Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 13 Ultra Feature Request: Subtitles>Off
vikingrinn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2011 01:52 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
please, if at all possible, update powerdvd 13 ultra to simply include the following option:

player settings>video, audio, subtitles>subtitles settings>default encoding>off

thanks!~
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
if you set the subtiltes off once when playback they stay off.

thats the current product behavior

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

br
Michael
Problem is, on some discs, disabling the subtitles is not allowed.

For instance, this disc: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Flesh-and-Blood-Blu-ray/49176/

I like to watch movies in their original language, and in the menu of this one, there's only "French" or "Original sub titled". And when you try to disable the subtitles manually, in PDVD 12 it says it's an illegal user operation (or however it's worded), and in PDVD 13 the option is just grayed out. I have to use AnyDVD HD to enable the options in both versions of PDVD if I don't want French subtitles forced on me.

I understand the reason of most protections, even if I don't always agree with them, but here, I don't see a single valid reason for now allowing the user to turn off subtitles on any disc he legally owns.

So I agree PDVD should have a simple option to globally disable subtitles. I don't see how this would harm any silly "rule" or "copyright".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2013 11:45

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I understand the reason of most protections, even if I don't always agree with them, but here, I don't see a single valid reason for now allowing the user to turn off subtitles on any disc he legally owns.

I know this problem - I have some DVD here that also limit the original soundtrack to be forced with subtitles.
The reason is again the contenent owner (licensor) and the licensee are responsible for the related contracts.

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]

I know this problem - I have some DVD here that also limit the original soundtrack to be forced with subtitles.
The reason is again the contenent owner (licensor) and the licensee are responsible for the related contracts.

br
Michael
Jeez, it's not like we are making illegal copies of the movie. Can't you guys arrange something with those "licensors"? I'm sure they wouldn't mind us watching their original store bought discs without the damned subtitles if we don't want them.

Well, AnyDVD HD is making this "right" (and don't lecture me about it...), but if I ever get a Cinavia protected disc with that silly forced subtitle thing, I'll be a bit more angry.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2013 12:02

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
vikingrinn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2011 01:52 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

br
Michael

would much rather prefer the ability to universally shut all subtitles 'off' by default, so that with each and every video played they are disabled. then, if they're necessary or desired for whatever reason, we can enable them on a case by case basis. just the opposite as it is configured now, and just as featured in other media player settings...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2013 15:59

[Post New]

Hi Maybe I was not clear on that - its the contract between the content owner and the disc maker - which oftern are not the same.

br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2013 02:47

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
David333 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2013 22:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Here is the problem we are all trying to describe...When I play an MKV file and turn on the subs....every movie that I click on thereafter has the subs "on" by default. The player seems to remember that I just watched a movie with subs and assumes I want them on all the time. This is not the case...
There needs to be an additional option to always default the subs to "off" at the start of every movie (VLC Player does this PERFECTLY) unless an MKV file header forces a Forced sub to play automatically. The checkbox should not overrule the MKV headers. After watching a movie with forced subs, the next one should come up with no subs as default (assuming this movie has no forced subs).
This will prevent users from always having to check sub settings every time a movie starts.

Thanks for your consideration!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2013 21:51

Enchild [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2012 10:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Any updates to this feature request?
For every blue-ray movie that I watch in cinema mode, I MUST DISABLE subtitles.

I and other users are requesting the opposite.
Is this too much to ask?
PMPCOM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2012 04:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with David333 - I want preffer setting from MKV:
Forced Subs view....
jkosharek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2011 10:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issue, and press "U" to toggle them off on 98% of the movies I watch. Very irritating for at least the last 3 or 4 revisions this is still an issue...
Enchild [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2012 10:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
All that needs to be done is to have the same subtitle settings that exist in regular mode to be available in cinema mode.

Done - customers are happy again.