Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mkv subtitle frustration
David333 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2013 22:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I have some mkv files with a combination of standard English and "forced" subtitles. I author my mkv's to default to my forced subtitle tracks if they are present. Version 13 ultra is not consistently playing back my movies and honoring the mkv headers for forced subtitle tracks. For example, I will watch a movie with English subtitles and then watch one with a forced track and the player selects the standard english track instead of the forced track even though it is flagged as default and forced. I have verified all my mkv headers are correct. Powerdvd 13 is not honoring the headers. This is very frustrating and requires constant user intervention to make sure I have the subtitles right for every movie I watch. The only way I could fix this is by removing all the subtitles except for the forced ones.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David333,
thanks for your input - the current design of PowerDVD 13 supports the manual selection of subtitle (language) once you have manually selected a subtitle this one will be used.
I have forwarded your idea to our planning team for further study.

thanks
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2013 05:51

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
David333 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2013 22:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Michael, this is by far my biggest issue with Version 13 Ultra. In my perfect world for subtitles for MKV files:

1) The player should always default to NO subtitles. EXCEPTIONS ARE BELOW:
2) If a MKV subtitle stream has a forced/default flag, the player needs to default to the forced/default subtitle stream automatically during playback.
3) When the next movie is played, the player needs to go back to the default of NO subtitles unless another forced/default Subtitle stream is detected in the next movie.

The current behavior is to erratic and unpredictable and is really pushing me to other solutions which I really don't want to. Thanks again for getting this one addressed.