Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
possibly the WORST software I have ever used...
Ogert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 21, 2013 21:36 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Recently purchased PDVD 12 std. Just today decided to finally install it into my HTPC.

1st complaint, I was misled into thinking BD support was included in all editions. Shame on me.

Now for the plethora of issues. Win8 HTPC with WMC, MyMovies database, TMT3 for HD-DVD support and BD.
I wanted PDVD to take over the DVD and BD playback. PDVD plays physical discs and VideoTS folders as a stand-alone player, but within Media Center NOTHING works.

If I select a movie file from MyMovies, PDVD launches but the movie wont play. It just sits there with it's barrage of useless bloat. If I click <PLAY> it tells me to insert a disc.
If I click on the source option, navigate to the movie folder, and select the file, then it plays. Useless.

If I insert a DVD, PDVD "cinema mode" launches... and waits for me to select "resume" or "restart". Acceptable if I had ever played the disc before, but whatever... it's not a deal-breaker.

If I insert a HD-DVD, PDVD "cinema mode" launches... despite that PDVD doesn't support HD-DVD. I have not found any way to return HD-DVD default back to TMT3. (there is no option in AutoPlay for HD-DVD. I assume I will need to re-install TMT to let it reclaim default playback)

If I insert a BluRay, PDVD "cinema mode" launches... despite that this edition DOES NOT support BD. Win8 does have a BD option under AutoPlay settings, but whether I choose "take no action" or "play with TMT3" it has no affect on the WMC playback.

I spent the better part of the day trying to fix PDVD12, searching Google and countless forums for answers.
The only answer I found was "UNINSTALL".
Sad because had the software actually worked, I was already planning to upgrade for BD compatibility.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 21. 2013 22:16

jimmyjhd [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 27, 2013 12:52 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry you have to go through this but there should be a good explanation to all of these. I wish you good luck in everything.
goldenm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2012 15:04 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Most of those issues are there because you dont know how to fix the mess on your own computer, the mess is caused by yourself. Powerdvd12 is great if you pay some attention how you set it up and how you overall use your pc. If hou are lazy enough to not read what version you are buying and then select the cheapiest one, that doesnt support the features you require, it is your own personal fault 100%.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ogert,
not sure where you bought PowerDVD 12 - we launched PowerDVD 13 with much improved CinemeMode (e.g. library support, file playback, etc.) in April 2013 already.

Only the ULTRA or PRO editions support BD playback

Please check the Version Comparison for more details:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/compare-versions_en_GB.html

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Archon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2013 18:27 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I agree. I have battled with this turgid product accross two operating systems and upgrades. I've battled with the remote control app and had a running skirmish with hdcp. All the whole getting fleeced...

Ive always bested it but ....Sometimes you just want to watch a film you know?

Tonight none of my blu rays work due to hdcp none compliance on my display and graphics card despite them having worked for a year

I'm done