Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fun with background blur
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
I underestimated the cool things you can do with background blur. Basically it blurs the whole image, then you 'reveal' what you want to be clear in your image using the 'scrubber'. It changes the whole way the photo looks. Kind of like the 'miniaturization effect' that some cameras now have, but with better image control.

It works good in images where the foreground or background may be distracting... just blur them away.

These aren't perfect images as I did them fast for examples, but you could spend some time and create high quality ones.

Fun to do.
[Thumb - SnowScene.jpg]
 Filename
SnowScene.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Snow Scene
 Filesize
343 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
236 time(s)
[Thumb - SlaterBlur1.jpg]
 Filename
SlaterBlur1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Schnauzer
 Filesize
421 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
233 time(s)
Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
Another great pace-setting contribution, OnTheWeb!

To be honest, I hadn't even ventured into that part of the effects module till now. After tinkering for a while, I realised that even if the cleaner brush is set to 100% it takes a few swipes to restore the original colour/clarity.

It's certainly an easy tool to use, unless you try to do the hard edges I tried on the photographer below. It took me a while to work out I'd have been better off using a selection mask. The last picture was done using a selection mask & took only a fraction of the time.

For the right photo, when you don't need a hard edged effect, it's a great tool. The blur effect is much more accurate (I think) than decreasing clarity in the adjustment module.

PIX

[Thumb - Effects2.jpg]
 Filename
Effects2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
412 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
611 time(s)
[Thumb - Effects1.jpg]
 Filename
Effects1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
346 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
647 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2013 02:12

PIX YouTube channel
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Very cool, thanks for sharing! ~Tom~
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Love the samples, everyone, very cool. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT