Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best Storage Setup for Video Editing
metazone21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2012 00:15 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I’m looking to see what’s the best storage setup for Video Editing (I'm in the process of researching what I need to build a video editing PC -- I have a decent idea on CPU, GPU, PSU, MB, RAM, etc.). When video editing, different source files will be read in and then cut-and-pasted and then a new file will be rendered. I’ll be rendering as the original source footage quality.

Questions:
1. Is the storage a bottleneck during rendering?
2. Where do you render the new file (which requires a codec)? Should it go to an SSD and then the rendered file is copied to your HD later (after rendering)? Or should it go directly to its final storage place – e.g.. 10000 RPM HD? Should the ‘rendering’ area be at least 100GB of free space with 60GB contiguous?
2a. What ports to external storage (HDs) - 6 Gb/sec SATA port?
2b. When an SSD is connected, what is the port that's used?
3. What is the best setup – where should Win 7, CyberDirector, your ‘source’ video files, and the rendering area be in terms of a setup with SSDs and/or HDs?
4. Should RAID configuration be used?
5. Should the audio and video sources (and rendered results) be separated into separate files and put onto different HDs?
6. What do you usually store the raw footage on to ensure that it’s around for a while (e.g. hard drive failures, etc.) – do you put MTS files onto DVDs?
7. How often do you defrag source files?

Thanks,
Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2012 21:16

jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
You don't need anything too fancy as both CPU/GPU rendering is slower than the read/write speeds of a 7200rpm drive. If you are using SVRT then drive speed will be more important as much of this process is copying the source to the destination without rendering... but even then it is fine. What you want is plenty of space to hold everthing. PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
To give some figures to the above statement, on my setup I have two 25TB Pools (one pool made up entirly of 4TB 7200rpm Hitachi and the other with a mix of these as slower 2TB 5400 Green WD that I'm slowing swaping out). I use DriveBender to present these as a single drive (so there is some Overhead from Drive Bender) On
- large file transfers I get a consistant 110MBytes/sec (eg saturating my Gigabit NW at almost 900Mbits/sec). note: throughput falls as file size decreases due to the overhead ratio increasing.

If you look at bit rates for DVD they max out around 10Mbits/sec and for BD 50Mbits/sec..... both are a fraction of the drives max throughput (eg 1% and 5% respectivly) PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
i kind of agree with jmone, the 7200 rpm drives and sata iii internal drives are more than fast enough. And you can never have too many.

i use one 1TB for digitizing, one 2TB for in work files and one 2TB for finished projects. I have a dozen 500 MB and a few 1.5TB externals for raw footage storge and finsihed product archives. (the externals are only powered up when i need a file ... hopefully they will last a while that way. I never throw away the original tapes, disks, cards etc, new media is cheaper than recreation.)

I have several esata externals, which are faster than usb transfer. When ever I see a good buy on 2TB externals, i always grab a couple... black friday can be useful

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2012 23:08

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
metazone21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2012 00:15 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for both replies -- I really appreciate it. To be honest, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed in the analysis area ... I want to build my own PC (but never have) and I want to make sure that I don't mess it up and have a PC that doesn't give me what I need for faster video editing but ... I'm also a real newbie with this, looking to only do home video stuff, and I'd like to incrementally add as I need. From your responses, it seems like it would be sufficient to just get a 10000 or 7500 rpm HD w/o SSDs, right? I am thinking to get two internal HDs -- I'll have them either 7500 or 10000 rpms.

I was going to go w/ the intel i7-3770 w/ the built-in HD4000 graphics and not get the extra GPU (based on analysis I read at Click here - Test1 and at Click here - Test2).

I was then going to use the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE for a motherboard but now I'm wondering b/c I saw that your GIGABYTE board has more SATA ports at 6 gb/s. The Asus has 2 SATAs that are 6g/s and 4 that are 3 gb/s ... plus there looks like an additional eSata at 6gb/s (the latter is not shown on the specs - Click here - Specs for ASUS but it's shown here in a diagram Click here - ASUS Diagram). Given that if I have SATA and eSATA at 6gb/s, it shouldn't matter if I have internal or external, right? Should I look for a motherboard with more SATA / eSATA 6gb/sec ports?