Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produced DVD doesn't play on Computer
James131943 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2012 09:14 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD-11 Ultra....I produced many video's on DVD, MPEG-2. 16-9. DVDs will not open on computer. Have I missed an important step?

Jim
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Well you haven't given much information to go on, but I assume you haven't finalized the DVD. What program did you use to burn the DVD? and did the DVD get finalized?
Jim..producing to Mpeg-2 at whatever aspect ratio doesn't give you a DVD Video, you have to create disk and either burn to Folder or burn to DVD ..the latter goes through the DVD finalizing step needed for DVD players.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
James131943 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim.........thanks for quick reply. Yes....I did finalize by creating a DVD disk in MPEG-2. My original video is a DV HD tape from Sony video Cam.
I have both the MPEG file and PDS file. I thought the DVDs would play on CPU after completing. They play ok on T.V. What format is best for using on CPU? Will I need to do rendering all over again in 4:3 Standard Def to fit CPU format? thanks
Jim
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I generally produce in an MTS format for computer play, either H.264 avchd or the WMV at a high resolution. But you may have to experiment a little to compare the results, I generally buy Blu ray re-writable disk and rewritable DVd to experiment with for final project.
If you are going to publish to You Tube you can upload better (my opinion) direct from browser rather than Pd upload..when I setup You tube a upgraded my upload privelege by entering Cell phone # (you recieve a verification e-mail to activate) and you have more options.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
James131943 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jim......So correct me then.........I will re-render in 4:3 format and make a disk using format AVCH or WMV? The video's will be used on a laptop with a projector and project it on a screen.

Jim
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
James131943,

If you have a DVD that is playable on your DVD drive then you can simply playback the video from the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD on your PC. Windows media player is quite capable of playing back these video files - your PC should auto play the DVD if you have not altered the autoplay settings in Windows. If you prefer, you can also render (produce) your project MPEG2 (DVD HQ profile) and play it on your PC using any decent PC media player. Win 10, i7
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you just burned the Video file to a DVD disk, you did not make a DVD Video.

The reason you can not play that disk on the computer may be because your computer does not have the required Codec to play the video file.

A DVD video is made in the Create Disk Module and has a AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folder on the disk.
VIDEO_TS contains the video files. The files are in VOB format.

Or you can burn a Bluray disk if your videos are High definition.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James131943 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes Carl.....I'm aware of the .ext and it's a Windows media problem by not supporting VOB in Media Player 12 (windows . I just played my recent DVD on windows xp/vista and it opened automatically and played. So will I need to re-render and select what? A "AVC", WMV or MOV? Since Windows Media Player 12 does not support VOB.....it means hundreds of DVDs produced are not compatible. As I mentioned above I produced in Mpeg-2 and selected 1280x720/30p because I captured from HDV camcorder. Anyway....do I start over and reproduce previous video's into another .ext?

Thanks to you guys in this forum

Jim
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Yes Carl.....I'm aware of the .ext and it's a Windows media problem by not supporting VOB in Media Player 12 (windows . I just played my recent DVD on windows xp/vista and it opened automatically and played. So will I need to re-render and select what? A "AVC", WMV or MOV? Since Windows Media Player 12 does not support VOB.....it means hundreds of DVDs produced are not compatible. As I mentioned above I produced in Mpeg-2 and selected 1280x720/30p because I captured from HDV camcorder. Anyway....do I start over and reproduce previous video's into another .ext?

Thanks to you guys in this forum

Jim

Are you using Windows 8?

If so, Microsoft removed the DVD/BluRay playback from Windows 8.
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/window8-updates-center/enu/index.jsp

You need to get a DVD/Bluray Player software.

Cyberlink has PowerDVD that plays DVD and Bluray.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James131943 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Guys....thanks so much for responding to my question. You all made me think more on problem. Yes I'm running Win 8 Pro (upgrade from Vista) I can now get autoplay to open because I downloaded "Windows Media Center". Win 8 as you all know dumped DVD playback. After a min or two of making my settings in Win Media Center....all my DVDs (mpeg and VOB) now open. Cost for S/W $9. So going forward I just need to remind recipients ofmy produced DVDs to ensure they have Media Center with Win 8. I understand it is on newer Win 8 versions. But to ensure I cover all possibilities I think I will Produce the video in avi, mov, or WMV. Thanks again and if you have any other comments let me know.

Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 26. 2013 17:36