Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.MOV and .MP4 files and upgrading
Richb33025 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2008 01:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
(Apologies if this post appears twice... I tried to submit it and it got hung on "Saving.")

Hello, and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.

FYI: I'm currently running PowerDirector Deluxe 7.00.2206 on Windows XP Pro 2002 with Service Pack 3, 2.66 GHz with 2.98 MB RAM.

Now, to the point: I haven't upgraded PowerDirector because it's always done what I needed it to do. Until now.

I'm trying to post a video to a website that will only accept .MOV and .MP4 files. My current version of PowerDirector will create both of those, but only at really low resolution. I create the .MOV file by going to "Create Streaming File," then "QuickTime Movie," then selecting "QuickTime High Quality," which creates a 640x360 .MOV file. I create an .MP4 file by going to "Create File," then "Portable .MPEG4," then selecting "Best Quality PSP video (H.264), which creates a 320x240 .MP4 file.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there another, better way to create either on my current PowerDirector? A way I'm not seeing?

2) Will a more-recent version of PowerDirector create better-resolution .MOV and .MP4 files? (I'm thinking the answer is yes, but need to make sure).

3) Dumb question, maybe, but if I want the current version of PowerDirector, do I have to pay full price? Or is there a discount for someone who has an older version?

4) Will any of the latest PowerDirector options run well on my somewhat older XP Pro system, based on the specs I gave you above?

Thank you, and I really appreciate your time.

--- Rich
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I am using Powerdirector 7 Ultra on Windows XP SP3 for my experiments.

You have Powerdirector 7 Deluxe, that may make a difference.

First, you should be using the 16X9 aspect ratio.
You can produce up to 1920x1080 files in the Create a File, not Streaming files.
Choose the AVC Mpeg4, you can produce H.264 video.

The output file will have m2ts extension, you should be able to rename to *.MP4 without harm.
If you want to see what new Powerdirector 11 is capable of, you can try the Trial.

Answer to Question 2: Yes Powerdirector 11 has a greater output resolution. MOV has a 1920x1080 profile. MPEG-4 is a maximum of 4K (4096x2160 30p 50Mpbs).

Answer to question 3: There are upgrade versions for less money. But In My opinion, the Full version is best.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/features_en_US.html?&r=1

Right now the full version is the same price as the upgrade for PD8 and below.

Answer to question 4. You computer is light for editing HD videos and Powerdirector 11 really needs a powerful computer to edit HD video with ease.

Recommended System Requirements
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/specs_en_US.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2013 20:54

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Richb33025 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2008 01:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you! I really appreciate the response.

It would certainly be easiest if I could change the .m2ts file to .MP4. It would mean my current PowerDirector could handle it properly.

Unfortunately, though, when I change it to .MP4, the Quicktime player doesn't recognize the file. Is there something else I should know?

Thanks!

--- Rich
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you! I really appreciate the response.

It would certainly be easiest if I could change the .m2ts file to .MP4. It would mean my current PowerDirector could handle it properly.

Unfortunately, though, when I change it to .MP4, the Quicktime player doesn't recognize the file. Is there something else I should know?

Thanks!

--- Rich

It was worth a shot, the MPEG4 file made by Powerdirector 7 is actually a MPEG-TS format. It is H.264 but not MP4.

Since your object is to make a video that your web site will accept, have you tried uploading a m2ts as made by PD7?

Windows Media Player will play just about all video formats if you install the latest K-Lite Codec pack.
That does not help Quicktime because Quicktime only uses its own codecs.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.