Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 7 still cant play AVI
Dude [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2006 00:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I thought Cyberlink would make a patch by now, guess not. WinDVD 7 plays them perfectly but PowerDVD crashes and burns. I dont understand why PowerDVD suddenly went to crap. They were once the best
yigit [Avatar]
Newbie Location: england Joined: Sep 30, 2006 22:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
thank you, i got smilar problem, installed different avi engine. you can try. black world white dreams
MiDvd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2006 23:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
CYBERLINK Power DVDxp is my Fav. DVD-player..it has never refused a FILE..I have one PATCH for the CD-install..I recieved this Software Program when I purchased a SONY DVD-drive Burner for DL..I load the CD into the PC-drive TRAY..and then COPY the FLE to a FOLDER on my PC..I Click the SET-UP ICON from INSIDE the POWER-DVD FOLDER..
It is advised in some Software CD's to INSTALL from MY DOCUMENTS..don't LOAD the Software from the CD-drive..
COPY the FOLDER to a MY DOCUMENTS Location..OPEN from there..
I now perform most Installs that way.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2006 11:15

Take-TWO/
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
What avi file are you trying to play?

DV avi, DivX or XVid? I've run a test on all these and each play without a problem.

Please go to:
Start/All Programs/CyberLink PowerDVD/System Diagnostic

Click on Diagnostic

If you have a Fail response then you'll need to go to your System Display and alter the bit rate of your display (lower it).

PowerDVD 7 Deluxe will display avi files.

Dafydd
Jones [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2006 16:30 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

DV avi, DivX or XVid? I've run a test on all these and each play without a problem.

Please go to:

Click on Diagnostic

If you have a Fail response then you'll need to go to your System Display and alter the bit rate of your display (lower it).

Dafydd

Hi

unfortunately i did that - lowered to 16bits/pixel, from 32, and it still didn't work. My monitor won't do 24bpp, so I couldn't try that option.

If it is a codec problem, it isn't reported by GSpot, which says I have 5 compatible video & 3 compatible audio codecs installed, for the files |I'm trying to play....

PowerDvd 6 plays the files fine, install PowerDvd7 and, for me, they can't be played.

The same files do work with a standalone DVD player, which tends to suggest it isn't an encoding problem???

Thanks for the replies, though Gaz
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Unistall the divx/xvid codec and install new version for checking this problem.
I tested PowerDVD, it can play divx/xvid video file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 11. 2006 23:12

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Please go to:
Click on Diagnostic
Dafydd

Hi
unfortunately i did that - lowered to 16bits/pixel, from 32, and it still didn't work. My monitor won't do 24bpp, so I couldn't try that option.
If it is a codec problem, it isn't reported by GSpot, which says I have 5 compatible video & 3 compatible audio codecs installed, for the files |I'm trying to play....
PowerDvd 6 plays the files fine, install PowerDvd7 and, for me, they can't be played.
The same files do work with a standalone DVD player, which tends to suggest it isn't an encoding problem???
Thanks for the replies, though

Hi,

What is the source of your avi file?
I will pass the info onto CyberLink, but need you to try what Daisuke has suggested first...OK It is a valid point.

Dafydd

Jones [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Please go to:
Click on Diagnostic
Dafydd

Hi
Thanks for the replies, though

Hi,

What is the source of your avi file?
I will pass the info onto CyberLink, but need you to try what Daisuke has suggested first...OK It is a valid point.

Dafydd

thanks for your reply, I did try removing codecs, as suggested by Daisuke, but still no joy.

the source is a pioneer107D writer, badged Medion, with dvd +r disks

- the solution to this 'problem' is to revert to PVD6, currently, for me, but thanks for your interest Gaz
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jones,

Did you try to play these avi files from your hard drive? Try to.

Have you contacted Tech Support, please do so? Give all necessary information to them.

I am unable to repeat your recurring problem with playing an avi file. I have no problems playing avi files in PowerDVD 7.

Dafydd

Jones [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Jones,

Did you try to play these avi files from your hard drive? Try to.

Have you contacted Tech Support, please do so? Give all necessary information to them.

I am unable to repeat your recurring problem with playing an avi file. I have no problems playing avi files in PowerDVD 7.

Dafydd

like i said, PowerDVD6 is the solution, for me, I'm grateful for your input, though Gaz
Jones [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm happy to say that the recent patch (2211a) released for PVD7 has fixed the problem I was having with playback of DivX files - at last Gaz
andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 18, 2007 14:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Patch 2211A won't install. It brings up an error basically saying i haven't installed it which i did.
Jason_Hockey_Player [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2007 21:04 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
That patch version for Power DVD 7 is outdated. 2412 is the latest I think. Im a nice ice hockey player!
Boris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2007 17:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
hello,
i just upgraded from PowerDVD 5 to 7 de luxe.
it cannot play avi or other files (displayed just as sound with psycho screen, only vob eg DVDs seem to be supported
the downloaded setup uninstalled all previous prog versions and should contain all recent drivers...?!
i would be a happy man if anybody knows...
thank you for your kind support to a new member
BS
Ketil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 13, 2008 07:41 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I contacted support with the same issue, and got a standard answer about resolution and drivers, but still no go hmm...???
Dana [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2010 16:05 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello! I realize this is an old thread, but I did have this same issue recently with PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra playing downloaded .avi files. I am running XP Professional SP3, an ATI Radeon 3650, and a Dell SP2309 display set for the maximum 2048 x 1152 resolution. I tried the usual clean-install techniques, but the result was always the same, PowerDVD would crash and burn instead of playing the file. The previous posts got me to realize that the DivX codecs were probably interfering with PowerDVD; so using the DivX Playback Configuration utility, I unchecked all the boxes on the Decoder tab and turned off the Post Processing Level on the Playback tab. Maybe disabling every one of the DivX enhancements was not necessary, but the fix worked perfectly; avi files play fine now, with full PowerDVD functionality. Best regards, Dana