Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HD DVD playback with PowerDVD 8 Ultra.
Kontoletas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2006 07:29 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Yes the PowerDVD 8 Ultra can’t play HD DVD movies.
If you have a lot of them use PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra.

If many users complain for this, maybe Cyberlink brink back the HD DVD support.

P.S.
Please Cyberlink think about your customers.
Rogers [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2006 20:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Yes the PowerDVD 8 Ultra can’t play HD DVD movies.
If you have a lot of them use PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra.

If many users complain for this, maybe Cyberlink brink back the HD DVD support.

P.S.
Please Cyberlink think about your customers.

I agree, if this is true, it really sucks. I have over 50 HD-DVD titles. I have had PowerDVD since the day it came out, and have collected titles even now. (At places that still have them that is)

Come on Cyberlink! You should think of your customers that bought your product when you DID support both technologies!
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rogers and Kontoletas,

FYI, if you wanted to upgrade to PowerDVD 8 from your existing version of 7.3 that supports HD DVD...you can without losing your ability to play back HD DVDs. Both versions can co-exist on your PC.

In other words, PowerDVD 8 would play any DVDs and Blu-ray Discs you have, while 7.3 would still play all of your HD DVDs.

Thanks

David
Tobias [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2008 12:08 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hah, if only 7.3 would play ALL HD DVDs as you say...try running Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition with the German DTS track...PowerDVD will crash(see the German Cyberlink forum that apparently noone reads or also on the cinefacts.de forums). Other tracks will work. I'm still waiting for a patch to fix this. Needless to say, I'm not purchasing any upgrade as long as that isn't fixed. And yes I've mailed support and here are the five brilliant answers:
1)send dxdiag.txt and BD/HD advisor results ->done
2)this were very detailed reinstall instructions->useless as I'm not the only one with this problem but done none the less
3)see above
4)PowerDVD doesn't support Dual Displays in HD playback->useless, I only have one monitor and never mentioned I would be using two or more
5)request to send dxdiag and BD/HD advisor results

USELESS

So guys, what answer will I get next to my pending inquiry? I would guess the reinstall instructions and after that the dual display answer again? How hard can it be to fix this problem? Look what different the German track is from the others and then FIX IT! Come on guys, you can do better than to send me hillbilly answers as if I wouldn't know what I'm doing on my PC.
Reflector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2008 11:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
i am confused as to why HD-DVD playback is excluded from this edition of the player. Plenty of people bought into HD why kill support for just because its not the official format. If you exclude this format why not exclude SVCD im sure not to many people use that format, WHy not just exclude DVD since BluRay is "superior" and the end all be all of hi def. I am very disappointed that my hardware will not be supported by "The Number 1 player". until WinDVD supported hi def, it was the only player. I think the title should be changed to the number 2 player.
Tobias [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2008 12:08 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Well, of course the main reason to not include support would be the money. I'm sure the HD DVD licence is not free. By not putting that into 8 Ultra, Cyberlink saves money. Of course they don't lower the price of the product because if you sell less features for the same price, your bank account will like it. So PowerDVD 8 Ultra still costs the same as 7 Ultra only with 2/3 of the features.
Archie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2008 14:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with the others who are complaining about removing HD DVD play capability from your latest upgrade, Power DVD 8 Ultra. I too have a large collection of HD DVD movies. With the price difference between HD DVD and Blu-Ray I'm sure that many movie fans are in the same boat.
fishyuk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2007 18:51 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Add me to the list of people thoroughly annoyed with this decision. I do not want to run two versions of Cyberlink on my machine, nor do I want to have to use the old interface when I've just stumped up cash for an upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I always had Intervideo but moved to Cyberlink for HD-DVD support and have 50+ titles. I've got Blu-Ray too but I'm not going to suddenly buy the same 50+ titles in Blu-Ray when there'll be no real difference!

Please come to your senses Cyberlink and return HD-DVD support, its not like you'll have to keep updating it anymore for new titles! We supported Cyberlink as early adopters of HD media, and paid our cash.

Otherwise I hear that WinDVD 9 will support both formats which would be an odd situation with them finally sorting that out, and Cyberlink castrating their own product!
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2007 19:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I agree. I went the LG/PC route to have dual format capability. I really wish Cyberlink would keep it in.
questwtg [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2008 23:29 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Me Too, I need powerDVD v8 to play both formats. Using v7, I will not pay for v8 upgrade. Cyberlink will lose money if HD DVD is not supported in the next versions.
gary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2008 18:21 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Add me to the list as well.. I would pay for v8 if it also played back HD/DVD's. Now I am looking for another player. Cyberlink no longer sells the full non oem version 7... so I cannot ever get full DTS sound from my HD/DVD's...
GaryR
Tony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2008 00:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This really sucks
I have owned PowerDVD since version 2 and when 7.3 went why not "UPGRADE" you can imagine the disapointment when I found it was a downgrade as now I have paid for a retail version of Ultra 8 for nothing as I have only std DVD and HD-DVD's!!!
Come on Cyberlink beta versions of 8 played HD-DVD so it can't be too hard to look after your customers

Tony
gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
The only thing I can tell you is that after looking around I settled on ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theatre... It supports both BluRay and HD/DVD, both within Media Center as well as a stand alone player, AND now works under Vista 64 bit OS as well. I wish Cyberlink was up to speed but they are asleep at the switch.
Gary
Robin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2008 07:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
WinDVD 9 plus HD from Coral is better than Cyberlink.
Tony [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2008 00:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The only thing I can tell you is that after looking around I settled on ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theatre... It supports both BluRay and HD/DVD, both within Media Center as well as a stand alone player, AND now works under Vista 64 bit OS as well. I wish Cyberlink was up to speed but they are asleep at the switch.
Gary

Thanks Gary,

It is a bugger i didn't know about this software b4 i bought PowerDVD 8
How does Arcsoft work within Media Center? This would be a great feature and make it well worth while if that works

Tony
gary [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes Arcsoft is fully integrated within Vista Media Center... and it supports all of the media center remote control commands as well.

I tried WinDVD 9 but found it to not work so well under Vista Media center especially with the 64 bit version.

You can download a free fully functioning copy of Arcsoft Total media from their website to try it out for 30 days...

Gary