Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Which camcorder do you recommend?
Graham J [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2011 12:01 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I am in the process of purchasing a new camcorder and I would value any/all input from you guys. The models I am interested in are:

Canon G25
Panasonic X920
Sony CX740 (although these are like gold dust here in the UK)

I have used a Panasonic SD700 in the past. I have used a Canon camera and have used several Sony cameras but no camcorders.

I would like to video dog training sessions as I build websites for dog trainers. I also need good low-light performance as one of my hobbies is visiting old castles around the UK.

All input appreciated.
Graham
JDR77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2013 10:31 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought the Sony HDR-PJ710V a few weeks ago. Have not tried using its footage on PD11 yet, but just playing around with it and watching some videos through HDMI on my TV the picture quality is really nice. Sound is really nice as well. I have had lots of trouble with camcorders in the past when it came to darker shots and this one does a lot better but still lacks. Honestly, the type of footage I want is going to come from a professional high grade crazy expensive camera so I have been able to calm down my expectations a bit. Its pricey (around $1200), but does the trick. Those cameras you listed are nice. Just my opinion, the model I got is not going to please your castle shots at night but there are some out there that will but it is going to cost you some money. Dog training wise, it would be more than enough for what you would want.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Simple question. Have you gone to a store and held them? Does it "feel" right? Are the controls where you expect them to be?

Also check the recording format. Sony and Panasonic tend to use their own special tweaks to the video standard. Canon much less so.

I use an old Canon HV30 digital tape camera and it is great for everything that I need it for. I don't even know if they make taps camcorder anymore. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I've always been a Canon guy, and PowerDirector has no issues with the files.
The HFM series and the G10-20, are the successors of the HV, and my HFM40 is great in lo-lite, the G's have the same sensor.
I'm shopping around for a G-series now, I already have 1 in my signature (prematurely!). HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys, keep the replies rolling in. I think 'user reviews' are often better than pre-written ones.

SteveK: I haven't trialed the Canon and Panny yet as they are that new the stores where I live have not taken stock as yet. But, your input makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again
Graham
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have used one Sony and liked it, but I normally buy Canon and have liked everyone I ever had. Low light is an issue in my price range, but they do have better quality available. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why is it you prefer Canon Jaime please?

Many thanks
Graham
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
My HFM40 I bought for $350 as a refurb, I think you'll like it's lo-lite for castle interiors.
http://youtu.be/X6LmY4pEM1w
I'll never get an Oscar for this, nor make the best-dressed Red Carpet list. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry, see what you mean. Maybe the Canon G25 is the way to go and, its cheaper in the UK than the Sony equivalents

Graham
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Look for your choices on Youtube, where real people give opinions. One drawback of my camera is the narrow field of view, so some folks get a WA lens for it, I did not. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello again Barry,

Does your model have a viewfinder? Does it use tapes or SD card?

Many thanks
Graham
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
No viewfinder, the next model up M41 (last year, now the M51), does.
They record on SD or on-board flash.
PowerDirector works great with the files.
The G series has a viewfinder and eye-cup, too. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great stuff Barry, thanks for your help buddy.
Graham
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why is it you prefer Canon Jaime please?

Many thanks
Graham

Quality of video and compatibility with PD, but mostly because I find them easy to use. Controls are convenient and intuitive. Menus are not hard to understand. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have a JVC Hi def camcorder with LoLUx capability it is a JVC GZ-HM670 and am very happy with it, it has 32GB builtin Memory and takes SdHC cards also haven't had any problems with PD 11 or PD10 with it.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jamie, I'm all for ease-of-use so the Canons sound very good.

Jim, thanks for the heads-up on the JVC GZ-HM670, appreciated

Graham
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know, just purchased a Canon G25 I'm very excited

Thanks again to all
Graham
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Graham J here is a video I shot with a Canon G10 Saturday. At the great-grandson birthday party. I just use it in auto mode.

https://vimeo.com/60407880

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Graham J [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks very Michael, I will take a look now

Very much obliged
Graham