Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power2Go 7 Won't Burn Blu-ray
JamesDitto [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2013 09:56 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have just installed a Samsung Slim Portable Blu-ray disc burner onto my laptop running Windows Vista. For some reason, Power2Go 7 isn't giving me any option to burn BDs, only CDs and DVDs. I even tried deactivating my DVD drive to get it to recognize the BD burner, however, it still won't offer me the option to burn BDs. The disc drive does, however, show up when I click on the Settings button. Please find a couple of screenshots attached.
[Thumb - Power2Go.jpg]
 Filename
Power2Go.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
665 time(s)
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello James,

What is the exact version and SR number of your Power2Go? You can find out by clicking on the Power2Go logo or select Help > About I believe.

BD data burning option is available even if you don't have a BD drive installed. For example, on this computer I am using I have just a DVD drive, but I see the BD option in my Power2Go.

However, some versions of Power2Go don't have it. So let us know the version number and where you got it, i.e. came with the drive, etc.

Regards,
David
JamesDitto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi David,
Thanks for responding. The version is 7.0.0.2914a. The serial number is MES120620-04. It came with the installation software accompanying the drive.

Best,
James
[Post New]
Hi
I have exactly the same problem: I just bought a Samsung SE-506 external bluray writer as a gift for my brother-in-law to use with his newish PC with Windows 7 64bit.
Everything installed ok, we can see the new drive in windows explore as well as the internal DVD writer.
We installed the bundled CyberLink Media Suite - all of the programs that can write to disks show both CD and DVD options but NONE of them show any Blu Ray writing capability!
I took the DVD home and installed it onto my own Win7 PC (I have an internal LG blu ray writer) - EVERY program shows all possible formats, including Blu Ray!
So for example if I run Power2Go (version 7.0.0.1906) then select "Data Disc" then on my computer it shows CD, DVD and Blu-ray disc, but on his it only shows CD and DVD, no Blu-ray option.

So we know the programs can work as expected, but am very confused as to why they don't work on his PC.
He has been using a dvd slideshow creation program called DVD Photo Slideshow Professional for a few years and he wanted to upgrade to write HD blu rays instead of DVDs, hence the purchase.
But now when using this program if he selects the blu ray drive then all of the disk writing options are greyed out, if he selects the DVD drive or the Blu Ray drive but a DVD disk then he can write stuff.
So somewhere something thinks that the drive is only a DVD drive, not a blu ray.
Any ideas pelase?

Thanks
Chris
JamesDitto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ash.
I downloaded different software and it's working now. I couldn't get it to work with Power2Go 7 and when I tried to upgrade to v.8, it also installed a bunch of software that I didn't ask for, so I won't be using Power2Go from here on out. Thanks for your assistance.

Best,
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2019 22:57

Matteo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2013 17:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
It's happening to me the same as Razzi, with same Samsung Se-506 external blu ray writer. Power2Go 7 LE build is 7.0.0.2914a and SR is MES120620-04. I am running WIndows 7 64bit. No chance to select BD. Luckily the software already installed on my Laptop is compatible with Blu Ray burning.
merlin7777777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2015 21:29 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Is there now a solution to this? I bought the samsung se-506 and this is the software that was bundled with it so it should work with blu-rays. I'm using vista 32 and power2go7 LE version 7.0.0.3328.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is there now a solution to this? I bought the samsung se-506 and this is the software that was bundled with it so it should work with blu-rays. I'm using vista 32 and power2go7 LE version 7.0.0.3328.

IS there a good blu ray in the burner when you go to burn? I'm not sure Vista will recognize a blu ray.

Download ISOBurn, a free program that should burn a blu ray. I don;t know if it is compatible with Vista. If it is, be careful, it used to be a very good clean program with no malware; lately it is full of it so be careful and select a good source AND do a custom install. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
merlin7777777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Is there now a solution to this? I bought the samsung se-506 and this is the software that was bundled with it so it should work with blu-rays. I'm using vista 32 and power2go7 LE version 7.0.0.3328.

IS there a good blu ray in the burner when you go to burn? I'm not sure Vista will recognize a blu ray.

Download ISOBurn, a free program that should burn a blu ray. I don;t know if it is compatible with Vista. If it is, be careful, it used to be a very good clean program with no malware; lately it is full of it so be careful and select a good source AND do a custom install.

Thanks, Stevek. I see I can use it to burn an iso. Can you recoomend some freeware that will allow me to author a blu-ray disc to HDD with a menu?

Just to let you know, it looks like my vista may have a slight corruption. Since I swapped my HDD for an SSD it seems it has installed no service packs or updates and when I try to force it to do so it refuses and gives me an error. Horrible feeling I'm looking at a reinstall...
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
ISOBurn, one possibility was mentioned in my last post.

The ISO file you make must have the menu included. An ISO is an exact duplicate of what is on a disc -- blu ray or other.

Good luck with the computer. Did your SSD comne with a transfer program? Did you use that? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
merlin7777777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ISOBurn, one possibility was mentioned in my last post.

The ISO file you make must have the menu included. An ISO is an exact duplicate of what is on a disc -- blu ray or other.

Good luck with the computer. Did your SSD comne with a transfer program? Did you use that?

yes I used a transfer kit.

Ultimately I want to compile several video files onto one blu-ray with a menu. I understand I can burn a blu-ray with isoburn but what can I use to compile and add a menu? I didn't think isoburn did that.
stevek
[Post New]
Ok, I misunderstood.

I don;t think that Vista has Movie Maker that will do a blu ray. Look and see.

Time to invest in a new video editing program or in the latest version of Power2Go (note it is cheaper today than the upgrade).

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power2go-platinum/features_en_US.html

There is a trial version . I don;t know if or how it is limited.

You may also want to consider and upgrade to your OS.

Just to make sure, just burning to a blu ray will NOT improve the quality of the video. You'll just be able to put more on a disc. If you start with standard definition video, the results will be standard video.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2015 11:43

merlin7777777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ok, I misunderstood.

I don;t think that Vista has Movie Maker that will do a blu ray. Look and see.

Time to invest in a new video editing program or in the latest version of Power2Go (note it is cheaper today than the upgrade).

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power2go-platinum/features_en_US.html

There is a trial version . I don;t know if or how it is limited.

You may also want to consider and upgrade to your OS.

Just to make sure, just burning to a blu ray will NOT improve the quality of the video. You'll just be able to put more on a disc. If you start with standard definition video, the results will be standard video.

Thanks, Stevek. My goals are saving space and getting many videos of one type in one place for user convenience. I realise you can't increase quality so was never an objective.

I realise an OS upgrade is the ultimate answer but I'm putting it off because it effectively means a new laptop. My current one is very highly specified and I won't be able to afford the latest equivalent for some time. I can't see the point in paying to upgrade the OS on an old machine so I'm trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of this one. If I can't get this to work then my next step will be to do a clean install of Vista which might cure the minor hurdles but it's a horrendous amount of work to put everything back, update it, tweak it etc etc. I've no real reason to think the software won't run on vista - all my googling suggests it will and I can't specifically see anything to say it won't.
Jose_Replacement [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2016 17:22 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Exactly the same problem as Razzi here. I unistalled the cyberlink programs. Then I re-installed those programs HAVING my Samsung Blu-ray writer plugged (USB). Actually I installed them FROM the Blu-ray writer. All the Blu-Ray options were available after that. Hope it works for somebody else.