Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pause on Crossfade
sging1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wales UK Joined: Jun 03, 2012 12:36 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I have just come back to Power Director from VideoStudio pro x5 as I liked what the new version of PD now has, I purchased the full Ultimate suite.

To get into the software again I have just started editing some old video footage converted from VHS to AVI format on some semi pro conversion equipment. However in the editing process I have hit two issues already.

1. The first one which has stopped me from going any further is that when I use cross fade there is a pause on the scene going out and again whilst it is fading back in on the next scene. I have created an MPEG2 file and it is the same on there. I tried to reproduce it by creating another project using the same footage but with just two scenes to create a smaller file to upload here but it dosent happen on that one. Any ideas what is causing it on the project I am working on?

2. I am also using a black colour board to create a long fade into black before fading into the next scene, the problem is that it shows black on the timeline but pink on the playback. I used a pink colour board at the beginning but all the rest should be black. I did try a blue one but that shows as pink as well. It does however show as black on the finished MPEG2 file but it does spoil the editing experience.

Regards
Stephen
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
sging1,
your pink issue may be an outdated video driver.
Could you post (attach) a dxdiag file for us?
There is no personal info in the file, just hardware/driver techie stuff.
PART A & B please, from this link.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page
Then we can talk about transitions.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
sging1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry

Happy New Year!

Thanks for the replay. The PD build version is 11.0.0.2418 and I have attached the file.
The graphics driver was updated on the 28/12/2012 to the newest version.

Just an update on the transitions problem, it seems better when I change it to fade from crossfade but I would like to use crossfade if possible. It just seems to pause the video in and out until the transition is complete.

Cheers
Stephen
 Filename
sging1_DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
342 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Your system seems fine, and as you may know, there are several different ways to implement a transition. If all you want is a common fade, you can try just fading the video out in MODIFY, and the following clip fade in, smooth as silk.
That way you don't even NEED an actual transition. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Two other suggestions

1) Return your Windows font to 100& (96 dpi)

2) I can't tell but i bet you have the 310.xx driver; roll that back to the 306.xx. That 310.xx driver seems to give some people problems even with the latest patch. Unless you do a lot of gaming that update is supposed to fix, you will not see any loss.

OOps, make that three: Turn of hardware encoding and use the software encode. Preferences/Hardware acceleration - uincheck.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 01. 2013 11:02

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have just come back to Power Director from VideoStudio pro x5 as I liked what the new version of PD now has, I purchased the full Ultimate suite.

To get into the software again I have just started editing some old video footage converted from VHS to AVI format on some semi pro conversion equipment. However in the editing process I have hit two issues already.

1. The first one which has stopped me from going any further is that when I use cross fade there is a pause on the scene going out and again whilst it is fading back in on the next scene. I have created an MPEG2 file and it is the same on there. I tried to reproduce it by creating another project using the same footage but with just two scenes to create a smaller file to upload here but it dosent happen on that one. Any ideas what is causing it on the project I am working on?

2. I am also using a black colour board to create a long fade into black before fading into the next scene, the problem is that it shows black on the timeline but pink on the playback. I used a pink colour board at the beginning but all the rest should be black. I did try a blue one but that shows as pink as well. It does however show as black on the finished MPEG2 file but it does spoil the editing experience.

Regards
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

One way that we might be able to see what is happening would be for you to create a short project where you are seeing the two problems you described occur and then "Produce" it using the YouTube up loader within PowerDirector 11. Select the "Online" tab, then select YouTube.

Make sure that you have the "share timeline info on DirectorZone" box checked off.

Once this is uploaded to YouTube, DirectorZone will embed this video clip and include a snapshot of your timeline. As the video plays back you can view the timeline in real time. This might be helpful information to see how you set up your timeline. Just a thought.

Post a link to it here so we can then take a look at it.

It would end up looking like this for us to see. It may provide some clues as to what is going on. My guess is that you are seeing the pause of the previous scene during the transition into the next scene is "by design". It has been noticed by others in the past. I think that it is "by design", and not something you can correct. Just to clarify, the previous scene pauses for an instant during the transition into the next scene? You are not seeing a smooth continuous movement from one scene into the next as expected?

