Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
a recommended laptop for video editing
lyn123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 30, 2013 17:13 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
looking to buy a new laptop.. and saw this,,or does anyone know of a better laptop?.. hoping to find one that runs fast!! and takes large volumes of video editing!!!
HP - ENVY 17.3" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Hello !
ok,,using trial version of powerdirector ultimate 11
I like using my own music,,but how do sync? if you pick their music it sync beautifully,,,but would like my own music,, anyone know how ?

Im an old adobe user which has that :0(
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What type of processor and GPU? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi! Thanks for your quick reply,, the max,, I need a computer that can handle two different video editing software Hello !
I like using my own music,,but how do sync? if you pick their music it sync beautifully,,,but would like my own music,, anyone know how ?

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: looking to buy a new laptop.. and saw this,,or does anyone know of a better laptop?.. hoping to find one that runs fast!! and takes large volumes of video editing!!!
HP - ENVY 17.3" Laptop - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive

Do you know how many Hp ENVY 17 inch laptop models there are? Post the complete model number and approximate price.

Max CPU and GPU doesn't mean much. Just in case - CPU is the central processing unit. - Intel's fastest are I7. GPU is graphic processing unit. The GPU could be on the CPU chip or it could be a separate video card from AMD or NVidia.

cnet has a lot of good information in theri laptop guide. You may want to read it.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-buying-guide/

You want to start looking at "gaming" laptops. If they are out of your price range then drop down to what you want to spend. many lower cost laptops will be excellent for what you want to do.

Now, how much do you want to spend? There is always a limit. There is also no need to spend the "MAX" if you are doing standard definition video but you will want to spend more for high definition video. Are you interested in blu ray? How about 3D.

Go here and pcik a laptop in the price range you are interested in. Look at the extras that come with the laptop and pick one that has the extras and fits in your price range. Now go to HP and see if you can match that at the same or lower cost without losing features. http://www.dell.com/outlet?dgc=IR&cid=69550&lid=1764595

I assume that you like" HP but consider Dell, Asus, Lenovo, and others. Here are some tools to help you choose (pc mag)
http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/laptop-computers or Cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 06. 2013 09:35

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
hello,,
well my problem is Im not sure which laptop would be good for me,, I see some priced at 1,500 and some at 800 and don't see the difference.. but I may not see which one is missing etc..

so I looked up this one.. does this have the quality to carry all the heavy video editing?

HP Envy DV7-7250US - Core i7 2.4 GHz - 1 TB HDD / 5400 rpm - 17.3″ 1600 x 900 - 8 GB RAM - Brushed aluminum in midnight black Hello !

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Lyn, No one is going to tell you how to spend your money.

Some people get along quite well with i3 processors and others think they need a I7 cpu or the equivalent AMD cpus. All work. You didn't say how much you would be using it for - professional, commercial or hobby.

Why do you want a laptop rather than a desktop? Usually desktops are less expensive for an equivalent computer. Make sure you look at the weight of the laptop because that is what you would be carrying around.

Please re-read the information I posted especially the information form cnet's laptop guide? After looking at that, come back and tell us if you still have questions.

BTW, it seems that you have already made up your mind and just want some validation. In most cases, one is as good as another; it is what you do and how you maintain it.

Look at the signatures of some of the frequent posters to see if they have listed a laptop and the specs for the laptop.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 06. 2013 11:21

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi stevek,
Im not looking at anyone to tell me how to spend my money,,but rather a message of which laptop that has all the requirements needed. I did look at the CNET,, it pretty much says i7 core,,or gaming laptop..

I have a laptop,,i7 core is all I know,,and it's in the shop,,
that laptop couldn't handle the powerdirector ,, it froze a lot and it had a 8gb I think. and ran very slow!..it's a Samsung.. wish I could tell you more but I don't have it with me now so I don't know. So Im afraid to buy another laptop and go thru the same issue..

The reason in the shop,,cuz the mouse didn't work when it wanted to,, so still under warranteed and they think I may have to pick another one free my choice. Hello !

lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
forgot to answer your other question about laptop/desktop..

I like to sit at my couch.. I don't take my computer out of the house,,so the weight would not bother me,, just a desktop I have to sit at a table.. chair,, I rather lay back on couch with the computer on my lap Hello !

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: hello,,
well my problem is Im not sure which laptop would be good for me,, I see some priced at 1,500 and some at 800 and don't see the difference.. but I may not see which one is missing etc..

so I looked up this one.. does this have the quality to carry all the heavy video editing?

HP Envy DV7-7250US - Core i7 2.4 GHz - 1 TB HDD / 5400 rpm - 17.3″ 1600 x 900 - 8 GB RAM - Brushed aluminum in midnight black

I would recommend that you get an i7, but greater than 3 GHz. I doubt you will find very many laptops that have a 7200 RPM Hard drive, but it would be nice if you can find a laptop that is i7 3 GHz+ and a 1 TB or larger 7200 RPM hard drive. 8 GB of Ram or more is good on a 64 bit OS.

You are on the right track looking for Windows 7 64 bit operation system. I do not know if Windows 8 is good for Video Editing, although there are many members that have Windows 8.

SSD drives are still a big question mark.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,, thanks so much for your input ! Hello !

