Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PRODUCTION IMPROVEMENTS
Rosario56 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Italy Joined: Jan 23, 2012 04:15 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I wrote this post to know, from PD11 users, if there are in the software the claimed improvements to quality production compared with PD10 that I have. I'm particularly interested in the DVD production, I've read in the Cyberlink site of these improvements,
with a new rendering motor and sub pixel elaboration in interlacing. I'm not interest to special effect, I only want the best quality in producing DVDs from standard definition material (Vhs and SVHS). I would know if I can obtain better results with the upgrade from PD10 to PD11.
Wait for Your thoughts.

Rosario
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Trial version is FREE!!!!!!!

Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Is there anything wrong with your current version of PD?
Also, the trial version of PD11 is "crippled" in functions, but for MPEG2(sd) and DVD purposes, I think you'll get a good idea if you think it is a better performer. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]

I often wonder why people here repeat an answer! is it ego or the desire to get another 1 on the message count!

Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

I often wonder why people here repeat an answer! is it ego or the desire to get another 1 on the message count!

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
Rosario, I'm not sure about the differences between PD 10 and 11 but I can speak to the differences in between PD 9 and 11. I'm not going to say all the bugs are worked out of PD11, because they are not. The playback on large projects is skippy during editing, to say the least...that's my biggest beef...but once finished, then producing the projects have been a breeze, much faster then in PD9 without a doubt. And the quality of completed burned discs have been very nice on playback.

DJ, I think Barry was simply clarifying your rather short answer. I do think it helpful for Rosario to know that some of the features of the free download are "crippled" but that it might work to know if it's better for him in the two specified areas if that's where he's having trouble in PD10.

(chalk up another one on the message count for me too) ;

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 17. 2013 04:14

Dustie
I'm still working on it....
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Barry

I'm asking about production quality of PD11 because Cyberlink in their site says that's improved, not because I "think" that!

Hi nightlow

thank You for Your contribute. I'm only interested in the production quality of DVDs (I've find that PD10 increases more contrast in the final dvd for example and a big pixellation in the uniform color areas...) I want to know if the same project produced with pd 11 gives better results in the final image quality than producing it in PD10. I ask it to anyone that has upgraded or tested the two versions. With PD10 I'm having also problems with Smart sound tracks (I've a post open in the PD10 forum)
With PD9 I had many problems so that I finded better PD8....

Cheers Rosario
[Post New]
Rosario,

All I can go by is my latest DVD. It was my first lengthy project and I upgraded to 11 from 9 before I even attempted it. It's turned out beautifully with no pixellation at all.. The sound is great also, but I've not used more then normal sound tracks.

But I am an amateur, just learning the ins and outs of PD myself. I am quite happy with my 35 minute nature DVD though, and those I've had preview it gave it two thumbs up. I just know I could have never done it without PD 11. But then again...I never had 10. Dustie
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I think PD 11 can co-exist with PD10 on the same machine, somebody PLEASE correct that if I'm wrong, quickly.
So, testing the FREE trial (as previously suggested) and comparing results should be fairly easy.
As for Smartsound issues, a "workaround" might be to go to Smartsound and download their free basic SonicFirePro program which is a really neat item to have in your arsenal.
http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/expresstrack.html
A noteworthy point is if you open a project in PD11, trial or not, it will not open again in 10 or previous versions. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
I have PD9 and PD11 on the same machine so I'm sure you can do the same with PD 10 and PD11. You just can't have both running at the same time. Dustie
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all,
I've apreciated Your responses, but I asked to a forum of senior users of the Cyberlink software. I'm an home-user, I'm just attempting to convert in the digital format my old VHS-SVHS videos.....and I'm trying to do it in the best possible quality ...without to turn back and re-do all a new time....
I have on my shoulders hours, years (and money!!!!) spent to have the best capturing quality (I purchased an Avermedia c727 card that with PD10 can't be used in AVI capture format-Pal- because the frame rate was "random" ...I had no responses from Cyberlink support).
Now I've built a strong computer to support every need of power in editing (I suppose), I've decided to buy a Canopus ADVC300 to capture my footages. In all this time I've tryed PD4 (it never functioned on my old computer), than PD5 that was usable but with a very low quality in MPEG2, than the 7, 8 9 and the 10 version...always searching for the best result possible.. and I'm almost tempted to use a much less demanding dvd recorder to do it!! I would need a simple software, without special effects, but with great quality in all his functions...So before I end my work I want to know if the PD11 quality improvements are true, and non a commercial appeal..
I'm trying to have a clean installation of the softwares in my PC, is this the reason because I don't Install trial version, and I ask to competent users my question.

