Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error Code 800401F9
Florian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2013 15:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
the same over here on Win 7 64 bit.
It startet right after I installed the newest patch for PowerDVD 11 yesterday...
DYONISII [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 09, 2011 09:58 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
i have winxp pro and since the patch mentioned is for win 7, then most likely, that isn't the guilty patch.
TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink updated PowerDVD V12 because the latest windows patches caused it to fail. It looks like the same issue with 11, but no update yet.
Commodore [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 11, 2009 23:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem on windows 8 pro x64. I tried system restore to when it worked before but that didn't work. I bit the bullet and bought the upgrade from powerdvd 11 to 12 and now it works... And I'm $39.99 poorer.
dto1984 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 27, 2011 22:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I had the same problem on windows 8 pro x64. I tried system restore to when it worked before but that didn't work. I bit the bullet and bought the upgrade from powerdvd 11 to 12 and now it works... And I'm $39.99 poorer.

Exactly what they want. Then, when version 13 is released, they can do it all again. Screw you, Cyberlink.
Albatross365 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2012 14:31 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I've been having problems with watching SD extras using PowerDVD.....it would affect my screen resolution.

Switched to TotalMediaTheatre and I've got no problems.

Cyberlink have lost a customer.

Managed to get TMT cheap thanks to a 30% off coupon I found via Google.
IdeasMan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 25, 2012 21:12 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I had the same problem on windows 8 pro x64. I tried system restore to when it worked before but that didn't work. I bit the bullet and bought the upgrade from powerdvd 11 to 12 and now it works... And I'm $39.99 poorer.

If it happened on Windows 8 Pro then it couldn't be the platform update that triggered this issue. I also have it and my OS for my HTPC is Windows 7 (Which the platform update was for, in preparation for IE10).

Sad thing is, I already bought PowerDVD 12, but I can't use it because it's got a known bitstreaming bug (HD audio bitstreamed to the amp causes PowerDVD to crash) and it's had it for over 3 months now. So sick of this rubbish.

The only reason I bought it was because PowerDVD 11 has a really annoying bug that causes stutter whenever what I assume is seamless branching occurs, which makes Total Recall (remake) unwatchable.
spockman07 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2011 17:01 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem myself and I do not use Windows Automatic updates. I do not use antivirus as well. Power DVD 11 worked a week ago and now it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas to this as well?
dto1984 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I am having the same problem myself and I do not use Windows Automatic updates. I do not use antivirus as well. Power DVD 11 worked a week ago and now it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas to this as well?

Sounds like it must be entirely Cyberlink related. Someone else on this board got the software to work as long as they weren't online, which pretty much confirms it.
tlh523 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2009 21:43 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
same problem here...black screen when in cinema mode. in classic mode i receive an error that it cannot access storage drive. press ok get region codde popup press ok get rgion code again press ok receive error in the dll code 800401F9. does anyone know of a fix?

specs

PowerDVD full Version Yes PDVD 11 version 11.03318.57
SR number DVD120803-02, TR number TR120925-027
PowerDVD Trial Verison? N0
Operating System (including x86 or x64 Bit Version) Window 7 64bit
Do you use administrator or restricted user account? Admin
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? No
Used VGA ATI HD 5450
Used VGA driver version ATI v 8.982.0.0 (Catayst Control Center 12.
Used Audio device ATI HD5240
Used Audio device driver version RealTek ATIHD Drivers HDMI R255 package
The Audio setting in PowerDVD and in OS (default devices) HDMI OS Setting configured wiht HD Audio Formats PDVD HMDI selected with HD audio Settings.
Do you use Amplifier (Model/connection) AVR Yamaha V1900
Used Display(s) Samsung LCD 55"
Which kind of display connection HDMI
Whcih Display refresh rate do you use while Playback 120
single monitor environment
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using MS Security Essentials.
Mike2013cyb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 22:17 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that purchasing PowerDVD 12 and then installing the latest patch resolves this issue, as explained here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15666&affid=2581_947_0_27413_0_ENU&utm_source=CLHP_SupportNews&utm_medium=CLHP_SupportNews_27413_powerdvd&utm_campaign=CL_Homepage

My questions are:

- Which Windows Update caused this issue? I had rebooted and watched Blu-ray discs since the last time Windows Updates were installed on my PC on 2/16/13. I watched a Blu-ray yesterday successfully, but today was unable to watch any Blu-ray in PowerDVD 11 Ultra with the latest patch (Vista x64 SP2), due to the subject error message. Did Microsoft force out a Windows Update behind-the-scenes, which may have been activated when I rebooted my PC yesterday?

