Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
TV Format Conflict - with compatible framerates?
Jonas Abraham [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2013 08:10 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, first time posting here. Hope I made it to the right forum. I've sendt a ticket to the support but I'm curious as to how frequent this issue may be with other users.

I've encountered a strange error. When I drag this videoclip over to the editing board I get the following message:

'TV Format Conflict - The framerate of the file you imported (29,97FPS) does not match with current project framerate setting (29,97FPS), so the quality may be degraded' ...and so on

And funny enough the quality is severely degraded. I've tried to change the project framerate but nothing changed. The aspect ratio is also the same. What could be the problem?

Here is the properties of the video I imported:

FILE:
Filetype: AVI
File size: 358,46MB

VIDEO:
Type: H.264 AVC
Original duration: 00;14;17;12
Bitrate: 3,27 Mbps
Resolution: 1920x1080
Framerate: 29.97FPS
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame type: Progressive
[Post New]
Normally PD of the message, just confirm it changes automatically if you do not must manually, right-clicks on the clip in the timeline, see picture.
There may be cases where image degradation if convert PAL to NTSC.

[Thumb - formatTV.jpg]
 Filename
formatTV.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1237 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2013 06:17

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
rickycht [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 03, 2012 07:33 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
VIDEO:
Type: H.264 AVC

Have you tried with AVI, Xvid yet?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jonas -

That is a strange problem! If the video you're importing is NTSC (29.97fps) & your project preference is set to NTSC, there should be no alert. Is PD misreading it?

Did you read the video properties from PD? Windows? or using MediaInfo?

I'd say just turn off the TV Format alert in preferences... but you say there is a problem with quality being degraded on import???

Could you please check & confirm the imported video properties using MediaInfo? http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Amy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 09, 2013 20:00 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem as OP.

My video is a screen recording. Even if I disable the confirmation, the quality still became severely degraded
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
I also received the same message yesterday.

I had some screen capture footage that I had the screen capture program render to a WMV at 29.97 fps clip.
Imported to PD11 and upon dragging to the timelines, I got the. . . The 29.97 fps video does not match your preferred setting of 29.97 fps.
Huh?

I then opened this clip in MediaInfo, which reported it as being WMV @ 29.97fps.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Ed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 05, 2013 13:39 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Ha! It's happening to me too! Yes, I noticed some quality loss too. Yes, it does seem strange. I presume (I'm new here) a patch will be along in time.

Everywhere I go today, users do their own QA and pay for the privilege. I am thankful we don't have to code it too. I would be screwed. :
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ed ,
Just uncheck the TV conflict confirmation in Preferences and you wont have to worry about it again.

Consumer level cameras can have a variable frame rate, I've seen supossedly NTSC video have frame rates fluctuating between 30.04 and 29.94fps. I'm not surprised to see a conformation warning being triggered, it isn't a major hassle, just a notification. The segmentation of an electronic data file into frame rates is significantly different from when frame rates related to strips of celluloid. In the case of a video editing software, it is for presentation purposes and ease of editing. I'm of the opinion that most electronic media/video data files are segemented by their timecode length. The track display of the frame rate is not as important to an editor as one might think. It is the chosen output file and frame rate selected which is of greater significants.

If a sample file is provided, state the source of the file (camera make and model), the information could be checked and assessed more accurately by members.

OK, the above is just my opinion

Dafydd
Ed [Avatar]
[Post New]
I might have thought the very slight blurring of the imported file was my imagination if I hadn't read 3 or 4 other people here having a similar experience. Although I personally doubt very much that turning off a notification will prevent this, I'll keep it in mind.

In this case the imported file was not generated by a camera. It was generated by CrazyTalk, using a still image as a basis. PD is to be used as an assembler.

What's interesting is that PD is contradicting itself. The error message is in conflict with the configuration settings. Consumer cameras didn't cause that. Agree?

As for mathematical variations in the source material, I would guess that there is an industry standard tolerance range within which software must operate in order to be viable. Is this not so?
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
When you guys say "severely downgraded" are you viewing the imported clip you added to the timeline in the Preview window or did you produce it in a video and then see the degradation?

If you are viewing it in the Preview window then change the settings to a higher preview rate.
Look below the window and you will see a little camera icon. Besides that there is a little window icon.
Click on window icon and select a higher Preview Quality such as High or HD etc. (Note it may be choppy depending on how fast your CPU is.)

Also you can set your preferences TV Format to 30fps to match the clip rates you are working with.

I just ignore the warning since I have mine set to 60fps NTSC and when adding 29.97fps clips it pops up.
I do not find any discernible degradation when setting my Preview Quality to high / HD and when doing a final Produce video.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Ed [Avatar]
[Post New]
My evaluation of this product is concluded. Anyone who can stand black text on a charcoal background (what's up with that?) has a dozen similar programs to choose from, so I don't labor over evaluations. I will say that PD uninstalls cleanly.