Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
When to Produce
[Post New]
I'm putting together my first extended movie. It's going to be between 30 - 40 minutes, which I hope will fit on a dual track DVD when I'm finished. This section I've finished is made up of about 10 smaller clips. My my question is, can I go ahead and render this section of video, so I'll have a less cluttered space in which to make the next section of video? Dustie
I'm still working on it....
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You can. If you are adding it back to the time line, I would save the project first and then make sure the produce video will trigger SVRT when producing again. I always produce the clips in sections that will become my chapters and don't add them back until I am ready to create the DVD. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I agree with Jaimie-esque produce each as separate videos and save individually ( you can preview each to check for errors or additions etc). when you are finished and all is good then start new project and go straight to 'Create disc' and modify/use a template or create your own, then on the 'content" menu add your previously done videos you can 'right click' each to rename as you prefer. when creating the 'disc menu' you have to save the template with new name.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Great! However, after I save it then to to Produce, SVRT is greyed out and not an option.

What format should I save it in then? Dustie
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
A 30 to 40 minute video will firt on a standard single layer DVD. Ignore file size for video DVD. The only way it wouldn't fit at best question is of you are making an AVCHD high definition disc -- oops, it will also fit on that at the best quality ! .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
I just produced the first 12 minutes, mpeg2, high def 1920 x 60i and it's 2.16 GB. So for the full video I'm looking at about 7 GB?

I just watched the produced video and am quite pleased with it. Sure looks better then the watching it rhough the preview window of PD.
Dustie
[Post New]
Any DVD's preferred for video over any others?
Dustie
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
For DVD use MPEG 2 HQ. You used a high definition format and create disc will have to re-encode the video, which adds time. I have not used MPEG 2 for a few months. I do know that in PD 10, for some reason, after an update SVRT no longer worked, even on files produced by PD. That may still be the case. You can use the HD profile. Just remember that the finished disc will be standard definition and lower quality. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
mervyn cadman [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Essex UK Joined: Jul 16, 2011 02:53 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all
Nightowl I burn my two hour long movies to a 8.5gb DL disc and they fit and play just right - I do use the setting MPEG 2 HQ.
A good tip though is don't use anything else apart from Verbatium DL 8.5 disc and these have to be burnt at 8 speed
http://www.totalblankmedia.com/verbatim-dvdr-85gb-double-layer-printable-8x-25-spindle-p-1626.html

Mervyn

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2013 11:23

[Post New]
Thanks all. It looks like the length of my video is going to be around 40 minutes or so, so a single layer disc should be just fine. I like the look of the verbatim, which seems to be the most recommended so I'm probably going to go that way. For personal use I picked up a 10 pack of Sony discs at Walmart Yesterday. Having never burned a disc from PD wanted to play around with them, burning to them, creating labels, that sort of thing. If I mess up, those copies go to family members. LOL!

I spent the better part of last year out taking wildlife video and am putting together a compilation of them into a movie set to birdsong and background music. Thanks to PD 11 it's coming together much quicker then I expected it would! Dustie
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ... make sure the produce video will trigger SVRT when producing again ...

Does SVRT only reduce the time to Produce or is there an improvement in final quality? CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
[Post New]
I don't know about quality, but SVRT definitely reduces time. If you make any changes to your video though, brightening, contrast, speed,etc....then SVRT isn't available, Dustie
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I don't know about quality, but SVRT definitely reduces time. If you make any changes to your video though, brightening, contrast, speed,etc....then SVRT isn't available,

Thanks Dustie CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
nightowl. Verbatim and Sony are usually good discs. The "best" if you want to order them, in my opinion are JVC Toiyo Yuden. They are available on line only and costs a few cents more.

Never put a paper label on ANY DVD. If not properly applied or if they somehow get lose or wrinkle in storage, they will throw off the balance and you may end up with little pieces of plastic flying around your optical drive (or worse). For my money, use the ink jet printable DVD. There are several printers on the market that will do this and the appearance of the DVD after printing are fantastic!. The the "best" (above) makes a water shield that look even better.

The issue today is not necessarily the brand but the country of origin. Many brands are contracted out to the lowest bidder. Some of those bidders cut corners. Verbatim is such a brand. It used to be thta they were unquestionably good but now, you take a chance. Unfortunately you can not find out where the discs were manufactured until after you buy and take them home.

Here is some interesting reading: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm I don't know how old that article is so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Also nightowl: I fyou are going to make a lot of copies of the production, make sure that you burn and folder set and then use a different program to burn those folder sets to as many disc as you want. I don't use it but ISO burn is supposed to be a pretty good freebee.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 11. 2013 08:36

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
[Post New]
Wow Stevek, great info, thanks!

I'm not sure about burn and folder set? Is that an option in PD? Dustie
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bend, Oregon USA Joined: Apr 25, 2010 03:27 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
PD 11 Ultra

I am new to the forum and just learning the ins and outs of PD 11 even though I have a one hour and 40 min. video. It is of a WW II veteran discussing his experiences during the War. I have no chapters or menus and just did a chronology with title slides and entered in research with photos and several short videos. From reading the other posts it looks like I made a big mistake. I am under a tight timeline as this fellow is 92 and I would like to get the editing finished as soon as possible for obvious reasons (I already gave him the raw footage). I intend on rendering in MPEG-2 HQ format. How do I determine the maximum time will fit on a dual layer DVD? I am a bit confused regarding time versus size in determining this...as I still need to add music to the time line. How do I determine the actual file size of the project?

Also knowing that I have already done 95 percent of the editing what would you suggest I do at this point to get this finished. Should I break this down into chapters and resave individually. The reason I didn't do this in the first place as I was cutting and pasting information from many different places full length of the video and didn't want to close and open the project. Can you have several different projects open at the same time for cutting and pasting purposes? I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. I will not make the same mistake next time. Thank you.

Guido 5052
stevek
[Post New]
A video DL disc will take just under 2 hours of project time at the quality of 720 by 480 (old style TV/DVD) For video DVD, pretty much ignore size of the project. There are a lot of factors that go into taking the "size" down to the 2 hours. Your 1Hr 40 minute project should fit nicely.

There is NO need to restart this project with individual smaller sections especially since you are under a time constraint. Music doesn't add that much. If you finish the project and use the folder set, many programs will reduce the quality of the project slightly to make it fit. I don't think you have any worries about your project plus the music.

Since you live in the US, have you contacted the DAR about this individual? They have a project to interview vets and to eventually put the interviews in the Library of Congress. I know three vets the same age as your friend and they enjoyed and appreciated the experience.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2013 08:39

RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Guido S 5052,

Welcome to the forums-

It's always best to start a new thread topic. This will prevent multiple problems by various users confusing the thread.

So go ahead click "New Topic" lower left of main page and copy paste the information you just typed here so others can see it and help out.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Guido S 5052 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bend, Oregon USA Joined: Apr 25, 2010 03:27 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Steve K and Rob AC for your very useful information. I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such a timely manner. It has been of a lot of help.

Also I am aware of the project for the Vets and will share the information with them when completed.

I must apologize for the error in posting this question and will follow your instructions and repost in the appropriate section.

Respectfully,

Guido Guido 5052