, choose Ultra. The motion, paint, and art effects and creative content packs (like "Romance") in Ultimate are things that extend the feature list and sound exciting but are not things you may not use that often, if at all. They also take up a lot of space.

Between Ultimate Suite and Ultra, choose Ultra. Both Color Director and AudioDirector add minimal new functionality and some additional complexity.

You'll have a much better experience if you purchase Ultra and learn how to edit, which does take a bit of time to learn. Other enhancements can come later.

Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Ultra is the version I use, it fills my needs totally. Bought the boxed version from B+H Photo, it includes a 250 page manual, the download version does not. Very reasonably priced at B+H.

Having used computer editing for over 10 years I can say that PD is the best compromise of price,features, complexity and performance.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
[quote]Between Ultimate Suite and Ultra, choose Ultra. Both Color Director and AudioDirector add minimal new functionality and some additional complexity.[/quote]

Hi Rob -

Perhaps you meant to add: [b]"for me"[/b]. Though the features of ColorDirector & AudioDirector may be superfluous to your requirements (or the OP's), it cannot really be sensibly argued that they add [b][u]minimal new functionality[/u][/b].

Of course, I understand you were expressing an opinion, but it appears to be based on not much information.

The forum already has plenty of that!

Cheers - Tony

Beats me why the formatting marks are appearing like that. :shock:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 04. 2013 15:34

Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
The original poster asked "what do you recommend?" and I preferenced my brief remarks with "This is my opinion for someone starting out" to provide notice that this is a recommendation for a specific situation, and not a review, which would require providing a lot more information. Brevity has its hazards because it does not include all the ifs, ands, or buts to cover contingencies for all situations and all users. I thought it was clear that what I provided was one user's evaluation of the usefullness of a product to a situation. And that includes that statement that AudioDirector and ColorDirector provide minimal new functionality, despite the length of the Cyberlink marketing list. I stand by my statements. Tony, I can assure you my opinions are based upon my use of the product, and certainly not fairy dust.

RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Wid0wmaker123,

Everyone will have their personal criteria and levels of usage. In addition to a computer system that is capable of running a video editing system, you have to define what it is you are looking to do with the chosen editing software.

Are you going to be a casual user who edits the occasional family / event video or are you going to want a more robust feature rich suite that you can grow with and use for more advanced editing output later on? Price to features performance is another factor- depending on your budget of course.

This can be hard thing substantiate- in the end you will have to take a good look at your needs and cost of the features you are willing to afford. (The good thing is all the PD versions are affordable compared to similar products in the given price ranges.)

The trial versions are the best way to get a feel for the products. (Just be aware some of the features in the trial version might not work as well as the full version- the trial is just to give you a feel for the features.)

Oh and yes if you bought today you can uninstall and then reinstall to your new computer.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be