- Are users of any PowerDVD version prior to v12 unable to watch Blu-rays now, without purchasing v12 and applying the latest patch? That seems a bit extreme. Like the previous user posted, I am now $39.95 poorer so that I can watch Blu-ray movies.
dto1984 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I can confirm that purchasing PowerDVD 12 and then installing the latest patch resolves this issue, as explained here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15666&affid=2581_947_0_27413_0_ENU&utm_source=CLHP_SupportNews&utm_medium=CLHP_SupportNews_27413_powerdvd&utm_campaign=CL_Homepage

My questions are:

- Which Windows Update caused this issue? I had rebooted and watched Blu-ray discs since the last time Windows Updates were installed on my PC on 2/16/13. I watched a Blu-ray yesterday successfully, but today was unable to watch any Blu-ray in PowerDVD 11 Ultra with the latest patch (Vista x64 SP2), due to the subject error message. Did Microsoft force out a Windows Update behind-the-scenes, which may have been activated when I rebooted my PC yesterday?

- Are users of any PowerDVD version prior to v12 unable to watch Blu-rays now, without purchasing v12 and applying the latest patch? That seems a bit extreme. Like the previous user posted, I am now $39.95 poorer so that I can watch Blu-ray movies.

There's still some doubt as to whether or not any Windows updates actually caused the problem. There are users on this board who have updates turned off and still have the issue. Additionally, the error has been reported on Vista, Win 7 and Win 8, which makes it even less likely that a single update is the culprit. The single common denominator in every case, in fact, is Power DVD 11 Ultra, suggesting that it's not a Microsoft issue at all, but a Cyberlink problem.
[Post New]
Clues suggest Windows Security Essentials update from last week - but that is not confirmed. Cyberlink may have bricked something at their end related to their network services and the software phoning home. We are a bit out in the cold at the moment.
Mike2013cyb [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have MS Security Essentials (MSE) installed. I had tried disabling Real-time Protection in MSE and then trying to watch a Blu-ray in PowerDVD 11 Ultra, but it still didn't work. I think I had read that someone else completely uninstalled MSE but they still couldn't watch Blu-rays. Conceivably MSE may have deleted a file or changed a setting that would have remained after MSE was disabled or removed. Their support article refers to the update specifically as a Windows Update.

As to why Cyberlink has only provided a patch to fix the issue for PowerDVD 12, it sounds as though previous PowerDVD versions have effectively reached End of Life for Blu-ray functionality. If Cyberlink would like to weigh in on this discussion, it would be much appreciated. Otherwise, it seems as though Cyberlink was having a rough quarter and decided to force people into buying upgrades. We should iterate that Blu-rays that worked before the recent system "glitch" would not work after it, so this is not just a matter of having to upgrade to stay current with emerging Blu-ray technologies. It was necessary to restore the functionality we already had as PowerDVD 11 Ultra customers...unfortunately by paying for a software upgrade. I hope this doesn't become Cyberlink's new revenue model.
[Post New]
I hear you. Based on prior support life, we should have another 6 months or more of critical patch support - but probably lowest priority. When support on 11 runs out, I will have to seriously consider what to do next.
Albatross365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know it's not MSE.

Someone on another forum I use has the error and he uses Eset Smart Security
tlh523 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2009 21:43 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
I had a similar problem when I was on Version 10 which is the only reason I am currently on Version 11. Now it appears that to get this resolved in a timely manner an forced upgrade to Version 12 may be in order....I think I see a pattern here....
Mike2013cyb [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cyberlink: If you are reading, here is your chance to clear the air. If it truly was a Windows Update which broke PowerDVD Ultra 11 and 12, which one was it? Shouldn't you give customers the opportunity to simply uninstall or avoid an update which they may not need and which will surely break their PowerDVD product (as you claim)? Perhaps an explanation would help avoid the growing perception that you use under-handed tactics to force people to buy new versions of your software. Thank you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 04. 2013 22:09

Squashed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2011 17:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem. "Cyberlink PowerDVD cannot access the storage device..." followed by Region Code selection then code 800401F9 error in dll. I cannot play blu-ray today. Up to last week it worked fine. Win 7 32 bit.

Is a solution on its way?
Dakkith [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 07:35 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Perhaps an explanation would help avoid the growing perception that you use under-handed tactics to force people to buy new versions of your software. Thank you.

The deafening silence from Cyberlink on the issue sure is suspicious. I haven't heard anything back from my support ticket either.
Albatross365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah.

Deathly silence since I responded to their request for screenshots.

Can't help but wonder how people are out there suffering in silence.