Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't play movie stored on my hard drive
Craig Williams [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2008 21:29 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have created movies on my hard drive and I am trying to get PowerDVD to play them but it doesn't let me browse to the files. I am running version 7.0.2226-Dell. Will this version not allow anything but actual DVD disks to play? Also in full screen mode it still shows the play controls. Can you hide them also.
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Feb 17, 2008 00:07 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
If it's just a single file (like an AVI file) select "Open Media Files" not "Open Movie File..."

Open Movie File is for a DVD copied to the hard drive (open the VIDEO_TS folder). TAS
Craig Williams [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2008 21:29 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tom for your response but I don't have an option to "Open Movies File" or Open Media Files". When the player comes up there are two icons on the top 1. Looks like a house 2. Is an Arrow. Clicking on the House gets me a menu for settings such as Audio and Video settings but nothing that lets me browse to a file or folder. Now this is a Dell version so maybe it is different than the standard Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.
Tom [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a button to select source (if you have more then one DVD drive, or to select from hard drive). It's the same all the way back to PowerDVD 4 on my old computer. I think it's supposed to be an envelope...

You could try the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-O (for Open I guess).
TAS
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tom,

I think Craig's problem might be similar to mine, I also have a Dell computer with Power Cinema installed as part of Dell's MediaDirect, but you cannot actually access the program, all the Dell crap comes up instead, but you are right, there should be a method to access files other than DVD.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Tom [Avatar]
[Post New]
The Dells we have at work (Optiplex) came with a normal OEM version, not some shovel-ware bundle

Could still try control-O but other then that I don't know what else to try.
TAS
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tom,

Craig is correct, you cannot access movie files stored on the computer, just tried with Power Cinema, no way of doing it.

Craig, in the options given on the Dell splash screen, does it give you an option to view videos, you may be able to access your movies this way, as it will open your browser and give you access to your folders and files.

If that does not work, join SeeMyWorldOnVideo then go to the video editors extras page and download VLC Media Player, it's free

Regards

Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2007 15:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Join?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2008 08:31

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep join SMWOV it's free, where you can find all the tested free programs that actually work with PD6 all grouped together, makes it so much easier to find the right program.

Plus obtain the benifit of training videos and get ideas on how to make better videos using PD6 and see other video editors creations.

PDtoots
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2007 15:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah... the way you worded it, one would have to join your site to get VLC.

Uhm, no thanks friend!
(No offense) There is nothing on your site that I would ever want or need... Sorry!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2008 08:31

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi David,
Glad you're such an expert, can we see you giving advice on the forum in future, you obviously have plenty to say, and you must know everything there is to know about video editing and your resolution of problems would be greatly appreciated by those video editors not as knowledgeable as you.

But for everyone else SMWOV is a great place to learn how to improve your editing skills.

Oh, by the way David, it's not my site, I am just a member like lots of other people.

Look forward to your future contributions to the forum, perhaps with some positive feedback instead of attacking like all 6 of your posts todate

Robert

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2008 08:38

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit

PDtoots
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I run SeeMyWorldOnVideo.com with a "little" help from my friends.

SeeMyWorldOnVideo is set to display 16:9 video made by CyberLink PowerDirector video editors. We welcome all video editors who video, edit and display their own finished presentations.

I'm a moderator on this forum. I tend to concentrate on helping PowerDirector video editors.

Thanks

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2008 10:20

HUGH [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Jan 26, 2010 23:41 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd - just signed up for SMWOV. I'm trying to track down some documentation or video training for PowerDVD10, do you happen to know of anything? Just bought it yesterday and not having stellar results. I'll provide you guys with my technical info, but I'd like to muck about a bit before I do, to see if I can get it working.

Or is there some documentation in PowerDVD that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Hugh PowerDirector 8, PowerDVD10
Sony HDR-CX110 Full HD AVCHD
Panasonic DMC-Z3S camera (AVCHD lite - 720p)
Gateway, i3 cpu, ATI 5650 graphics, 4Gig ram, windows 7

And a Sony DV and a Cannon 8mm to boot.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hugh,
Here are two links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9uau8gKLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7heU3SBZ8

and:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CyberLinkChannel

I hope these help.