Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm having a zoom problem...
Tangle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2010 09:40 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I did a blue screen demo that worked as expected. The video is my hand over a PD11 background and a PD11 pic. The problem is that my hand is too large. I need to reduce the vid clip of my hand to a smaller size to look more proportional to the pic.

Everything I've tried only produces a crop effect. I.e. I can reduce the overall size of the frame, but the image remains full scale and just gets clipped.

I have been able to do this with Adobe Premier Elements, but I like PD better and need to learn how to do this in PD11.

I'm sure I've overlooked the obvious, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tangle
 Filename
Blue screen demo.pd11.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
blue screen demo that needs image reduction
 Filesize
31742 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
163 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I am downloading the clip, but from your description, highlight the clip of your hand in the timeline. Now, in the preview window, grab the edge of the video (by the white arrow in my sample image) and drag it to the middle of the preview pane. That should reduce the size of that clip. You can then move the clip with the preview pane if needed to relocate.
[Thumb - preview.jpg]
 Filename
preview.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
211 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
107 time(s)
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tangle -

So - the wandering hand needed to be shot from further back?

You could simply resize the "blue screen" clip, as James has suggested. That might work for you in your circumstance.

Another thought I had (along the same lines) would be to resize the "blue screen" clip and lay it over a blue background (same as T-shirt)... if you then produced that, you could use it, with chroma key applied to the blue, in your production.

You may need to apply a mask to the clip, in any case, to disguise the edges.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Resize.png]
 Filename
Resize.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
247 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2013 01:55

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey thanks guys!

That seems pretty obvious now that you've told me how to do it.

I just reduced the size as described and almost got the effect I want.

I didn't see that the extra blue screen helped, but I didn't really get to work with it enough yet.

So, this is still a work in progress.

One thing I did notice is that the 'edges' show up because the hand goes out of the frame with some of the movements and it does disclose the rectangular frame when it does that.

I kind of think that's the nature of the beast.

Thanks again guys, I'm still refining the technique.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tangle -

Glad you're getting on top of it. Short of reshooting your hand from further back, I guess you have to work with what you have.

My suggestion about masking won't help if the hand goes out of frame. You'd need to re-shoot to overcome that!

Cheers = Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, these things are starting to fall in place. It seems so simple in the mind in concept - quite different when one tries to put it in practice.

I thought about reshooting the hand, but it's difficult to determine the exact scale for the blue screen shoot.

And thanks much for the help!

Tangle