Rosario

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 17. 2013 10:48

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Another short answer. Take a look at Color Director here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/colordirector/specs_en_US.html

It may be what you need. There is a trial. It integrates in PD 11. I'll check if it does so in PD 10 but it can also be used as a stand alone.

Edit: Color Director does not integrate into PD 10.

Yes, you can have 10 and 11 working properly on your computer.

That's a longer answer than I planned !

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 17. 2013 11:33

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
Rosario,

I've used the ADVC300 for years for VHS,SVHS and 8mm tapes (use a really good play deck, i have JVC with time base corrector). I've gotten pretty good results, and the new stabilizer and enhancement features of PD11 are a definite improvement over PD9 and PD10.

Only thing i use virtualdub plugins for these days is time-date stamp removal, unbelievable how many time I forgot to turn that off while filming. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
hi Steve,

I don't need color correction, my VHS are quite good in color....

Hi Rocket,
Thank You for Your informations... you are going in the direction that I need!! I've a good experience in analogic footage capture, I use like source a Panasonic HS950 machine.
Just this evening I've completed one of my projects with a DVD production...the result was not bad, but I want to know if buying PD11 I can obtain better results!!
I used Virtual Dub many times in the past, expecially when I tryed Neat Video (one of the best noise reduction software) trial plugin. PD, in my opinion should have plugins like Neat Video rather than many effects that often are less usable. Reducing noise (video noise) is one of the most important filters that an editing software should have, specially when working with old analogic formats, a good noise reduction is very, very important, unfortunately PD don't has the possibility to have a Neat Video plugin (like Premiere, P. Elements, Vegas, Edius etc.) PD has a denoise filter that is better than nothing (like the previous versions till the 7) but it is not adjustable like Neat Video does.

Wait for other advices.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2013 15:42

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
with the trial version of pd11, try the enhance (over sampling), then apply the noise reduction. it smooths out with out a lot of detail loss. Lots of ways to skin a cat. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
[Post New]
Quote: hi Steve,

I don't need color correction, my VHS are quite good in color....

Hi Rocket,
Thank You for Your informations... you are going in the direction that I need!! I've a good experience in analogic footage capture, I use like source a Panasonic HS950 machine.
Just this evening I've completed one of my projects with a DVD production...the result was not bad, but I want to know if buying PD11 I can obtain better results!!
I used Virtual Dub many times in the past, expecially when I tryed Neat Video (one of the best noise reduction software) trial plugin. PD, in my opinion should have plugins like Neat Video rather than many effects that often are less usable. Reducing noise (video noise) is one of the most important filters that an editing software should have, specially when working with old analogic formats, a good noise reduction is very, very important, unfortunately PD don't has the possibility to have a Neat Video plugin (like Premiere, P. Elements, Vegas, Edius etc.) PD has a denoise filter that is better than nothing (like the previous versions till the 7) but it is not adjustable like Neat Video does.

Wait for other advices.

Noise redution PD works well, do not know if it's better, I used TMPGEnc Plus 2-59 I used in the past to convert AVI files to DVD was very good. but today rarely use AVI, MPEG2 but is complicated.
Example: A good video that can get better, however bad a video, the trend is getting worse, gets really imbaçado, noise reduction, or evidence of defects using video melhormantos.
For me PD11 but is comfortable to work with, but still needs to improve. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate