Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
JVC is the problem not Cyberlink
Richard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2008 06:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I recently purchased the JVC Everio 30G HDD camcoder. I didn't know that JVC used the MOD format for recording its video. Check the web and you will find that MOD is a format the most vendors stay away from.

This is JVC's problem and not Cyberlink. Cyberlink is in business to create video output not create the orginal input. The software provided will work, or you must do your own research to find software that can use MOD files as input to convert the files to something that will work for you.

I will be upgrading to the producer product by Cyberlink, since I alreay own Cyberlink software and am pleased with the result.

Software vendors do not provide the complete current version of their software, If the complete version, it is outdated and you would have to upgrade to the current version, or they provide a Lite version that will work without all of the bells and whistle.

I don't work for Cyberlink or JVC. It's just wrong to blame Cyberlink for this problem. JVC is at fault. I for one will stay with the camera because of the video it produces and Cyberlink because they support the input. Mayber or video software vendor can provide a change to support MOD files but I doubt that.
David [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Dec 09, 2007 19:18 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
In 99.9% of situations all you need to do is change the file extension to .mpg.

*.mod files are mpeg2 files in disguise.
Jan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2008 03:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
...then, the file doesn't contain sound, olny video
Jeff and Kate [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2008 11:34 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Not necessarily, Jan. Check the video player you are using to make sure that it can handle mpeg2 files and not just mpeg. I can download a file from my JVC camcorder, change the file extension, and play it (with sound) in Widows Media Player (I have Win XP) with no problems.

If you still can't play it with sound, make sure you have all the current codecs for your particular player that you are using.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Bukary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 07, 2008 14:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Here's more info about MOD files:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=124055&page=1

Good luck, Jan!
Sandy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 28, 2008 13:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, I agree. I tried this little 'cheat' and it works fine even in WMP, although I prever PowerDVD.

Quote: Not necessarily, Jan. Check the video player you are using to make sure that it can handle mpeg2 files and not just mpeg. I can download a file from my JVC camcorder, change the file extension, and play it (with sound) in Widows Media Player (I have Win XP) with no problems.

If you still can't play it with sound, make sure you have all the current codecs for your particular player that you are using.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Nadia [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 04, 2008 01:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
i have a SONY pinnacle video producer and have been using this software for 2 years. i only bought JVC camcoder last year. i tried converting the video files from mod to mpeg2 and tried importing the converted files to the video producer but they wouldn't open. even when the files have been converted. i didn't want to use PD5 at first because the one that jvc gave didn't have many effects and you have to purchase an upgrade to get those effects, correct? so since i already have a video producer software, i thot, why not i use it? but still after converting the files, the software couldn't read it! any idea why?