Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HW encoding: Which GPU supports which output profile?
jberling [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2010 16:36 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I found the following information here:

3. Hardware encode

To enable this feature, go to [Produce] > [Fast video rendering technology] > enable [Hardware video encoder]

If your computer supports hardware acceleration, you can enable this feature to speed up rendering and burning time. Every graphics card that supports hardware encoder supports different output profiles.

How do I know which GPU supports which output profile in terms of hardware encoding? In my case I burn standard DVDs which I guess means that I create MPEG-2 videos. Is there a way to know which graphics card supports HW encoding to MPEG-2?

Or am I missing the point completely?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I believe you have to check with the graphics card manufacturer. It should be listed in the specifications for each card. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
The graphics processor that is in my computer is AMD Radeon HD 7560D. It's actually part of the AMD APU A8-5500 (CPU) component, not the motherboard. In PowerDirector 11 Ultra it hardware encodes MPEG-2, H.264, MKV, MPEG-4 (AVC/h.264), and WMV. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
jberling [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2010 16:36 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Well, this is quite fascinating. I can't find any obvious information regarding this on either AMD's or Nvidia's sites, nor on Cyberlink's site. My own guess is that all Radeon 7000 series supports MPEG-2 encoding in hardware as well as older Radeons, including my HD4670.

But what about Nvidia? I was hoping to find support for MPEG-2 in Geforce 670, but I can't find any info on Nvidia's site. From older posts on different forums I get the suspicion that there is no support for MPEG-2 encoding in any Nvidia GPUs, at least when it comes to PD. Can anyone confirm this? It appears as if GF 670 supports OpenGL, but that might be unimportant in this case?

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
On Cyberlink's product page on the "SPECS" tab is mention about my APU/GPU combination and that a separate download of the AVIVO encoders from AMD was needed in order to enable hardware acceleration. It made a big difference in rendering speed. So make sure you check the requirements on the Product page for PowerDirector 11 Ultra and Ultimate.

The information about the AVIVO package is all the way at the bottom in fine print:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/specs_en_US.html Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The information about the AVIVO package is all the way at the bottom in fine print:

The later GPU drivers eliminated the need for a separate AVIVO software.

It is now included in all Video Driver updates.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.