Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
capacity
PeteS [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Maryland, USA Joined: Oct 18, 2011 14:17 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Why is it that I can record 4 hours of video on my DVR on a single disk, but when I go to Cyberlink and edit some material out I can't fit it on one disk even with Smart Fit? What does Smart Fit do anyway? Thanks
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Very simplified : Your DVR is using a highly compressed format so you can get all those hours on the disc. The program uses mpg2 format which is less compressed but will play on any DVD player. What smart fit does is reduce the bit rate of the mpg2 TOto fit on a disc but it can only go so far and still have something you can see.

If you want to save $$ on buying blank DVD, look for a program that will do DivX or XVid format. I think you can get more than 4 hours on a DVD.

Read this about DivX :http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=DivX

More on the company's site: http://www.divx.com/?src=logo_from_/movies/index.php

The question is - do you want to put all your eggs in one basket. A tiny scratch of a disc containing many hours of video will destroy the ability to play the entire disc. If you get a scratch on a disc that contains only one hour of Video (at best quality on a single layer disc) or two hours on a double layer disc, then that is all you lose !

Do you have a DVD player that will play DIvX od XVid? You can always out the video at best quality using PD and then use a "free" converter to put several of the files on a DiVX disc.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 27. 2013 17:18

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why is it that I can record 4 hours of video on my DVR on a single disk, but when I go to Cyberlink and edit some material out I can't fit it on one disk even with Smart Fit? What does Smart Fit do anyway? Thanks

You say DVR, a DVR is a Digital Video Recorder, usually a hard disk. Many DVRs are very large hard drives.

You would have to know what is the size of the 4 hour File recorded on your DVR.

A DVD is a Standard Definition recording media. The maximum capacity of a Double layer DVD is 8.5 GB and holds about 2 hours of HQ video (HQ= about 8 Mbps).

You can fit 4 hours of video on a double layer DVD disk at a much lower bit rate to fit on a Double layer Disk.

I do not know if Powerdirector can do that using Smart Fit.
PeteS [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Maryland, USA Joined: Oct 18, 2011 14:17 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, wonder why PD doesn't offer the VOB format since I think all players can handle that? In any case I'm
still having trouble getting my arms around all the formats, containers, etc. Sure is complicated. Even more confusing than trying to
select a toothpaste.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks, wonder why PD doesn't offer the VOB format since I think all players can handle that? In any case I'm
still having trouble getting my arms around all the formats, containers, etc. Sure is complicated. Even more confusing than trying to
select a toothpaste.

When you burn a mpg2 file to a video disc, the extension is changed to VOB. I don't know why, that is just the way it is. That's why you can copy the vob files from a DVD and play it other programs may need you to change the extension back ot mpg to play them or work with them.