Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unable to Uninstall and Reinstall
ManuelG [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 22, 2013 23:39 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
When I click on Powerdirector 11, a message pops up that says
"there are MUI files missing. You must reinstall powerdirector."
I tried just installing it again but after the long process, the same message pops up. So then I go to where all my programs are so I can just uninstall the whole thing and start from scratch. Only I cant even uninstall it bc this msg pops up..
"Required installation file is missing (SKRSet.xml). I dont know what to do...I tried reinstalling powerdirector 11 with the backup disk AND download version, neither works. I dont even know what MUI files are or what SKRSet.xml is.

Also, it has to be version 11 because when I reinstall version 10 it works perfectly fine...the messages only pop up when I try version 11. Please help. Manuel
[Post New]
Quote: When I click on Powerdirector 11, a message pops up that says
"there are MUI files missing. You must reinstall powerdirector."
I tried just installing it again but after the long process, the same message pops up. So then I go to where all my programs are so I can just uninstall the whole thing and start from scratch. Only I cant even uninstall it bc this msg pops up..
"Required installation file is missing (SKRSet.xml). I dont know what to do...I tried reinstalling powerdirector 11 with the backup disk AND download version, neither works. I dont even know what MUI files are or what SKRSet.xml is.

Also, it has to be version 11 because when I reinstall version 10 it works perfectly fine...the messages only pop up when I try version 11. Please help.

Already tried to use this tool, CLCleaner for PowerDirector 11.
download here http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/CLCleaner/CLCleaner2-PowerDirector_11.0.zip

More information here http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=14946 AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Kar3n2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 30, 2016 09:04 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Im having a terrible time with same files missing on power director 13.

Cannot unistall to install new version this is terrible
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Im having a terrible time with same files missing on power director 13.

Cannot unistall to install new version this is terrible

Download and load the free trail of REVO Unstaller PRO. Use the search function because it will search for partially unstalled programs. Once it finds the leftovers, uninstall them using REVO BUT ONLY IN THE Moderate Mode.

Get rid of any and all registry cleaners if you are/have used them. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Note this is a three-year-old thread, although the recent post is on the same topic.

Steve, from my use of Revo it seems to start by using the Windows uninstaller and the application's own uninstaller file before cleaning up orphaned entries from the registry. As such if the uninstall is failing because of a missing file I'd have thought Revo might fail for the same reason. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Edit: I see the Pro version claims to be able to uninstall stubborn applications so maybe I am wrong. I've only used the standard free version.

If this is the case I don't know of any method other than manually deleting the application folder in the Windows Program Files folder and then using a registry cleaner to get rid of the registry entries. I know registry cleaners are not advised but that might be a last resort and anyway Revo itself is acting as a registry cleaner of sorts.

I yearn for the days of the Mac OS. You could do a clean uninstall just by deleting the application folder and the associated preferences folder. No cr&p left lying around taking up disk space and no registry getting more and more bloated with orphaned junk.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2016 11:01

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Mike, I responded to the most recent post. REVO uninstaller PRO does what it says it will do. I recommended it so many times that I felt obligated to buy the PRO version.

You are correct about it acting as a Register Cleaner. It will not do any damage if you use it in the Moderate Mode as I suggested.

It does search for the application, thries to use the built in unuinstalle if it can find it and then uses it own uninstaller. It then searches for other leftovers files file folders and registry entries. The only thing I know of that challenged people was the people who had several version of the same program on their computer. It was sometimes difficulat to separate one from the other. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Steve, thanks for the clarification. It looks like it should deal with Kar3n2's problem. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64