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I'll add a bit about SSD's. Before I bought one I did what any buyer of tech should do and read the spec for the drives. SSD's are a lot cheaper and bigger than they were a while back, they also have better write and read capabilities. Many of the early SSD's that end user had, in their laptops or inserted into a desktop, were small and a lot slower than available now. This led to end user editing problems, lack of processing space etc.

For a more efficient and speedier edit with faster data read/write speeds then SSD is the way forward for editors. The system I built is looking for a capability to deal with 4K video and a 3 year life span. I included a large SSD as my C drive.

Temp file and over writing of such data I am told is one problem area SSD's have issues with. Redirecting where Temp files are published to is one of the actions I carried out. On my W8Pro set up, the internal SSD is fine. I also have a collection of internal HDD's. I'm sure many editors are looking at the specs of some of the latest SSD's and are considering adding them/or one to their computers.

Just my opinion.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2013 10:14

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd ;

The system I built is looking for a capability to deal with 4K video and a 3 year life span.

???

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for your input,, I'm steering towards a desktop that seems to have more power,, not fan of desktops since I like to chill on a couch,, but video editing sure is in high demand! Hello !

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks so much for your input,, I'm steering towards a desktop that seems to have more power,, not fan of desktops since I like to chill on a couch,, but video editing sure is in high demand!

Hi lyn123,
That would be a better option, in my opinion. If you're looking for something that will assist you further, use two monitors, same make, same model (size etc) to make your experience much more enjoyable.
Dafydd
lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi there !
I'm a little confused what you mean by two monitors? Hello !

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi there !
I'm a little confused what you mean by two monitors?

One computer can have more than one monitor. I have a computer (more than one PC with multiple monitors) with two monitors/screens. It is dependent upon the capability of the graphics card. Some graphic cards will also allow you to have two monitors or more and have a TV linked as well. You can work in one monitor with PDR open in that one while using a second program in another or previewing a project in full screen while editing. As mentioned two monitors make the editing experience so much more pleasant/enjoyable.
Dafydd
lyn123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok,, I don't think I would know how to work with two monitors lol,, I do have two thou,, just looking around for desktop,, so many different one some have this and the others have this. So far haven't found one with all the requirement for the software Hello !

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Dafydd ;

The system I built is looking for a capability to deal with 4K video and a 3 year life span.

???

Hi Nina,
4K video the new coming thing. There are TV sets and cameras already.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

I think the hope for 3 year life span is for the computer, Computers double in power about every 2 years. (Moore's Law).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

Have fun,
Carl
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,

Yes, I did understand what was meant.

On the other hand, a 3 year life span I found a rather short life, given no severe accidents
or no very, very serious work / editing as a professional film- or videomaker/worker for a
Pr company, BBC – or another TV station/broadcaster.
Doing a search, I find that opinions of life spans of computers vary quite a bit.
From 5-6 to as much as 10 years.
There are many variables that can reduce the life span of course,
such as how much you use it and how hard you push it, environmental heat , dust,
ordinary maintenance etc.etc.
Then there’s the factor, the thing of “keeping up”.
I use the parameters much like what car to buy- at which time.
What are my needs?
How skilled am I actually?
Do I need the car as/in my profession?
Do the car I have fail all the time?
How fast am I mostly driving?
Will the cost of a new car level out with an income it will give me?
Can I afford a new car just for my own pleasure of driving it?

My desktop is 3 years old. I expect to have it working at least 4 years more before
considering rebuild it any further. I spend so much time trying to improve my actual
editing skills that the thought of “keeping up” is not visible on my horizon.
The programs I have give me challenges to develop for a long time still, and I am leaning
towards the realistic fact that “new and better” equipment will not make me a better
editor, more creative or significant.
BTW, I do have 2 monitors, but find I seldom use more than 1.

cheers,
Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Stick with the OP's raised issues please. Hijacking/Distracting posts are likely to be removed.
Forum Moderator

I find the discussion here about the length of time I project for my computer to be in operation to be unnecessary. If you operate an aging computer you will encounter issues and problems I have seen on outdated systems. As a video editor I have built my own desktop systems and bought laptops. I have only ever bought one desktop manufactured by a company. I asked for a 8mb graphics card to be added to its spec, doubling the standard 4mb card it had. A video editor requires a powerful unit to display and process video. I suggest you test your computer out.
1. Open PDR11
2. Add 20 tracks
3. Bring into PDR11's Library a 2 minute 1080p 60fps video.
4. Place the video into Track1
5. Alter the Preview setting to Full HD
6. Add the same video to Track 1 to 10
7. Select the Preview and play the preview
8. If PDR11 plays without stuttering or hanging, add a further video to Track 11 to 20

Edit: No Shadow file creation allowed!

The test is to find the display and preview limitation of your computer. Reducing the Preview display setting lowers the review quality during edit. I doubt many computers will be able to withstand 20 tracks at Full HD. PDR will hang, jump and stutter. If you have a 4 year old computer it'll stutter and die during the task!

Dafydd

PS. For those who think this test is ridiculous. I had a project containing 42 videos, 24 tracks, 35 Pip's/motion paths and a number of audio tracks within a 30 second slot. At high preview setting I was unable to Preview the project. I upped the spec on the PC I built!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 08. 2013 16:19