Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trouble in creating proper size/quality video
Kent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 29, 2008 18:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
So, I was working on a video for about a week on Powerdirector. I put a moderate amount of effort into it, and felt pretty relieved when I was done.

However now I'm incredibly frustrated because when I produce the video in AVI (which is the file type I need) the quality will either be horrible, or the quality will be reasonable but the file size will be way too big.

I've been messing around with the various settings, but I simply cannot find one that is a good balance between quality and size.

My video file is only about 3 minutes long, but just to get reasonable quality in the settings I've used, the video will be over 300mb. To get under 100mb which is required for my purpose, the video will look just completely awful, entirely unwatchable, maybe 1/4th the quality of the typical youtube video.

What settings should I use to get the right balance, what settings should I use to get the best quality at under 100mb?

Any help will be appreciated.

Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Alabama Joined: Dec 31, 2007 11:49 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Does it have to be an avi file? Through Christ,
Chris
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
I am guessing you need to do this for Youtube.
Make your file avi or mpeg, at HQ settings.
300 mb for 3 minutes seems a bit large, but try this...
Go to SeeMyWorld and download one of the three very good and very free converters and convert your finished file to Flash (FLV). Very easy!
Watch one of the tutorials, after you do this you will see that Flv allows much smaller file size, but the video quality is great.
Upload sites love Flv. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
Kent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 29, 2008 18:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am guessing you need to do this for Youtube.
Make your file avi or mpeg, at HQ settings.
300 mb for 3 minutes seems a bit large, but try this...
Go to SeeMyWorld and download one of the three very good and very free converters and convert your finished file to Flash (FLV). Very easy!
Watch one of the tutorials, after you do this you will see that Flv allows much smaller file size, but the video quality is great.
Upload sites love Flv.

Um, I've visited that website, but I haven't found anything about converters. Care to give me a link to the part of that site that has the converters to download?
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
You may be required to be a member, but it's in the EXTRAS link at the bottom of the SMW page.
But, KoyoteSoft.com has one, you can find it on any REPUTABLE freeware site such as CNET.
The point being that FLV is the last step in all my productions.
One last item, Youtube has an Uploader program that may allow much larger files, up to 1G, but I am unclear on the details.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2008 09:20

Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!