Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
inserting video track in another
mark681 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 13, 2013 21:12 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to mimic Google Glass viewing while looking through Glass. I use the same image (2nd track) into the first. It gives the impression of a duplicate image during video playback. I would like to make some custom motion edits in the second track but when I do titles scroll from the bottom of track 1 into track 2. I can't get the scroll to stay in the 2nd track image. How can I force the motion in the 2nd track to stay confined inside the second track?

You can view the video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIt67TsCMgE. Any ideas?
mark681 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found I could move a third track (image) using PIP into the second track and adjust the motion to confine it into the smaller 2nd track. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to speed up the motion to make it appear it is snapping up from the lower edge to the middle of the 2nd track.

Text and images in the Google video seem to roll up quickly into the smaller right upper screen.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
mark681,

You could do the piece that is seen in the upper right corner in a separate project.
Get it the way you want, then produce to the best quality you can.
Import this produced video into the main project, place on a higher numbered track (2,3,4) then resize and move to the desired location.

Using this method you can get the text to remain in the desired shots.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Mark,

Poor mans image stabilizer- grab a gurney or hospital cart and place your camera on it... now just roll through the hallways.
I would like to do that myself .. haha.

Anyway, what Halcon said sounds good.

You can also use a text boxes and add effects to them, like roll up, slide and so on and position it in the upper right where you need them. (Unless I am missing what you are trying to do.)

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
mark681 [Avatar]
[Post New]
might try the suggestions of a cart but there is artifact with that because they too will not have shock absorbers unlike autos. I am going to try Hals suggestion. I didn't know you could place a project inside another (still a newbie). Thanks folks!

About text boxes and motion. Can you determine how fast the effect is rendered because it seemed like it was only one speed i.e. scroll up -- seems too slow.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark -

Using the Slide Up text transition/motion/effect, the speed of motion is controlled by (a) the total duration & (b) how you set the sliders...

Hal suggestion about producing you inset separately is the best way around your issue. If you want the inset to look better/stand out more, you could add a border or use fix/enhance to give it contrast.

Cheers - Tony

[Thumb - Title Speed.png]
 Filename
Title Speed.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
422 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2013 18:28

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
AHA!

The penny's finally dropped (with a bit of help from my brains trust). You're trying to replicate the appearance of Google Glass. DOH!

The attached zip file contains two overlays that will help create the "look". I've also thrown in the fonts (close) used in the GLASS interface & promos.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
GLASS.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1208 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
441 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2013 17:27

mark681 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Excellent suggestions. The sliders I was not using correctly. "Close" is the name of the Font? I tried Arial Narrow as a guess. Getting closer to a better video, thanks.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Mark -

No - I didn't write that very clearly. The font used in the GLASS interface is Roboto - the "Thin" & "Light" variants.

The font used for their promo material was developed by Google & you can't get it. The closest freely available one is Arual (not to be confused with Arial).

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - GLASS Fonts.png]
 Filename
GLASS Fonts.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
283 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
400 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 13. 2013 17:28

mark681 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is there any advantage to use an overlay verses changing opacity to 70% to give the impression of a partially transparent small inserted window in upper right corner? I realized I didn't capture a similar transparency in the original after I uploaded my first MOV on YouTube. The promotional video often has scenes difficult to see when looking at the smaller inserted image because of its transparency.

I am still struggling to control the how much the titles scroll when I need them to emerge from the bottom and stop in the middle of the screen then one item in the menu blinks. I can get the blinking individual item part by adding a second identical title with the 2nd motion to something like blinking or flashing (although I don't see that motion option unfortunately).

Thanks for all the help!
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Mark -

In answer to your "advantage" question. I guess the main advantage is that the inset panel would consistently be in the same position. If you produce the inset track separately (as Hal suggested earlier) I guess it doesn't make much difference.

You've set yourself a massive challenge replicating the GLASS look. There are so many subtle motion variants. I've been fiddling with it here, so I can see what you're up against. Let's face it - we're trying to copy what some of the best "moonshot" brains at Google have done!

Another thing I've been doing (to help replicate the effect) is making a set of white icons in a similar format. Once I get a batch done, I'll post them here.

You've done well to get the blinking/flashing text going. The duplicate title is a good idea. There may be something in this tutorial that helps with that... http://youtu.be/LOSTXFTr1lk

Cheers - Tony

mark681 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony, You are great. I have done some of the images like video icon and microphone in Corel 6x and exported to a png file. It looks like I will need some animated gif files if Director will let me use those. One scene requires a microphone that have a white ring around it as you are speaking. This is all fun stuff. You are so right when I fool myself that I can touch the super talented Google programs or other smart people on this Forum. But it is fun learning.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Mark -

Agreed - you do a lot of learning when you dive in the deep end!

I'm attaching the few icons I've made. They're not genuine "GLASS" icons, but they're on & off pretty quickly! Still working on a way to simplify the changing of icons for different "commands" to provide consistency.

Sounds like you're making some good headway.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
GLASS Icons.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
388 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
374 time(s)

mark681 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very well done images so many will appreciate your sharing. I think I misunderstood when you said "on-and-off quickly." I assumed you meant the images blink on-and-off. I inserted the microphone which is a very nice but not an animated image like an animated GIF. If I create an animated GIG will PowerDirector accept it like it does png and jpg image files?
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Mark Power Director well let you take and put in a Gif but the animated part will not work. I have made a few animated GIFs and put them in Quicktime Pro and had it make a video of Gif. Then drop the video it made in PD 11. That works.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 18. 2013 10:36

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If I create an animated GIF will PowerDirector accept it like it does png and jpg image files?

Good advice from Michael. And here's an alternative you might try...

Install Irfanview, the world's most popular freeware editor, from http://irfanview.com.
Open it to display your GIF. Under the OPTIONS menu click EXTRACT ALL FRAMES.

Select those frames with <ctrl-a> and load them into PD11.
On the timeline, select them all - again using <ctrl-a>.
Click the DURATION button and adjust to about five frames...or so.

The attached .wmv file demos the PD-produced result.
 Filename
Produce.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
162 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
368 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 18. 2013 11:44