Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help with Formats To Burn Disk
JDR77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2013 10:31 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Been looking around this forum and other places and think I just need to ask the question.

Long story short, I am burning VHS Home Movies to Blu Ray. The movies have all been uploaded to my computer and edited. Files are all .MP4 files. I am using Blu Ray disks mainly because of storage capacity reasons as these videos are very long and I wanted to put as many on one disk as possible. I have a 50GB disk ready to burn.

Questions:

1. Which video encoding format is my best route to use? I would rather use H.264 since it shrinks the gigabyte output which allows me to add more video to one disk, but I am not sure if most Blu Ray players will read that format or if I have to go the MPEG-2 route.

2. I am selecting HD1920 x 1080/60i since these will be seen on mostly larger flat screens for the foreseeable future.

3. I would like to use DTS audio with 5.1 channel but since these home videos were not shot that way I think that may not help the quality of the audio at all.

Simply put, am I overkilling the settings in hopes to get as good of video and audio quality as possible? Is it even possible knowing that these are older videos that were shot with VHS type of cameras years ago?

I need some education on how this works and then I should be set to go ahead and start burning these disks.

Appreciate any help!

John
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Been looking around this forum and other places and think I just need to ask the question.

Long story short, I am burning VHS Home Movies to Blu Ray. The movies have all been uploaded to my computer and edited. Files are all .MP4 files. I am using Blu Ray disks mainly because of storage capacity reasons as these videos are very long and I wanted to put as many on one disk as possible. I have a 50GB disk ready to burn.

Questions:

1. Which video encoding format is my best route to use? I would rather use H.264 since it shrinks the gigabyte output which allows me to add more video to one disk, but I am not sure if most Blu Ray players will read that format or if I have to go the MPEG-2 route.

2. I am selecting HD1920 x 1080/60i since these will be seen on mostly larger flat screens for the foreseeable future.

3. I would like to use DTS audio with 5.1 channel but since these home videos were not shot that way I think that may not help the quality of the audio at all.

Simply put, am I overkilling the settings in hopes to get as good of video and audio quality as possible? Is it even possible knowing that these are older videos that were shot with VHS type of cameras years ago?

I need some education on how this works and then I should be set to go ahead and start burning these disks.

Appreciate any help!

John

There is a standard for BluRay video Disks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Software_standards

The input video simply must be of a good quality, HD prefered, and bit rate.
One of the BluRay standards is Standard Definition.

The file format does not matter much. The Create Disk module will render the input video to the requirements for creating a BluRay Video Disk.

On Question 3. If your original sound is not 5.1 sound, do not burn 5.1 sound on the BluRay disk. It will give problems. You should stick to 2 channel sound.

On the Overkill idea...Don't.
Keep your video straight forward no fancy stuff.

VHS tape is only Standard Definition and no amount of enhancement is going to help, probably make it worse.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 04. 2013 20:11

Etan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2012 18:52 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I think it really depends on personal preference.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
JDR77 ,

I concur with Carl : keep it simple. Your shoice of BD-50 gB is good for capacity.

FYI :
Many BD players cannot read the dual layer dics.
.H264 is again not readable by older BD players.
Stereo audio is best in this case : loss of bass (low notes) will result if you go Dolby. Win 10, i7