Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quick Question: On Board Video Processing in an Intel Haswell 4770K Suitable for PD11?
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Gents,

Just a quick question as I'm building a new Rig and want it to be able to handle PD11 when making Blu Ray Movies from my Sony HD Camera, without any issues.

So far it's an Intel Haswell 4770K CPU; Asus Z87-A Motherboard, 16 Gigs of Corsair Vendgance Blue DDR3 1600 Ram, a Plextor 128GB SSD M5 Pro Xtreme 2.5 SATA3 6GB/S, Seagate 1 TB Barracuda 7200 RPM, 64 MB SATA3 6GB/S Hard Drive (for Data), a Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

Will the on board Intel 4600 Graphics be able to handle it? Or should I install a Gigabyte nVidia GTX-560? (I'm going to run Win 7 => as so far Win 8 seems painful without a touch sceen.)

Thanks for the info. Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
John-hpxref2 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: West Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2012 17:16 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jim had similar questions as you when I got my i3770K 16GB Gskill 2400 ram in an ASUS P8Z77 etc . In the end I got a RADEON HD7750 gpu which I had a deal of trouble getting PD11 to work with it...eventually got it going with no PD11 errors
BUT a comparison Produce speed test soon saw me removing it and relying on my 4000 internal GPU again which produced a 3.8GB file in less than 2 minutes compared to 20 min using the 7750! (Std DVD with Intel QuickSync) Yr requirements are for HDBR , not like mine but as far as I can make out , when the ASUS Bios is set to AUTO for the inbuilt GPU, it uses system RAM
and with 16GB total, it MAY be that yr 4600 might be faster than a separate card! (and yr 4600 might be better than my 4000 as well)
Just a thought. If you are able I would borrow a GTX650 card and do a compare between the two before you buy, or perhaps a suitably equipped group member could do so?
I was surprised that the 7750 2GB ram , which should be accessed simultaneously with system Ram when outputting its internally stored video, wasn't as good as sharing the 4000GPU with system RAM under PD11, but there you are.
I am very happy with my i4000 graphics performance for std DVD production and now wish I hadn't bought an expensive boat anchor
John
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John,

Thanks for the info. My son is a Gamer, and I built him a Gamer box a while ago (December 2011). The Gigabyte nVidia GTX-560 was in it originally and is now "surplus" as we got him a GTX-660 replacement last Christmas.

I had read somewhere that a separate video card may not be the right answer for video rendering and these new Intel Chips. Hence the Question.

Maybe I should just test it, but I thought one of the Folks here would have all that well behind them. Regards,

Jim

Intel i7 4770K CPU
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I run Pd11 Ultimate suite on my system which has the Geforce 560ti (gamer card) with not problems for anything I throw at it. My system is i7 2600@3.4Gh and 12 Gb on board memory, and a 1.5Terabyte hard drive as c: drive. If you have a small SSD drive you may have issues as PD uses C: drive for temp files while processing videos, and this may be a hindrance.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
-Jim-
[Post New]
Thanks for the tip James. I think I remember that the location for the temp files was configurable. (At least last I checked :roll. Maybe the Admin will chime in and confirm one way or the other.

If the small SSD is an issue, I could put PD11 onto it's own dedicated drive along with Win 7 and only the software needed to make the BluRay Disks => I did this before to avoid conflicts and speed up rendering. It worked well. I have lots of SATA 2 HDs but only the 2 SATA 3 so far.

But I did want to see if I could make it all work. I don't game anymore, and so a 128 Gig C Drive is plenty. My current image is only 55 gigs on a 100 Gig Partition. Regards,

Jim

Intel i7 4770K CPU
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi -Jim-,
The problem with the SSD is to do with using a small drive without a lot of surplus spare capacity. I opted for an SSD in one computer (a good sized SSD) and have noticed how much slower the HDD SATA drives are.

For members:
SSD = Solid State Drives, faster and getting "cheaper"
HDD = Hard Disk Drives, good reliable tech and quick enough for High Def video editing.

Dafydd