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/video/12308998

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2013 06:52

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I usually hide those hiccups with a transition or other distracting addition. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
sging1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great thanks everyone I'll try all of that but I'll start by looking at the graphics driver which is 310.70 which came out on the 28/12/2012 but strangely they have brought another one out yesterday. I'll try the new 310.90 and if that dosent improve things I'll roll back to 306 as I don't use the PC for games.

Cheers again

Regards
Stephen
[Post New]
Quote:

I had the same problem in PD10 and still have in PD11 (I have written about this problem many months ago)
My workaround: I am using keyframe option on neighbouring clips and set about 20% of transparency on the borders.
A lot of work but I have no idea to have similar effect for cross fading

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2013 07:27

sging1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi guys

Sorry about resurrecting this post but I am still having trouble with the frame freezing for a second immediately preceding the transition on the cross fade setting. Since originally posting I have put in a new high performance recommended graphics card but the same thing keeps happening.

I am having a new purpose built video editing PC built so I hope this fault does not happen on this one. I just thought I would update this post encase someone is having the same problem or have found a cure.

Stephen.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi guys

Sorry about resurrecting this post but I am still having trouble with the frame freezing for a second immediately preceding the transition on the cross fade setting.

Switch your transition to OVERLAP mode, and see if that satisfies. Right-click the transition and click on MODIFY TRANSITION BEHAVIOR.

If still no joy, try dropping the two clips to separate video tracks. Overlap the tracks by about one second.

On track two (the overlay track), adjust opacity to zero at the head of the clip. Add a keyframe about a second later and run opacity up to 100% for that frame. (Moving the keyframe right or left will change the length of the transition.) Takes some practice.

[Thumb - trans.PNG]
 Filename
trans.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
387 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 21. 2013 10:28

RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I just did an in depth Tutorial on using the various Transitions as well as timing etc. See link here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28444.page

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
sging1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks both for your input.

Just another update. I have just set up and installed PD on a brand new custom built PC built for video editing. Just tried cross-fade and the same thing happens the video clip pauses for one second as it cross-fades. Overlap is fine but this moves all the tracks to the left a few seconds, which is a pain when your syncing a few tracks and multiple cameras.

As an example, I do MarryOke and need to sync the video to an audio track. I sync all the mouth movements and then I may go back to the middle and decide a particular transition will look good but I need to use cross-fade so it doesn't move any of the tracks as soon as I put it in as overlap the whole video goes out of sync by a few seconds.

Regards
Stephen
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Just tried cross-fade and the same thing happens the video clip pauses for one second as it cross-fades. Overlap is fine but this moves all the tracks to the left a few seconds, which is a pain when syncing a few tracks and multiple cameras.

Clarifying an earlier post to this thread...
That's the nature of overlap. See HELP|transitions. Dependent upon the video, cross fades may freeze in mid-transition. That too is their nature. For a cross fade, there is a convoluted workaround, if the TO clip has extra video at its beginning, so it can be extended.

Drop the TO clip down to another video track. Then click its left border and drag that border to the left to accommodate the transition duration you desire. This adds video to the head of the TO clip. Do not drag the clip itself or sync will be lost.

Double-click the TO clip. In the opacity field (blue letters - at the right) click the ADD KEYFRAME diamond. Click SAVE.

Back in the edit window, there will be a small dot at the left-hand side of the TO clip. Position the pointer over it and it will turn red. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the dot all the way down. Then click the opacity green line about a half-inch to the right and drag it up to the top. This will create a new keyframe (an added dot). This takes the place of a standard FADE transition.

Ignore the attachment here (which would be deleted if that feature were enabled). Refer to the image in my earlier post.
[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
97 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jun 07. 2013 00:14

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please start a new topic if you have an issue members need to assist you on. Reference an older thread by providing the page's url, do not "hijack" or "resurrect" an older topic by adding a post.

What you think is the same, may only be passingly similar!

This thread is now locked.
Forum Moderator