Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best setup for my two disks: SSD and eSATA
Gordonq [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2013 15:04 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm going to install PowerDirector today and I'll install it on my C: drive which is a 300GB Intel SSD. I also have my old 7200RPM 640GB HD that I can attach to my Dell eSATA port. It seems that there could be an advantage in having two disks in rendering/processing video. Does someone have a recommendation such as where to put place my input .AVI's or output files? I'd like to use the eSATA drive as it's unused and can hold some input or output files. "Search" didn't locate any information like this. I'm wanting to produce home movies and write in blu-ray format.

Dell XPS15 Intel i7 sandy bridge 2.2GHz
Invidia 540M graphics
300GB SSD
540GB eSATA port
6GB DDR3 memory
1080 x 1920 screen
Panasonic Blu-Ray writer

Thanks Gordon
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm going to install PowerDirector today and I'll install it on my C: drive which is a 300GB Intel SSD. I also have my old 7200RPM 640GB HD that I can attach to my Dell eSATA port. It seems that there could be an advantage in having two disks in rendering/processing video. Does someone have a recommendation such as where to put place my input .AVI's or output files? I'd like to use the eSATA drive as it's unused and can hold some input or output files. "Search" didn't locate any information like this. I'm wanting to produce home movies and write in blu-ray format.

Dell XPS15 Intel i7 sandy bridge 2.2GHz
Invidia 540M graphics
300GB SSD
540GB eSATA port
6GB DDR3 memory
1080 x 1920 screen
Panasonic Blu-Ray writer

Thanks

Is this computer a Laptop?

If it is a Laptop, use the eSATA port. If it is a desktop, it would be better if you install the 640 GB drive internally.
There is a definite advantage having another Hard drive in the computer.

If the drive is internal, you can take advantage of the extra space to put your videos while editing. Be careful with using external storage, PD gets upset if the videos are missing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2013 21:06

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gordonq,
If you could follow up on your initial question by answering Carl, then that would be great. More guidance can be given and useful (for you) additional information from members.
I would like to know more and maybe add something to this thread to.
Dafydd
Gordonq [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2013 15:04 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, yes this is a laptop. I had a nice install experience and I'm generally pleased with the software during my "getting acquainted" phase with it. I see that for HD processing that the i7 2.2Ghz processor is the bottleneck in getting the finished result and that disk i/o isn't the biggest concern for performance. That's probably why I didn't find any recommendations for setup. I'll just use the extra 640GB space as just that - extra space. I don't thing there's much of a performance hit at least on the small test projects I'm currently doing. I'll play around with it a little more when I do a longer project. Resules are pretty impressive so far. Thanks for the replies. - Gordonq Gordon
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Gordonq for getting back to the forum. Much appreciate the write up/feedback.
The SSD you're using will speed up things. Be aware of temp storage file problems with SSD's.
Using your eSata drive - keep permanently connected is best. The eSata connection throughput might have an energy saving set up that will affect PDR11 if allowed to "sleep" during use.
Keep getting acquainted with PDR11 .
Dafydd
Martini2771 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Riga, Latvia Joined: Apr 02, 2013 12:10 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I have very similar questions, so making a new thread is unnecessary.
I planning to buy a new desktop PC and upgrade my PD 9 to 11.
Parts for PC are ordered already and the main are following:
- CPU: i7 3770
- GPU: GTX 660
- HDD: 2 TB 7200rpm (1x)
- SSD: 128 GB
- MB: Asus P8H77-V
- RAM: Kingston 8GB (kit of 2)

My question is can someone suggest me the best setup for optimum, stable and fast operation of the PD11 with this rig.
In particular - correct use of SSD and HDD. My general understanding is that software should be installed on SSD for "speeding things up" and every video/other media file - raw or produced - on HDD. In another thread I read that it is recommended to install PD in the same place as OS, but problem is that SSD doesn't have lots of free space (enough for OS and PD itself but not for all those page/swap files, my guess)
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20041.page
Also I wonder where does shadow files will be created in this setup and "who is responsible" for creating them at all - CPU, SSD or HDD? i7-3770 | Gigabyte GTX 660 | Asus P8H77-V | Kingston HyperX 16 Gb RAM | Intel 330 180 Gb SSD | 2 Tb Seagate HDD | FSP Raider 550W 85+ | Nexus Prominent R case
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,
I have very similar questions, so making a new thread is unnecessary.
I planning to buy a new desktop PC and upgrade my PD 9 to 11.
Parts for PC are ordered already and the main are following:
- CPU: i7 3770
- GPU: GTX 660
- HDD: 2 TB 7200rpm (1x)
- SSD: 128 GB
- MB: Asus P8H77-V
- RAM: Kingston 8GB (kit of 2)

My question is can someone suggest me the best setup for optimum, stable and fast operation of the PD11 with this rig.
In particular - correct use of SSD and HDD. My general understanding is that software should be installed on SSD for "speeding things up" and every video/other media file - raw or produced - on HDD. In another thread I read that it is recommended to install PD in the same place as OS, but problem is that SSD doesn't have lots of free space (enough for OS and PD itself but not for all those page/swap files, my guess)
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20041.page
Also I wonder where does shadow files will be created in this setup and "who is responsible" for creating them at all - CPU, SSD or HDD?

My first concern is the size of the SSD drive, My C drive is about 65 GB of used space.
Powerdirector works best if there is about 60-100 GB of free space on the C drive. Your SSD starts empty as 128 GB.
You should install Powerdirector on the Spinning HDD to conserve space on the small SSD drive.

I am not sure using a SSD drive with Powerdirector is a good idea. Some users do OK, some users do not do OK.

Shadow files, with your CPU: i7 3770, you do not need to use them, I recommend that your uncheck that option in PD preferences.
Shadow Files...Turn them off, then you do not have to provide space for them.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Martini2771,
Carl has partly answered your question, however you should post as a NEW topic as your concerns are a distraction, a hijacking of this thread.
New Topic link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=110

Forum Moderator
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Start a new thread please. Post hijacked. See guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24769.page
Topic locked.
Forum moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 03. 2013 03:13