Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Any tips for improving performance?
[Post New]
PowerDirector 10 (10.0.0.2231)
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core Duo @2.20 ghz
8GB of RAM

I'm having trouble with PowerDirector 10 being choppy and sluggish during the editing process. Even with the video quality set to standard, playback has a hard time matching up to the timeline. The finished videos I produce all look fine, but editing can be a struggle. I know that video processing eats up a system's resources (I usually close off all other programs), but even so it can be frustrating. Any tips on how to improve the editing performance of PowerDirector 10?
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
I have a low spec win7 64bit single core laptop (HP Presario) 4 gig which edits PD10 Just !!

OK it takes few hours to render but I sleep overnight ;

What I do is :
Disable network corrections (wifi & lan)
Stop antivirus and Firewall checking.

use Task manager to list processes for all users

Stop processes with a bat file using a number of dos commands within the file

taskkill /IM "notepad.exe"

taskill /IM "*note*" will stop any process with "note" in the process name.

I have a list of approx 16 killtasks in the bat file and it frees up quite a lot of CPU time and memory.

If you google Dos taskkill and bat files. it will give you info.

Just add services to the list that seem to be useless to the task in hand, if you stop something vital, the PC will fail in some way !

Remove the command from the file. You can google the service name and find out what it does, why and if its needed.

Good luck !

Rgds

Just to add that I view the editing in Normal mode not HQ mode.

edited to rename tasks / services/ processes to correct names

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2013 14:31

Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PowerDirector 10 (10.0.0.2231)
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core Duo @2.20 ghz
8GB of RAM

I'm having trouble with PowerDirector 10 being choppy and sluggish during the editing process. Even with the video quality set to standard, playback has a hard time matching up to the timeline. The finished videos I produce all look fine, but editing can be a struggle. I know that video processing eats up a system's resources (I usually close off all other programs), but even so it can be frustrating. Any tips on how to improve the editing performance of PowerDirector 10?

Have you done all the updates to the program?

A lot of times it is your video chip/card. You didn't post that information. Update the drivers for it. If you have done that recently, make sure that you are NOT using the NVidia driver 310.xx. If you have a AMD or built in chip, ignore the information on the nVidia but still update the drivers.

Set your anti-virus to NOT continuously scan everything that is written to your hard drive.

Use mscongig.exe/ start up to disable the programs that start at boot but you don't really need. If you are not sure, download "Soluto" (free) and it will help you in making the decision on what can be disabled so it doesn't start at boot.

Gte rid of unwanted programs using the free Revo Uninstaller (or similar) Keep your computer clean of any temp and tmp file (Use the free CCleaner but not the registry cleaner part of that), Defrag and optimize. Go here for some good tools.

http://download.cnet.com/best-windows-utilities-apps/?tag=rb_content;main .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Quote: PowerDirector 10 (10.0.0.2231)
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core Duo @2.20 ghz
8GB of RAM

beyond what has been said
One possibility that the (PD10) very slow, import videos, direct external drive for media room.
Solution: Copy the first videos to HD folder on the PC, and add in PD from this folder.
Another: use FullHD quality for preview during editing, I use (High Resolution Preview) AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
A couple of "OOps" in my reply above

Task Manager shows processes not services
Taskkill kills the process !

also

Run the bat file "Run as Administrator" (right click bat file for drop down menu and choose Run as Administrator).

Rgds Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

[Post New]
Thanks for the advice. I really don't like messing with bat files and msdos stuff; I'm not that geeky! I already use CCleaner to cut down on tasks/startup processes.

I think perhaps the most obvious thing is my video card. My Dell is a few years old - I upgraded the hard drive, installed new RAM, Windows 7, and a new sound card, but the video card is whatever was standard for Dells 6 years ago. So probably I should get a new video card and see if that improves performance with PowerDirector.
RipGroove [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2013 05:40 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Download and install a resoucre monitor gadget for the Windows 7 desktop. I've got 'All CPU Meter V4.5' by 'Addgadgets.com'. If you watch it while editing you'll see where your PC is struggling. Mine processor for example (3.6gHz Quad Core AMD) does load up quite high when rendering etc. I can also see that my RAM (only 4GB) only seems to get to about 80%.

Going by comparing your processor to mine and how my processor loads up while exporting etc i'd guess that its your processor slowing you down. Other than that as you mention your graphics card could also do with upgrading.

Cheaper easier option would be to stick a new graphics card in and see if that helps.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 15. 2013 05:10