Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Any tips on how to reduce video noise?
cmorris976 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2012 02:07 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I get a lot of it in my videos... I use Powerdirector's built in de-noiser, which helps a lot, but I am new to making videos and there must be some ways to reduce the amount of noise in my videos before I even use that tool.

You guys have any tips on how to reduce video noise? Thank you for any insights!

Chris

P.S. Do some video formats deal with nopise better than others?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I get a lot of it in my videos... I use Powerdirector's built in de-noiser, which helps a lot, but I am new to making videos and there must be some ways to reduce the amount of noise in my videos before I even use that tool.

You guys have any tips on how to reduce video noise? Thank you for any insights!

Chris

P.S. Do some video formats deal with noise better than others?

More details on what you mean "Video Noise".

If you attach a short 5 to 10 second sample video, editors can examine and give better suggestions.

The best tip I can give on how to shoot quality video is good lighting.
Video shot in bad light or low light may be noisy.

Also cheap cameras do not do a good job.
I have a $30 Video camera that I bought at Walmart, it is always a noisy image. Even when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok here is a clip of the worst I have seen so far, but it is typical of what I get sometimes.
 Filename
VideoNoise.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
Example of my video noise problems.
 Filesize
13723 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
351 time(s)
cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
By the way, I am using a Sony cx190 camera for this.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chis

Without knowing what specs your computer is the wavy video noise could be caused by:

1. Out of date video drivers - go to manufacturers website and download the latest.

2. In Preferences > Hardware Acceleration > Uncheck Enable (name of your GPU) to speed up video effect preview/render also Uncheck Enable hardware decoding.

3. Your computer downloading a Windows Update or your Anti-virus software performing a scan - disable these or any other programs running in the background.

4. Try Producing your project as close to the original footage as possible - I think your camera has a similar file structure to mine - I use the H.264 AVC 1920x1080 profiles.

5. Do you have the full version and if so, have you Activated the HD component yet?

Let us know how you go and please post a dxdiag file as per start of Forum.

Happy editing

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 11. 2013 01:29

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Whoa Chris -

Something's seriously wrong there! Is it straight out of PD???

That clip looks like a still image with a title plonked on top. You've produced it to a Full HD WMV - nothing wrong with that! (MediaInfo attached).

Your camera records 1080/60i @ 24MBps. Is that the setting you used in recording?

Played back in media players & PD, it pixelates & the image breaks up badly. Oddly, when I took a screenshot in Media Player Classic it came out clean. Not so in PD.

As others have suggested, the more info you can give about camera settings & editing steps the better. Seriously, clips come out of your camera like that???

Cheers - Tony

[Thumb - Noise.png]
 Filename
Noise.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
405 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1048 time(s)
 Filename
Pixelated WMV.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
309 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2013 02:59

PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Jimbo223 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 25, 2012 02:59 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Can you hook up your camera to a TV and watch the footage to see if the noise originates there?

If the clips come out of your camera like, check the Sony website for any updates to the Camera's firmware or decoder.

Another suggestion would be to post a ticket on the Sony user forum.

Off the bat (if this is the kind of footage from the camera before you drop it in PD) I'd say there was a codec issue on the camera or you need a faster SD card media to record on at that video setting.

Tell us if this is your camera:
http://store.sony.com/p/Full-HD-Handycam-Camcorder/en/p/HDRCX190/B#reviews
cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The clips come out of my camera looking great. It is just when I produce a movie through Powerdirector that it can become extremely pixellated like that.

Jimbo: My camera is the Sony CX190, not the CX190/B.

I am trying every format. The AVI works great for this movie but it is not very hi-res. MOV also looks great but it produces with no sound. I am trying to make a .m2ts movie out of the footage but PD keeps crashing halfway through a very long render.

Jimbo223 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 25, 2012 02:59 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Hi cmorris976,

Quote: The clips come out of my camera looking great. It is just when I produce a movie through Powerdirector that it can become extremely pixellated like that.

That's good to know.

If you are managing to render out to MOV without sound but it still looks good, have you tried changing the audio setting from AAC to LPCM?

In PRODUCE click MOV, then the [+] button below the Quicktime profile drop down.
Choose a new profile name (like "Quicktime with LPCM").
Click the Audio tab and change AAC to LPCM.

Re-render and post back.

Like CubbyHouseFilms said, switch off your Anti-Virus, Firewall and as many programs you have running in the background (unplug your PC from the internet if you have to keep it safe). These really can interfere.

If it still crashes, can you tell us:
1. which version of Windows you're using (32bit or 64bit)?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit
2. how long the video is (time wise).
3. how big the Sony file is that you're dropping into PD.
4. and what information PD reports about it (right click the video file in the library and choose Properties, post back with Video and Audio).

Just trying to help.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Chris -

I'm a bit confused.

Quote: I get a lot of it (noise) in my videos... I use Powerdirector's built in de-noiser, which helps a lot...

then...

The clips come out of my camera looking great

If they look great, why are you using the Video de-noise function?

See what happens if you:
1. Insert a clip from you camera
2. Don't apply any effects or enhancements
3. Produce to AVC H.264 1920x1080 @ 24MBps (which is probably similar to what came off your camera)

Failing that, shoot a 5 second clip & attach it in the forum (straight off the camera) for others to test.

Cheers - Tony

PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ynotfish: I was using the de-noise function to try and decrease all the noise I was seeing in my produced videos, not to manage any noise I was seeing in my clips from the camera itself (I saw none).

cmorris976 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jimbo223: Your suggestion about the MOV audio fixed that issue! Thanks a ton. I will just try using MOV files as a workaround for now. So glad to be able to get my video out as I spent 30 or so hours on it.

Thanks to you all for your time, it was very helpful and taught me a few things.